• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Do you like the comics?

Comics

• Love them

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Hate them

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Haven't read them

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Wouldn't say that I love them... but I do still enjoy them.
Actually think I I enjoy them more now than I did in the beginning. Mostly because I find it easier to follow what actually happens in them these days for some reason. lol

/SK

Black Thorn
When/why did they do that? I thought many spoke positive of that?
They wanted Faith to cross over to BtVS in Season 11 but did not want Angel to get involved. I guess they didn’t want two titles focused on the same crisis? So Joss & co. decided to send Angel on a time travel road trip.

They had already moved the writer and artist who made A&F S9 so good over to BtVS anyway. I still liked A&F 10 but it wasn’t as good (though I loved the main artist).

I can’t vote in the poll because I’ve read the comics but neither love nor hate them.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
They wanted Faith to cross over to BtVS in Season 11 but did not want Angel to get involved. I guess they didn’t want two titles focused on the same crisis? So Joss & co. decided to send Angel on a time travel road trip.

They had already moved the writer and artist who made A&F S9 so good over to BtVS anyway. I still liked A&F 10 but it wasn’t as good (though I loved the main artist).

I can’t vote in the poll because I’ve read the comics but neither love nor hate them.
Should've had another option
Sorry about that :)

Grace
Grace
No worries. Just put me down as in the middle.

white avenger

white avenger
"Love" is a bit of an exaggeration, but I do read them, despite the frustration (one issue is about the equivalent of the time between commercial breaks, as far as action and story line go) Lately, I've been wondering if Disney would ever consider buying Dark Horse so that we could get crossovers with "Blade." They're buying up everything else.

Just imagine the next apocalypse comes along, and Buffy being to call in the Avengers for back up.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I like them, but it took me a while. I have liked each season more and more as I read farther along, and I really loved the latest season. I think they're worth the read. Not as great as the show imo, but they do capture a lot of the charm of the characters.

Meliza

Potential
I tried S8 but it was difficult getting into a whole new format with the show and characters we know so well, I actually read and like graphic novels but this was still new .. now I can take them as their own thing and not get hang up on the differentness of the medium... kind of the point.

I'm gonna gave them another go. I enjoyed Buffy Onmibus volume 1 pre-arrival to Sunnydale story, the theme of individual choice in that one was consistent with the essence of the show. I can get with the new as long as the spirit remains the same.

I gave them a try. It was too contradictory to the show so that it became a different universe for me, that is, like the Wishverse in that events happened differently (in addition to incorporating more "comic book reality" which I suppose is inevitable since TV and comics each have their own limitations). I can't say I actually hate them, but I simply had no interest in them.

I have enjoyed some Buffy comics that aren't seasons 8+, however. For example, this one that bridges season 5 and 6 was brilliant, IMO, and did not contradict the show so bad as season 8 did:

The Death of Buffy

gnarl

Potential
Sineya
Comics and television are quite different viewing experiences so it takes quite a jump to get into the new format. It's definitely a shift and I wasn't overwhelmed with season 8 initially, but the comics have become very dear to me over time.
There are even some things that worked better for me in the comics than the series. An example of this is Dracula; I really didn't like the Dracula episode in season 5 and so I wasn't exited to see him return in the comics at first but they play his on his campiness well. He's a delightful mix of deadly and ridiculous.

Comics and television are quite different viewing experiences so it takes quite a jump to get into the new format. It's definitely a shift and I wasn't overwhelmed with season 8 initially, but the comics have become very dear to me over time.
There are even some things that worked better for me in the comics than the series. An example of this is Dracula; I really didn't like the Dracula episode in season 5 and so I wasn't exited to see him return in the comics at first but they play his on his campiness well. He's a delightful mix of deadly and ridiculous.
I agree that Dracula is fantastic in the comics, especially when we get to see his as he really is. I love his relationship with Xander and his 'Peter Lorre' butler (I've forgotten his name!)

Sineya
I went from "loving them as much as the show" in early season 8, to "mostly liking them" now. Since the end of season 8, when Joss stepped back from personally contributing to them, Christos Gage has been the only writer I've consistently liked. The art has been mostly good throughout.

With a new Joss-written miniseries about to start, I'm hoping it signals a new era of involvement by him. I think without that, the comics might be on life support. Circulation of the Buffy comic has fallen below 10,000 from a high of over 100,000 at the start of season 8. They are still among Dark Horse's top selling titles, so I doubt they're eager to cancel it, but I'm wondering if they'll be able to attract the talent they need to make the comics good.

They're super inconsistent, ranging from dog turd to transcendent masterpiece, but I love them. Collecting and geeking out about the canonicity and chronology is honestly what made me such a huge Buffy/Whedon fan in the first place. I didn't watch the show when it aired, but I've bought the (canon) comics since Season 8 #1 in 2007.

To be more specific-
Buffy canon continuations: Very inconsistent, but rarely outright bad.

Angel Dark Horse canon continuations: Inconsistent again, but unlike Buffy, they've just stopped trying with Angel the last few years.

IDW Angel by Brian Lynch: Incredible.

IDW Angel by everyone else: Inconsistent, but fun, and ultimately significantly better than Dark Horse's stuff.

Canon spinoffs (Tales, Fray): Near perfect.

"Classic" Dark Horse noncanon comics: Very few bright spots, with some absolute trash, but they can be quite charming.

Serenity comics: Couldn't have asked for anything better.