• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Do you find Nathan Fillion hot?

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Nathan Fillion reminds me too much of John Barrowman (minus the gay) in that both are just walking embodiments of "Captain Cheesecake". While they look the physical part of the male hero, they're so drenched in parody and comedy that they can't be taken seriously and their dramatic chops are a weak point for both (though I've seen Barrowman stretch his chops more than Fillion, but it's still not his strong point). And there is absolutely no pathos there. Nathan might have played Mal, but he was also someone who was an easy casting decision for Captain Hammer (talk about Joss' nasty inferiority complex issues about traditional male heroes) to completely tear down the character archetype because he's not a serious example of it.

David Boreanaz, on the other hand, has the physical look, but also is capable of projecting the hero's personality in a completely sincere, unironic way. Nothing you can throw at him with every kind of ridiculousness that would completely destroy most other characters with similar archetypes (whether it be his dorky dancing or making him into a Muppet) can ever remove the fact that he remains completely credible as an ass-kicking, edgy, even dark, serious action hero with a lot of vulnerability and pathos. Throwing at them any of the things that David could easily do without in any way destroying Angel's credibility as a tortured, brooding, epic, dramatic hero would have flat-out ruined most other actors' ability to project the same. Can you even imagine Nathan trembling on a floor and completely vulnerable?

The thought of Nathan in the role of my beloved Angel over David makes me twitch, as well. He didn't actually get far in the audition process, though. He wasn't in any way a frontrunner.

caitaintdead
caitaintdead
Well written. I never thought of it like this, but you're 100% correct.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I wouldn't go as far as 'hot' but he is certainly good-looking (as if anyone in the Whedonverse is ever gonna be bad/normal-looking! pfff!) and charming. There's an easiness to his voice and behaviour which is just great to watch.

I didn't know Nathan auditioned for Angel. Makes me twitch too.
Nathan Fillion reminds me too much of John Barrowman (minus the gay) in that both are just walking embodiments of "Captain Cheesecake". While they look the physical part of the male hero, they're so drenched in parody and comedy that they can't be taken seriously and their dramatic chops are a weak point for both (though I've seen Barrowman stretch his chops more than Fillion, but it's still not his strong point). And there is absolutely no pathos there. Nathan might have played Mal, but he was also someone who was an easy casting decision for Captain Hammer (talk about Joss' nasty inferiority complex issues about traditional male heroes) to completely tear down the character archetype because he's not a serious example of it.

David Boreanaz, on the other hand, has the physical look, but also is capable of projecting the hero's personality in a completely sincere, unironic way.
Never thought about comparing the two before now but I think you're absolutely correct in your assessment here ^^

I do remember Joss saying in an interview/commentary that he was considering David for the role of Mal, but then there were chickens involved in the scene and it freaked David out - but I was never sure if that was a joke or whether he did really want him for the part at first...?
I'm glad we had Nathan though. Love him! :)

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
With regard to the issue of hair, I think the man makes the hair. Meaning, a haircut style looks bad....until the right guy/woman wears it. Then suddenly it's good. And our heads are all different, which means we will look better in different styles. Therefore I don't categorically dismiss hair styles.

I think Nathan Fillion is a good looking guy. I'm not sure about the hot part, but he's clearly a few solid grades above milk toast average, for sure.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Not really. I don't think he's "hot". He's cute and his charming personality helps. But I'm not attracted to him.

Puppet
Puppet
To each their own, right? We don't wanna be little twinlet automatons :D

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I do remember Joss saying in an interview/commentary that he was considering David for the role of Mal, but then there were chickens involved in the scene and it freaked David out - but I was never sure if that was a joke or whether he did really want him for the part at first...?
I'll caveat this by saying that I have only seen Serenity and never Fire Fly (Please do not throw things at me I'm going to watch it I promise.) I love Nathon Fillion as Mal but I think I could have really got into DB as Mal based on early Bones DB. A bit cocky. A mix between Angelus and Bones?

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I'll caveat this by saying that I have only seen Serenity and never Fire Fly (Please do not throw things at me I'm going to watch it I promise.) I love Nathon Fillion as Mal but I think I could have really got into DB as Mal based on early Bones DB. A bit cocky. A mix between Angelus and Bones?
I don't like the idea of David as Mal
Also if he was Mal
Angel wouldn't have had a 5th season.

kalike123

Townie
Nah. He's better looking than average and hasn't done the wimpy-man cosmetic surgery (or hasn't, last time I saw him), but I wouldn't call him "hot."

He's more of a Tom Hanksy kind of guy than a "OMG, he's so hot!" kind of guy.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Yeah, I think he's a good looking guy. I think the charming personalities of the characters he played enhance his looks. He sure as hell makes Mal more likeable than he ought to be.
For the record I don't find Caleb appealing- its that bowl haircut. shudder

I've also enjoyed Nathan's great voice acting work, he'll always be the Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) we all needed but never got.

vampmogs

Townie
Not remotely. There were moments throughout "Firefly" that I considered him good-looking but overall he's not my cup of tea AT ALL. Especially as Caleb with that god-awful bowl hair cut 🤢 Unfortunately, I also don't find his accent very appealing so that's a pretty big turn off as well.

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
Yes. See Example:
You must admit he can be awfully pretty

Top Bottom