• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Do you find it hard to keep up with reading the comics?

Priceless

Scooby
The trouble is that there are so many! First Buffy, then Angel, then the Hellmouth crossover, then Angel became Angel & Spike, then there's going to be a new Willow comic, and a Generations comic and a Chosen Ones comic . . . There is also a Firefly comic. (Boom are so mercenary, they'll soon have a different comic for each character as a way of getting more money out of us)

I follow Boom and some of the writers/artist on twitter in the hope that I'll notice when they mention something is being published, otherwise I rely on the board to let me know :)

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I'm afraid that I don't have any good tips.
Have fallen way behind myself and now it kinda feels like a chore to try to figure out where I was and which comics even exists etc. etc.

Agree with Priceless. There has become too many different series that intervene with each other.
That sounds cool and good in theory but it in reality it has just made me not being able to take the time to figure everything out so I can continue.

/SK

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
Yes, I fell off years ago. The price and the crazy volume are both daunting. Even after posting here, more than once I believe, that I intended to catch up, I am still so way behind that I doubt I will ever actually do so.

TriBel

Scooby
I find I fall behind often (in all comics). Anyone have any tricks to staying up to date?
Nope. I just admitted defeat with Boom, give in gracefully and stopped reading. 😄 I came to BtVS comics about halfway through the DH comics, which meant I could buy all the IDW and early DH as omnibus or Library Editions and I'm up to date with them (though I wasted money in the middle buying electronic copies/trades and LEs). I'm quite happy to stay out of the loop and then buy Omnibus Eds at the end (or cheat and find them online) if I like them. I might buy Angel and Spike.

Comixology usually give you a clear indication of the order to read plus the US version has a Comixology Unlimited which gives you access to electronic copies for a small monthly fee. It's not available in the UK but if it was I'd use it and then buy the trades or omnibuses as hard copy.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I would like to read them, however while I do know I can buy online, I just tend to forget that I can and prefer going to a real shop, which I can't get to often (even before lockdown) so I miss issues all too frequently.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Should add that with the Dark Horse comics I had a subscription on a Swedish comic store so they would automatically send me the latest comic each month which made things much easier.
With the drawback of them arriving several weeks/months late... So it was hard not to get spoiled and the discussion had died a long time ago when it finally arrived to me.

Last I checked they didn't have the Boom comics though. Guess I should check again some day...

/SK

white avenger

white avenger
I had subscriptions to everything from the beginning of Season 8 to the end of Season 12, and the "After The Fall" arc and enjoyed every issue. The new Boom series, on the other hand, just doesn't interest me at all.

Priceless

Scooby
I forgot that I had a subscription too for the DH comics. I think I started with a subscription for the Boom comics, but I stopped that after the first few issues. I think subscriptions are the only foolproof way of not missing an issue.

@TriBel you should definitely read the Angel (&Spike) comics, they are the best Boom has to offer, though the writer is changing soon, so they might not stay as good.

TriBel
TriBel
Yeah...I'll probably get the trades when they come out. Thanks for the alert - I've just realised it's 4.30! Where's the night gone and why am I not tired?

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I fell behind so I stopped reading in season 10. I think when I pick back up I will read from the library, either print or digital. I probably won’t purchase them unless it’s something I especially like.

famicommander

Potential
It's a pain if you only read physical comics like I do.

They closed the comic book store I went to for years.

The comic store nearest my house is terrible. They only carry the most popular Marvel and DC books and they don't even bother to alphabetize them. Most of their inventory is overpriced plastic junk collectibles and the employees are rarely seen.

So I subscribed to the Buffy series right from Boom's website.

Then they launched Angel, so I subscribed to that too.

But then Hellmouth. Chosen Ones, Every Generation, and Willow aren't included in either subscription so I have to remember to track each one down individually and get hosed on shipping.

But to this point I own every Buffy comic ever released. Even the weird stuff like the untitled Angel Dark Horse Extra series and the Buffy Rogues Gallery stuff that was never collected until the new Boom collections. So I'm not going to switch to digital.

And then the Coronavirus really destroyed the timeframes on the releases so I'm getting my comics at seemingly random intervals and they're not always in proper reading order.

So yeah, it's been a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom