• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Do you wish Spuffy got together sooner?

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I think they got together at the right time. I also don't know if S5 Buffy would have ever been open to the idea of Spike as a partner. I think S6 created the scenario where she gave into her desires, and then S7 created the platform for them to build a nice relationship :)

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Well said
DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
This!!

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Yeah I don't think it could have happened any other way. I like that they had glimpses of their relationship in season 5 and even a comic twist on it in season 4, but they kept Buffy in character and had her wait. She had to be completely torn apart and isolated before getting into a relationship with Spike.

Spuffy freak

Potential
Regardless of how much I wanted Willow’s something blue spell never to be broken but it won’t be logical. I really like that after that their kisses were never under the influence of any magic it seemed more real and everything made perfect sense, sooner than that won’t have made sense

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I think that sparked a serious attraction... but Buffy would not be ready to give into it until things changed in her and in Spike.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Regardless of how much I wanted Willow’s something blue spell never to be broken but it won’t be logical. I really like that after that their kisses were never under the influence of any magic it seemed more real and everything made perfect sense, sooner than that won’t have made sense
I'm not so sure the "Something Blue" spell ever did get broken.

Giles' sight returns but metaphorically, he is never the guide and visionary that he once was and his leadership never gets the same respect it once had.

Xander was consistently a demon magnet after that spell. All of his romantic interests had supernatural content - slayers were part demon, Dawn was an interdimensional wall solvent, Anya was a vengeance demon and Maya, the girl in the Home Depot, was a demon. He never has any romantic interest after "Something Blue" in anyone who is not a demon or at least a supernatural being.

I don't think the Spuffy spell ever got completely erased either. In "Doomed", two episodes after "Something Blue", Spike is living in Xander's basement but in the clash with the Vahrall demons, he finds he can beat up demons without getting a shock from the chip. This pulls him out of the funk he was in and makes it possible for him to have some hope for the future and it could possibly be a future with Buffy. Buffy is standing outside the bridal shop and tells Riley she is going to marry Spike. I have a theory that once the results of the spell are communicated to someone who was not in on it, it acts as a reservoir of the spell that never gets cancelled because he was not present for the cancellation of the spell and Riley was definitely not in on it. So the backwash from this spell that was contained in Riley reactivated it as soon as he questioned Buffy about it at the end of the episode.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Great post. I had ever thought of it that way before.
DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I like this idea! I may have to steal it for one of my stories!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I don't think the Spuffy spell ever got completely erased either. In "Doomed", two episodes after "Something Blue", Spike is living in Xander's basement but in the clash with the Vahrall demons, he finds he can beat up demons without getting a shock from the chip. This pulls him out of the funk he was in and makes it possible for him to have some hope for the future and it could possibly be a future with Buffy. Buffy is standing outside the bridal shop and tells Riley she is going to marry Spike. I have a theory that once the results of the spell are communicated to someone who was not in on it, it acts as a reservoir of the spell that never gets cancelled because he was not present for the cancellation of the spell and Riley was definitely not in on it. So the backwash from this spell that was contained in Riley reactivated it as soon as he questioned Buffy about it at the end of the episode.
So are you saying that you think Spike and Buffy’s feelings for each other post “Something Blue” are magically induced?

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Well, I love Buffy and Spike's interaction, and there's chemistry between them from pretty much the moment he says 'Hello cutie!' -- but I think realistically, as people have said, Buffy wasn't gonna be ready for anything more than what she could excuse by Willow's spell until her resistance was worn down and she had more sturdy excuses for giving in.

The thing that always interested me about the way she and Spike got so very involved during the spell... when the spell's actual command was about marriage... nothing about affection or being in love or anything else... so somewhere under all that animosity, there had to be an attraction that allowed it to go as far as it went.

I love that we don't see them being sexual in season seven, even though I think they did care strongly for each other and he was her rock and trusted lieutenant. I think they had to heal from their mess of the previous year. But heal they did. By the time she sleeps in his arms in that abandoned house, they've built something real, and something healthy. They had a future to look forward to. Before that, I don't think they would have been ready for a healthy, fulfilling relationship. But by the time he burned up in the Hellmouth so that she and the world might life, they were friends, they were partners; they trusted each other absolutely. Buffy had no doubt that vampires could love, that Spike really and truly loved her... Before he returns with his soul, I'm not sure she believed she could be loved, and she definitely kept trying to look for another explanation than 'love' to explain Spike's feelings.

Spike was the one person who stayed, you never stopped supporting her, who came back.

So no, before season six, the seeds of attraction might have been there, but the waters for them to grow just weren't there yet. I wish it had happened before, but given who they both were, it happened right on time.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Agreed, great post.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
See, I would have liked to see them get together in Season 5, but that's my "they should have made Buffy love Spike without a soul" coming through.

:)
I believe she could have loved him w/o the soul. Shaming got in the way. That said, I still think his human judgments are sounder with his soul, and this makes them an even better fit!
Signed,
Unashamedly Spuffy!

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
Do you wish that Spuffy had gotten together before they did in Season 6?
Or do you feel that they got together at the right time?
I see it pragmatic. The sooner they get together, the sooner they may break up again. Which means less Will They, Won't They teasing. Less 'Need Vampire Penis To Feeeeeeel' tragedy. Less Bangel Vs. Spuffy suspense. More storylines and variety for Buffy and Spike respectively.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Lmao @ vamp penis to feel!!

Priceless

Scooby
I'm torn about this. I love what we got on the show of course, but for me more Spuffy can only be a good thing. The writers bought them together so slowly and believably that the relationship made total sense and I wonder if they'd rushed into it, the relationship wouldn't have been so interesting or emotionally complex.

Top Bottom