• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Doctor Who: Flux

Cohen

Hellhound
The first episode has premiered, and if you missed it, there are multiple ways to access it. What are your thoughts on the new series?

If you haven't seen the first episode... quit reading and go back to watch!

First off, I enjoyed the beginning scene with the Doctor and Yaz. It was nice to only have one companion at the beginning of this, and it gave us an insight into the friendship between the two. Seeing Yaz assist the Doctor in getting the TARDIS started reminded me of the past partnerships with the Doctor. And I love that midway through the episode, Yaz called the Doctor out on her evasiveness. "We're supposed to be friends." It reminded me a lot of the dynamic between Twelve and Clara, as they both keep secrets from each other.

I haven't really made a good understanding of Dan yet. He seems to come from humble roots. He focuses his time volunteering--to the point he doesn't even have food for himself. And I like that he is wise-cracking. The Dog-faced Alien was hilarious and I loved the twist after he is captured.

I'm not sure my thoughts on the Flux yet. I like that Chibnall is attempting a big event for his finale season, but it seems almost too grande. I'll be interested to see how the story unfolds. AND HOW THE WEEPING ANGELS FIT IN TO EVERYTHING.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
Me and Mehansa watched it yesterday on iPlayer and we pretty much agreed with each other on how good the episode was.
I would say overall it was a decent episode- and I wouldn't describe any of series 12's episodes as truly decent. I kind of disagree with what you said in regards to The Doctor and Yaz because I really think they're the only thing that doesn't feel like it's improved from series 11 or 12. I thought the graphics for the opening scene were awful and along with that their dialogue was so full of exposition. I get what you're saying about Yaz calling out The Doctor for being evasive because it is something old companions have done but at the same time I think it was repetitive because Yaz said pretty much the same thing to The Doctor after the whole timeless child thing was revealed. Saying that the episode surprised me because I got the feeling that true effort was being put in to fix some of what's been wrong in the past two seasons. I liked Dan a lot and I think they did a good job with the writing and/or acting because I feel as if I understand Dan better than I understand Yaz and The Doctor after their two seasons. The dog species was such a cute idea and I was very intrigued by it, and with a lot of the new monsters (and the new look for the Sontarans looks really good). So overall I would say it was decent and genuinely entertaining in parts. I'm excited for next week now!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I watched the episode, by accident, I thought the guy in charge of was not going to do a re-hash of old stuff so that dog guy why did they include him, he was an the highway in the days when Freema was his companion. Shame the show does not have the spark it used to. I won't be watching anymore of that.

Cohen

Hellhound
I watched the episode, by accident, I thought the guy in charge of was not going to do a re-hash of old stuff so that dog guy why did they include him, he was an the highway in the days when Freema was his companion. Shame the show does not have the spark it used to. I won't be watching anymore of that.
I think that this series has potential. There are a few episodes of Thirteen/Chibnall's tenure that I have loved. The Rosa Parks episode still gives me all the feels. And I liked Acension of the Cybermen, as well as Revolution of the Daleks. But overall, I've been underwhelmed. I think part of that is the 3 companions, and sharing screen time. I did not understand Captain Jack Harkness's weird "cameo" in Fugitive of the Judoon. I think what has lacked was an underlying story arc in the past 2 series, so I'm excited in that this series DOES have that story arc. I'm holding out hope for a stronger finish for Thirteen and Chibnall. And SO EXCITED for the Davies resurgence!

burrunjor

Scooby
I didn't watch it. Response seems to have been more positive than series 12, though that wouldn't be difficult LOL. It didn't do well in the ratings however.

Cohen

Hellhound
I didn't watch it. Response seems to have been more positive than series 12, though that wouldn't be difficult LOL. It didn't do well in the ratings however.
Yeah, that's why BBC is possibly taking a major blow financially by bringing back Davies and Bad Wolf Productions. There is a special mind that needs to run this show, and not everyone has it. I appreciate what Chibnall tried to do. I really appreciate him giving me a new love for Moffat. Davies is my favorite New Who Showrunner, but I just re-started series 7 with Moffat and am finding it a lot more exciting. But compared to the past 2 series... it's refreshing to go back to Moffat!

