• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Do you feel sorry for Dru because she lost Spike to "The Slayer"?

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
After a century the relationship goes bust.

Also, do you think that had Dru not gotten naughty with Mr Slime and Antlers...she and Spike would have gone on their merry murderous way and he wouldn't have returned to SD and Buffy?

Black Thorn
No. I think she knew she lost Spike to Buffy as soon as he met her in 'School Hard'. He had a thing for slayers and here's this pretty blonde who's a match for him in every way? She knew he'd love that....
I agree. It was love at first sight for Spike. The fact that Buffy resembled his great grandmother was probably just icing on the cake.

thetopher
thetopher
Oh, I remember. Anne Pratt was supposed to be like Buffy right?
Black Thorn
LOL no,
upload_2016-3-14_10-59-13.png

Buffy resembles Darla.. Darla is Spike's great-grandmother.

thetopher
thetopher
Aha! Gotcha. The other is pretty icky. :P
Wildfly
Wildfly
We never see any meaningful Spike-Dru dynamics... or Spike mentioning Darla? not sure they were that interested in each other. Unless i am missing something?

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
No, first of all because I don't think Dru really cared that much (no soul and all). She didn't seem to broken up about losing Spike per say, mostly that her companion in destruction for so many years was going to leave her for someone on the opposite team.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I don't think it was Dru who did the losing here - so I don't feel sorry for her, because she got what she wanted.
I dunno. 'Crush' happened- Drusilla wanted Spike back so they could all be a family again. Spike picked Buffy so Dru lost.

Afterwards she went away for a good long while, she just seems lost now, desparately trying to create a new family. But that just be the way she's been written by some- poorly.

I don't feel sorry for her though, mainly because in S10 her trying to recreate family means a huge body count. She needs to be killed.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I didn't see her as being all lovey-dovey "I want you back because I love you" - she wanted to kick Angel's butt and was recruiting the best people she knew for that job. And if Dru didn't want Spike before Lover's Walk because of how he was acting, she certainly wouldn't want him in Season 5 when he was basically neutered by his feelings for Buffy.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
I dunno. 'Crush' happened- Drusilla wanted Spike back so they could all be a family again.
But do you think it's because she actually wanted Spike because he is Spike, or just so it could be the Fanged Four as she was used to?

brinkster130
brinkster130
I always thought she wanted the fanged four back together.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
But do you think it's because she actually wanted Spike because he is Spike, or just so it could be the Fanged Four as she was used to?
Thinking about it I agree with @Buffy Summers, it was more about having her family back rather than reigniting a romance with William.
Certainly once she had found out how soft he'd become she wouldn't have wanted him back. So no loss there.

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
My thoughts exactly.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Did she lose him? Didn't she kind of blow him off a bit because Angelus was back, and then blow him off again for a Slime Demon? Heck, if she hadn't "broken up" with him, wouldn't Spike still be hanging around with her, doing everything to make her happy?

Anyway, no I don't feel sorry for her for losing Spike, however...

or just so it could be the Fanged Four as she was used to?
I think this! About Crush that is.

I think Drusilla, more than the rest of them, was all about the family. I think she cared for Spike of course, but I think her main loyalty was them all being together, as a family, and that was when she was happy, and that she had a harder time forming new, meaningful relationships outside of that group. I feel sorry for her in the sense that she can never get what she wants - that old gang of hers back. Because they have changed. And she didn't. (not as much anyway)

Wildfly

blue fire
Black Thorn
I feel very sorry for Dru. :(
She got the worst deal, lost everything, her human family, her faith, was tortured to insanity and then she lost her 'daddy' and even lost Spike, who took care of her and whom she liked, when he fell for the slayer. Then she tries to piece back her family and gets burned and almost staked for her efforts.
It's as if she is not capable of holding into anything and things just keep change around her, things she has no control over while she remains the same, can foresee but unable to comprehend.

JL is soo good when playing the insane vampiress ready to pounce (poor Dalton was absolutely terrified of her, and with good reason too, she was much scarier than Spike throwing a tantrum about wanting results NOW), or being the huntress and seductress but she is terrible at playing the innocent, fragile girl Dru sometimes turns into, and that simple white dress they put her into doesn't help a bit.
Dru always looks creepy and dangerous (even in those flashbacks when she is human), and thats probably why it's hard to feel sorry for her.

Last edited:

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
JL is soo good when playing the insane vampiress ready to pounce (poor Dalton was absolutely terrified of her, and with good reason too, she was much scarier than Spike throwing a tantrum about wanting results NOW), or being the huntress and seductress but she is terrible at playing the innocent, fragile girl Dru sometimes turns into, and that simple white dress they put her into doesn't help a bit.
Dru always looks creepy and dangerous (even in those flashbacks when she is human), and thats probably why it's hard to feel sorry for her.
I find her vamp face one of the most terrifying and disturbing. I'm not sure exactly why, but it literally sends a shudder through me.

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
She scared me with her Vamp face too :)

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
Did she lose him? Didn't she kind of blow him off a bit because Angelus was back, and then blow him off again for a Slime Demon? Heck, if she hadn't "broken up" with him, wouldn't Spike still be hanging around with her, doing everything to make her happy?
I still think, even if Dru hadn't bumped uglies with Angelus and had a slimy antler demon boyfriend after dumping Spike, that Spike still would have ended up lusting after Buffy, purely because she is the slayer and that's his ultimate fantasty.

She also had the power of foresight, so maybe she saw Spike leaving her in her future and decided to do something about it, breaking up with Spike first, technically pushing him into the path of the slayer?

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
Sort of. But not strikingly so imo.
I believe I heard somewhere that the woman they cast to play Spike's Mum in season 7 was chosen for her resemblance to SMG. They gave her the name Anne because it was Buffy's middle name. They definitely seemed to be playing up the fact Spike was attracted to Buffy because she reminded him or her mother and that is partly why her family became his family, hence sisterly feelings towards Dawn, motherly feelings towards Joyce.

I feel sorry for Dru but I don't think she would have wanted chipped Spike or souled Spike. She jast wanted her family together. I think she loved Spike but knew Spike loved the slayer. She was hoping she could tempt him back into the fold but realized it was a lost cause.

Black Thorn
I feel very sorry for Dru. She has the most tragic story out of the four vamps, and yet even though Angelus was obsessed with her, both him and Darla were annoyed by her and didn't care much about her. Spike was the only one who loved her, and then he chose someone else, and was going to kill her. She's also the only one who never had a shot at redemption, but who deserved it the most.

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
[No message]