• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Do you think Xander is annoying?

S Rou

Potential
Should he have been replaced with a different male character?

I often see a lot of people say they can't stand him.

Black Thorn
Yes, I think he is annoying, no I don't think he should have been replaced. It's the type of character they wanted for the dynamic.

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
No to both questions. Lots of people respectively can't stand all other characters either. Should they have been replaced too?

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Personally. Yes. Xander is one of my least favourite characters in the whole buffyverse & I find him very annoying.

To the replacement question. No. I think whether you love or hate him, he was an integral part of the scoobies original dynamic to take out.

I never found Xander annoying. Especially in high school, he made me laugh more than any other character. I also enjoy his fights with Buffy and his differing POV. My Xander is no lapdog, he speaks his mind, even if he's wrong, gotta respect that. ;)

If you replace Xander, I wouldn't be here since he's the reason I read fanfiction of the show and then watched it. And without me, you wouldn't have someone shoving the Spander relationship in your faces. :D

peaceofmind18
peaceofmind18
Me too he's the main reason I started and kept watching... - so no not only do I NOT think he's annoying OP - Like sosa lola I think he's pretty awesome.
Wait. You read the show's fanfiction BEFORE you watched the show?
I watched a few scenes and The Zeppo, but didn't get into it until I got addicted to Spander fanfiction. After I read my share of fics, I finally tuned in to watch the show, but was too disappointed to hear that Spander wasn't a canon ship. Let's just say, I read so many printed fics about how hot Spike was but never bothered to search for Spike's picture. When I finally saw Spike I was a bit let down, fanfic built him up to be incredibly attractive and he didn't really live up to my expectations.

Mr. Pole: Wow. That's awesome. And incredibly weird. I can't wrap my head around it! But I don't get fanfic anyway so... I just would never have thought it would come before watching the show.
My sister used to be a huge fan of the show and Spander and she used to print the fics to read them while on the car. I started reading some of the fics she printed and got hooked.

Last edited:
Spanky
Spanky
Wow. That's awesome. And incredibly weird. I can't wrap my head around it! But I don't get fanfic anyway so... I just would never have thought it would come before watching the show.

Alittlegrim

Stuck In The Middle
I actually though he was really funny when I first saw it. I can see what people mean now about him being a bit annoying but that is part of the character, as was acknowledged when Anya called him out as a "scared, insecure, little boy" in season 6. This is largely true and not surprising given his position. He also has a lot of pent up anger from not being able to help as much as he would like. First really shown when he puts his fist though a wall in "The Body" (5.15).