• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Doctor Who News

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I think there's going to be a lot of news in the next year so here we can discuss it all in one place :)

This is the latest news I've gathered:

- Doctor Who will be on Disney Plus in different countries including USA. In the UK it will stay on BBC iPlayer.

- The Budget for Doctor Who is being increased- to potentially 10 million an episode.

- It's not been completely confirmed but it's looking very likely that RTD is planning to create some new spin-offs and expand the universe.

Reactions: Nix

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
- It's not been completely confirmed but it's looking very likely that RTD is planning to create some new spin-offs and expand the universe.
Russell does like a spin-off that's for sure. I think there were five or six during his first run on the show.

Bop
Bop
Yeah I loved the Sarah Jane Adventures

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I think it's the streaming service the series will air on, not that Disney has the production rights.

I have to wonder how much cache adventures in space and time still has? But then again, I'm also not certain how modern Trek stays on the air, so, there

Spanky

Illeist
Black Thorn
not that Disney has the production rights.
Disney is "supporting" the production and is pouring a lot of their own money into production. They will have a big say in the show going forward.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I think it's the streaming service the series will air on, not that Disney has the production rights.

I have to wonder how much cache adventures in space and time still has? But then again, I'm also not certain how modern Trek stays on the air, so, there

Yeah Disney doesn't have production rights or a say on the writing or anything- they are contributing to the funds but I think that's part of the deal of getting Doctor Who on their platform which is kind of smart because it's a sci fi franchise so maybe some of its fans would be into Star Wars and therefore they'd be getting new viewers for Star Wars.

Plasma

The Second Sister
Staff member
Black Thorn
which is kind of smart because it's a sci fi franchise so maybe some of its fans would be into Star Wars and therefore they'd be getting new viewers for Star Wars.

Your average SW fan would watch an episode, get confused at what is even going on, and shut it off immediately. 😂

I imagine this is more a play to expand their international audience earnings more than anything. Disney has problems when it comes to anything outside of the US market and it feels like this is 100% a move to improve on that.

Reactions: Bop

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
Disney has problems when it comes to anything outside of the US market and it feels like this is 100% a move to improve on that.

It seems like a good match then because Doctor Who is also most popular in the UK it could do with getting more international fans. The only change in who's producing the show is that it's now Bad Wolf Studios and the BBC behind production/ownership but that's been known for a while.

Spanky

Illeist
Black Thorn
Yeah Disney doesn't have production rights or a say on the writing or anything
That's true, but Disney does have creative input. That's been formally mentioned I believe.

Reactions: Bop

Cohen

Hellhound
Sineya
Okay.. some interesting articles!!

How did Russell T Davies Return to Doctor Who?

Davies continued: "I just looked at my phone. It was 20.01 on 18 December 2020 — Catherine texted me to say how much she'd enjoyed it. I texted back: 'God, let's get David to do some more Doctor and Donna, I loved it so much!'"

Davies went on to note, "until I looked those texts up, I thought Catherine said it first. But it was me! I don't think I really meant it, though. Honestly: no secret plan at work. But then Catherine replied, 'Let's do it! The Doctor and Donna — The Lost Adventures.'"
I love that their love for each other and their love for the show brought them all back together for these specials. And instead of inserting some 'never-before-seen' adventures, Davies is weaving it into the new story! I'm so excited!

60th Anniversary Specials Runtime
https://www.digitalspy.com/doctor-who/
Doctor Who’s 60th anniversary specials are rapidly approaching, and now we finally know the runtime of the episodes.

It has been revealed in the latest Doctor Who Magazine that each of the three special episodes will be “hour-long spectaculars”.
So, it looks like it will be 3 hour-long episodes. I hope that maybe we get a few minutes longer than an hour. But I'm so excited to see the Doctor and Donna together, so I'll take anything I can get!

Davies Didn't Want Doctor's Clothes Weaponized

“I was very certain that I didn’t want David to appear in Jodie’s costume,” he said. “I think the notion of men dressing in ‘women’s clothes,’ the notion of drag, is very delicate. I’m a huge fan of that culture and the dignity of that, it’s truly a valuable thing. But it has to be done with immense thought and respect. With respect to Jodie and her Doctor, I think it can look like mockery when a straight man wears her clothes. To put a great big six-foot Scotsman into them looks like we’re taking the mickey."

