• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Willow "Wonderland #5" Released 06/03/13 (Dark Horse)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
18179_zps898c6913.jpg

Willow's search for magic has led her to some strange worlds with mysterious creatures, fantastical spells, lost love, and new friends (as well as enemies). As her journey speeds toward its end, Willow lands within a rather morbid landscape where the greatest evil she'll have to confront is herself if she's ever to make it home again.

Source DarkHorse

tbessie

Demonic Monstrosity
Ok, so what is (spoilers)...

... so what is that huge "body" she was in? What was it? What dimension was that? How does it know who Willow is? etc. etc.?

Is there ever any mention of this thing/entity in the Buffy/Willow mythos? Or was it just another Deus Ex Machina, as it were?

And I guess its gift was to turn her into a source of magic, like a demon or Power or whatever, kinda?

- Tim

Anca

Potential
I think Willow got a large quantity of magic, but she started using it on "non-essential" stuff. The reserve will be empty one day

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
The giant creature seemed to be the source of magic in the universe... maybe the "goddess" that Willow invokes.

This explains why Willow was still alive 200 years in the future in ToYL, and why some (but not all) magic has returned to the world by then.

I can see Willow being the end of Severin. In most cases for him, draining someone of magic is like drinking a bottle of water. Even in Illyria's case, it would just be like drinking a big jug of water. With Willow, though, it would be like trying to drink a bottle connected to the ocean. He'll pop like a water balloon.

I also think Willow will be able to fix what's wrong with Dawn by re-charging the Key's batteries.

I'm afraid, though, that Willow is now too powerful to go on being a Scooby, basically part of Buffy's support team. I doubt she'll be a major presence in season 10. A separate Willow comic or graphic novel might be a very worthwhile idea, though.

Anca

Potential
I can see Willow being the end of Severin. In most cases for him, draining someone of magic is like drinking a bottle of water. Even in Illyria's case, it would just be like drinking a big jug of water. With Willow, though, it would be like trying to drink a bottle connected to the ocean. He'll pop like a water balloon.
Or Willow could return Illyria's powers if they were drained by Severin. But that or re-charging the Key's batteries would again be fixing things to her will/liking. So what did she learned from her journey so far?

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
But Illyria having her powers, and Dawn being the Key (and being alive) are the way things are supposed to be. Illyria and the Key both have the right to their own powers. There would be nothing wrong with Willow giving them back what's theirs.

In being given her new powers, Willow has also been entrusted with deciding how to use them. The "source of magic" wouldn't have empowered her like this if it didn't believe she would make the right choices. Any person with power uses it to bend the world to their will.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I honestly think that this could go either way. #5 leaves it pretty open-ended. I think a lot depends on where the other Scoobs are at with things too. Man I feel like I need to to back and re-read TOYL! But overall I ended up really liking the Willow mini-series.

In general for me, season 9 is kind of flip-flopped from season 8: I enjoyed the first half of s8 better than the second half while I'm enjoying the latter half of s9 than the first half. I really couldn't see where it was going and drunk Buffy just pissed me off in the beginning lol. But I like the way things are going & how they're tieing things together now. I don't know that I understand it all but it's intriguing.

Cohen

Hellhound
^^ I definitely like how we've gone back to the basics. I hated slayer army. I have hated slayer army since potential army in 2003. It's just too grand scale for the show I loved. I liked the core group battling evil every week. The army was interesting to fight the first. But besides the metaphor of every potential, a slayer, it just didnt play well in story form. There was too much. There was too much going on behind the scenes during Angel S5, the little we got to know about what was happening.

As the comic has focused more and more on Buffy herself, it has been better. Well, I've liked the new team of her and billy. I'm still pissed at Xander and Dawn for leaving the fight. I never saw that happening.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
I enjoyed the series, I like that Willow has acknowledged her failings as a character and I look forward to seeing her reintegrate with the group.

I wonder what this means for future Willow, it could be that she was given a limited amount of power to get her to that point in the future, or it could be that restoring her power will change that future. I think we'll see more of the future and have that explored more.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
I thought Willows fight with Rack was rather lackluster. I'm sure well be seeing him again since we never actually saw him die.

It will be interesting to see how Willow reincorporates herself into the scoobie gang.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I enjoyed the series, I like that Willow has acknowledged her failings as a character and I look forward to seeing her reintegrate with the group.

And I, of course, HATED this series. I don't think she really acknowledged anything. She's still buying into her "sorceress supreme" garbage. This series was like a fan love-letter to Willow more than anything else. Ugh.

I did like Rack coming back, though.

racheltng

Potential
Where's Willow?

Overall, I was not impressed with this series. The dialogue vacillated between boring and trite. Willow's voice didn't sound like Willow at all, not even season 8/9 Willow. Most importantly, Willow didn't seem to learn anything about herself. So she'll try to share and be a little less selfish. She's still on the path to become the Dark Willow we saw in Fray.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
[No message]

Plasma

Mistress of the Dark
Staff member
Black Thorn
Several years late to the party, but I just finished the trade and I actually enjoyed it just fine. Definitely wasn't the best story in Buffy comics, but I didn't think it was bad.

Only thing that bothered me was that the ending seemed really unclear. So, did she not have to go on the quest at all? The book made it sound like she had the magic inside of her all along (hokey as that sounds). Was coming to terms with both of her "sides" really what unlocked her magical potential, because it seemed like magic was well and truly gutted at the end of S8. Just felt questionable as an ending to an otherwise interesting, if very "not-Buffy feeling", series.

Top Bottom