But I'm also ever the optimist, so I am trying to see silver linings in this last run for Chibnall. I'm excited to see this War with the Sontarans.
Post automatically merged:

Me and Mehansa watched it yesterday on iPlayer and we pretty much agreed with each other on how good the episode was.
I would say overall it was a decent episode- and I wouldn't describe any of series 12's episodes as truly decent. I kind of disagree with what you said in regards to The Doctor and Yaz because I really think they're the only thing that doesn't feel like it's improved from series 11 or 12. I thought the graphics for the opening scene were awful and along with that their dialogue was so full of exposition. I get what you're saying about Yaz calling out The Doctor for being evasive because it is something old companions have done but at the same time I think it was repetitive because Yaz said pretty much the same thing to The Doctor after the whole timeless child thing was revealed. Saying that the episode surprised me because I got the feeling that true effort was being put in to fix some of what's been wrong in the past two seasons. I liked Dan a lot and I think they did a good job with the writing and/or acting because I feel as if I understand Dan better than I understand Yaz and The Doctor after their two seasons. The dog species was such a cute idea and I was very intrigued by it, and with a lot of the new monsters (and the new look for the Sontarans looks really good). So overall I would say it was decent and genuinely entertaining in parts. I'm excited for next week now!
I can see what you mean about Yaz and the Doctor. I am not sure Chibnall really knew what he wanted to do with Thirteen, and that suffered with the writing and the character arcs. With Nine, you could see him struggle with his decisions in the Time War. With Ten, you could see his struggle with falling for and losing Rose and then continuing to lose companions along the way. With Eleven, we had his infatuations with both Amy Pond and Clara, and the mysteries surrounding them. Twelve was, arguably, Moffat's "I don't know what I'm doing here, let's just be whacky" but Capaldi made the Doctor captivating to watch. Thirteen has had no real direction. No underlying theme to follow. I guess that's why I'm excited about this series, because the Flux is driving the narrative, and opens up a real mystery for us to follow, which has been missing in the series for quite some time.

And don't get me started about the Retcon with the Timeless Child. It completely dismantled years of continuity, and there was no reason or payoff for it.

Last edited:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bleat at me no longer, we are done.
Black Thorn
I really wanted to like Jodie's Doctor, but after her third episode I gave up. She was even MORE annoying than Clara and Martha, so I tuned out. Nor did I care for her companions; I absolutely loved Amy, Rory, Donna, and Rose...those were characters that were well-written, plus Karen, Arthur, Catherine, and Billie were adorable.

God, I hope Russell manages to fix the current mess of Doctor Who. It would be really nice if Steven writes a few episodes as well. And we can go back to the Doctor being a TIME LORD.

Bop
Bop
I think we're going to see tons of Doctors return for the 60th- maybe Moffat could write something for that.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I guess that's why I'm excited about this series, because the Flux is driving the narrative, and opens up a real mystery for us to follow, which has been missing in the series for quite some time.

Yeah I'm definitely intrigued by the Flux- but cautiously so because I think Chibnall saw the Timeless Child thing as the mystery he set up for Thirteen in season 12 so it's kind of questionable how this mystery will turn out and maybe it could even be related to the Timeless Children because as stupid as Chibnall is I don't think he's going to leave that mystery in season 12. It hurts with Jodie because I'm trying to see improvement (which I do see in some other areas) but her and Yaz are the worst things about the show when they're supposed to be the best things.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
Anyone catch today's episode? I think it was sadly really awful- such a let down because I found the first 2 episodes enjoyable but this one had so many issues.

It was difficult to follow, and I can't understand why they're spending time on Vinder and introducing a girlfriend character for him, they've not given us a reason to care about Vinder as far as I'm concerned, so why would I care about him getting back to his girlfriend. The only other function to his girlfriend is that we learn sectors of the universe are being taken over by creatures like the Daleks and the Cybermen- okay but Chibnall puts exposition into The Doctor's mouth nonstop so that could have been another line. Why introduce Dan to ignore him and ignore Yaz in favour of these new characters when we have 3 episodes and some specials left of this era.
It's just so odd.
The only good thing to come out of this episode is the idea that The Doctor is causing the Flux, I liked that idea and Jodie's acting was pretty decent in reacting to that news. Otherwise this episode was really bad.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bleat at me no longer, we are done.
Black Thorn
Anyone catch today's episode? I think it was sadly really awful- such a let down because I found the first 2 episodes enjoyable but this one had so many issues.

No, I didn't catch it. I chose to rearrange my sock drawer and have dental work without anesthesia.

:p

thetopher
thetopher
Ooh, you are such a pooper. ;)
Bop
Bop
I'm jealous
  • Haha
Reactions: Bop

Cohen

Hellhound
I will watch it tomorrow. I work on Sunday nights, but I have it DVRd.
I did enjoy last weeks Sontaran War!!!

Bop
Bop
Yeah I thought the Sontaran episode was really good!

burrunjor

Scooby
Decided to watch this episode after having heard some of the wild rumours about the series.

Oh dear god was it awful. I understand I am coming in 2 episodes after the start, but it was just a convoluted mess and Jodie is absolutely atrocious. As I've said elsewhere the only time she looked at home was playing a thick, gormless police officer.

Also the Cybermen were lame, with 20 of them getting killed by one person, and the whole idea of the planet time is stupid too. Finally Jo Martin made a very unwelcome return. To be honest I think she is worse than Jodie if that were possible. What a trainwreck this show has become.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya

Decided to watch this episode after having heard some of the wild rumours about the series.

Oh dear god was it awful. I understand I am coming in 2 episodes after the start, but it was just a convoluted mess and Jodie is absolutely atrocious. As I've said elsewhere the only time she looked at home was playing a thick, gormless police officer.

Also the Cybermen were lame, with 20 of them getting killed by one person, and the whole idea of the planet time is stupid too. Finally Jo Martin made a very unwelcome return. To be honest I think she is worse than Jodie if that were possible. What a trainwreck this show has become.

The first 2 episodes were better but watching them won't make this episode more understandable sadly.
I think the style of missing threads, jumping between timelines and stories is something that a writer needs skill to make interesting and needless to say Chibnall doesn't have it. He should just cut the mystery out and write a straight episode about the gang fighting the flux somehow. And for the second episode in a row he had Yaz and Dan 'disappear' from The Doctor. It's so boring.
And I thought they got rid of Graham and Ryan to have a smaller Tardis team so we could maybe flesh Yaz and The Doctor out a bit. I was fine with Dan joining because I think he's enjoyable but I wouldn't be missing anything if they never put Vinder in. Because now if I'm counting correctly we have the same number of companions that we did last season. Yeah for only 2 episodes but this season is 6 episodes long so it's inexcusable to take up time on Vinder!

Last edited:

Cohen

Hellhound
We are definitely far from peak Who here. It's interesting that a story that meant to give us some backstory on a "lost" doctor adventure ended up bringing in more questions. First off... the time storm thing that the Doctor "pulled" the gang into.... what exactly was that? How was she able to do this? Were their physical bodies taken? Because at the end, they are back where they started. Second, are the Mouri connected to the Time Lords? Also, how is the Planet Time different than Gallifrey? I thought the Time Lords on Gallifrey kind of kept time in order? Also, why did we spend a good chunk of the episode with Vinder's girlfriend/baby mama? And... what are the passengers? How are they able to collect so many people in one space? Are they like TARDISes? Bigger on the inside? And why did Dan's friend look like a spirit?

And I'm still trying to figure out who Swarm and Azure are, and why they are bent on the destruction of the universe. Also, how do they have the power to "dust" people? Also, why does this seem SO SIMILAR to Avengers?

OH!!! And how are Angels able to jump out from video games? And cell phones? In the TARDIS?? This makes NO sense. And how was the Angel projected from the screen, in the living room as a hologram (without any source of light allowing the hologram to even exist) but unplugging the game console was enough to make the "hologram" disappear? Also, how was the angel ONLY a hologram in the game, but became a real Angel in the TARDIS? Also, how was the Angel able to get in the TARDIS. Also, WHAT IS THE ANGELS' ENDGAME IN THIS STORY?

I'm wondering if Chibnall's goal here is to completely dismantle the entire Whoverse before riding off into the sunset and leaving Davies to explain away things that Chibnall is disrupting.

Last edited:

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
We are definitely far from peak Who here. It's interesting that a story that meant to give us some backstory on a "lost" doctor adventure ended up bringing in more questions. First off... the time storm thing that the Doctor "pulled" the gang into.... what exactly was that? How was she able to do this? Were their physical bodies taken? Because at the end, they are back where they started. Second, are the Mouri connected to the Time Lords? Also, how is the Planet Time different than Gallifrey? I thought the Time Lords on Gallifrey kind of kept time in order? Also, why did we spend a good chunk of the episode with Vinder's girlfriend/baby mama? And... what are the passengers? How are they able to collect so many people in one space? Are they like TARDISes? Bigger on the inside? And why did Dan's friend look like a spirit?

And I'm still trying to figure out who Swarm and Azure are, and why they are bent on the destruction of the universe. Also, how do they have the power to "dust" people? Also, why does this seem SO SIMILAR to Avengers?

OH!!! And how are Angels able to jump out from video games? And cell phones? In the TARDIS?? This makes NO sense. And how was the Angel projected from the screen, in the living room as a hologram (without any source of light allowing the hologram to even exist) but unplugging the game console was enough to make the "hologram" disappear? Also, how was the angel ONLY a hologram in the game, but became a real Angel in the TARDIS? Also, how was the Angel able to get in the TARDIS. Also, WHAT IS THE ANGELS' ENDGAME IN THIS STORY?

I'm wondering if Chibnall's goal here is to completely dismantle the entire Whoverse before riding off into the sunset and leaving Davies to explain away things that Chibnall is disrupting.

I've heard this notion being thrown around that maybe Bel and Vinder's baby is going to turn out to be The Doctor/ the timeless child and I can't say I'd put it past Chibnall. I feel like the child will have to be significant somewhere.

Cohen

Hellhound
I've heard this notion being thrown around that maybe Bel and Vinder's baby is going to turn out to be The Doctor/ the timeless child and I can't say I'd put it past Chibnall. I feel like the child will have to be significant somewhere.
I hate the Timeless Child nonsense. What kind of narcissist retcons (nearly) 60 years of storyline? Chibnall is a lunatic. The Angels were acting way out of character this past episode.

burrunjor
burrunjor
Moffat also did it with Pissy Missy and the Hybrid.

TheMaster666

Townie
Don’t really care. Just waiting for RTD to return to the helm. Hopefully he’s still got it after about a decade off the job. If it gets solid reviews (and hopefully we go back to a male Doctor only) I’ll give it a chance. (Sorry if another flame war on this old topic re-ignites below me. But just my honest thoughts, I don’t want to see a bastardized version of my favorite tv, and even a great female Doctor just wouldn’t be right for the show imo. You’re perfectly free to disagree of course).

burrunjor

Scooby
Don’t really care. Just waiting for RTD to return to the helm. Hopefully he’s still got it after about a decade off the job. If it gets solid reviews (and hopefully we go back to a male Doctor only) I’ll give it a chance. (Sorry if another flame war on this old topic re-ignites below me. But just my honest thoughts, I don’t want to see a bastardized version of my favorite tv, and even a great female Doctor just wouldn’t be right for the show imo. You’re perfectly free to disagree of course).

I don't want Davies back because the man hasn't a clue on how to write DW.

To start with he hates stories about alien planets. Not such a good recipe for a show about a man who can travel to any planet. Second he in his own words thinks the Doctor should be a sex god. Not exactly what I think of when I think of Jon Pertwee. He also doesn't want a man over 50 in the role, and he prefers to write about soap opera drek than sci fi. He is in my opinion one of the last people who should have anything to do with the show.

He is comparable to a guy that wants to write for Batman, but hates crime stories, loves heroes who carry guns, can't write for a hero without powers and hates men in costumes.

IMO RTD was only popular because he tapped into a zeitgeist at the time. (The angsty brooding immortal being in love with a teenager) and there was a demand for DW.

In actual fact I think in the long run he was one of the worst things to happen to the show. He brought in the "DW is all about change" mantra that meant the show and character had no identity, he turned the Doctor into a conventional, romantic, boring hero with Tennant and he brought in hacks like Chibnall and Moffat. He laid the groundwork for the crap we are drowning in now.

His return is actually what has finally convinced me to give up on the show altogether. No hope of there being anything like true Who for me, IE the classic era. It's such a shame.

Cohen

Hellhound
I don't want Davies back because the man hasn't a clue on how to write DW.

To start with he hates stories about alien planets. Not such a good recipe for a show about a man who can travel to any planet. Second he in his own words thinks the Doctor should be a sex god. Not exactly what I think of when I think of Jon Pertwee. He also doesn't want a man over 50 in the role, and he prefers to write about soap opera drek than sci fi. He is in my opinion one of the last people who should have anything to do with the show.

He is comparable to a guy that wants to write for Batman, but hates crime stories, loves heroes who carry guns, can't write for a hero without powers and hates men in costumes.

IMO RTD was only popular because he tapped into a zeitgeist at the time. (The angsty brooding immortal being in love with a teenager) and there was a demand for DW.

In actual fact I think in the long run he was one of the worst things to happen to the show. He brought in the "DW is all about change" mantra that meant the show and character had no identity, he turned the Doctor into a conventional, romantic, boring hero with Tennant and he brought in hacks like Chibnall and Moffat. He laid the groundwork for the crap we are drowning in now.

His return is actually what has finally convinced me to give up on the show altogether. No hope of there being anything like true Who for me, IE the classic era. It's such a shame.
I’ve been going back and watching classic Who on iTunes and have been enjoying it. Definitely different than New Who

Mr Trick

Scooby
Well I don't think a man over 50 should be cast as Doctor Who unless that person is perfect for the role. Its important to keep moving forward. Just doing a retread of 60s Doctor Who is pointless.

Top Bottom