Davies, it seems, didn’t want anything from Doctor Who taken out of context and used by those who want to “weaponize” the moment to mock queer culture. “If they can play with gender in a sarcastic or critical way, they will," he said. "We could have the Doctor dressed as a knight, or dressed as God, or dressed as William Hartnell, and the only photo they’d print would be of David in what they considered to be women’s clothes."
You know, I never really thought about this. It's interesting because I thought the clothes thing was story-centered. But it makes sense that Davies would be sensitive to potential gay- or trans-bashing, and trying to be proactive on that front. I just hope that he also includes an in-universe explanation--though I trust Davies, so I'm sure he will.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
You know, I never really thought about this. It's interesting because I thought the clothes thing was story-centered. But it makes sense that Davies would be sensitive to potential gay- or trans-bashing, and trying to be proactive on that front. I just hope that he also includes an in-universe explanation--though I trust Davies, so I'm sure he will.

I hope there's a story explanation for it too otherwise it's not a good sign for the show, especially because I don't really see where Davies is coming from with it, Jodie's costume is not even distinctly female in my opinion, apart from the rainbow on the shirt, I guess. I have a feeling the real reason is because he knew David would look ridiculous in Jodie's clothes, not because he's a man in woman's clothes but because Jodie's outfit looks stupid- on Jodie or David 😂

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I do not believe it, that the clothes thing is such an issue. Men dressing like Jodie? What about what Jodie wore being almost the same as several of the early doctors, not exactly the same but almost.

Here's a thought, what if a Dalek was to be silver, would some stupid people begin to refer to Dalek / Cybermen?

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I sort of like this. I didn't watch the Jodie Whitaker era because I don't have cable and didn't know where I could watch it in the US. With it being on Disney Plus, I'll have no excuse not to watch it. I just hope they don't "Disneyfy" it. I hope RTD can restore the show and the fandom to where it was prior to Capaldi's run. And I like Capaldi's doctor, I just think his stories sucked.

TheMaster666

Potential
I think there's going to be a lot of news in the next year so here we can discuss it all in one place :)

This is the latest news I've gathered:

- Doctor Who will be on Disney Plus in different countries including USA. In the UK it will stay on BBC iPlayer.

- The Budget for Doctor Who is being increased- to potentially 10 million an episode.

Aww crap. I currently have HBO, where it's been at the past couple years. That means it's leaving for the evil Mickey Mouse now...

Unless this is the old Dr. Who. Seriously, does anybody use Britbox?

Cohen

Hellhound
Sineya
And I like Capaldi's doctor, I just think his stories sucked.
I loved series 8. I hated series 9. Series 10 was... meh. I wish they did more with Bill Potts.

I just started rewatching series 4 with Hubs and he was confused when Capaldi showed up in Pompeii. He said "Wait, there are two doctors?" And I had to explain to him that Capaldi became the Doctor YEARS later, but he was a guest star in this episode. Interestingly, Karen Gillan was also a guest star in this episode!

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I loved series 8. I hated series 9. Series 10 was... meh. I wish they did more with Bill Potts.
I really like series 8, I agree I did not like 9 (I hate the sonic sunglasses), and I really liked the first half of 10, I loved Bill as a companion.
Aww crap. I currently have HBO, where it's been at the past couple years. That means it's leaving for the evil Mickey Mouse now...

Unless this is the old Dr. Who. Seriously, does anybody use Britbox?
I think they got the rights to just "air"/stream the NEW episodes of Doctor Who that will start in 2023. So, I'm not sure if they will have the rights to the old episodes.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya

I just started rewatching series 4 with Hubs and he was confused when Capaldi showed up in Pompeii. He said "Wait, there are two doctors?" And I had to explain to him that Capaldi became the Doctor YEARS later, but he was a guest star in this episode. Interestingly, Karen Gillan was also a guest star in this episode!

I love how they explain that The Doctor chose that face to remind him to help people- because The Doctor was going to leave Capaldi's character and his family to die until Donna convinced him he could at least save that family even though he's letting the rest of Pompeii die so it fit so well that he would remember that face.

But I wonder if that means some of the other faces of The Doctor could be dead people too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom