• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Does anybody hate Cordelia?

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Oh yeah she was definitely always fairly self absorbed like you say, but in S1 & 2 she had a lot more charisma to go with it. Excuse the pun :p

Carrie Hopewell
Carrie Hopewell
That's exactly what I meant :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
No I think she's one of the best characters. The casting is great and she gets some of the best lines. Her arc from Buffy S1-Angel S2 is one of the best of any character. After that they messed the character up big time. Shame.

alanasilverstar

Witch of Sunnydale
No. She is annoying sometimes in Buffy series but she has great lines and is funny. :D
In Angel I think that the character is more interesting. I have pity for her when she has these visions. And I like her conversations with Angel. :)

Hey guys! I have a pressing issue on my mind about Cordy, so much so that I created an account on this forum just to get your opinions.

I'm introducing Buffy and Angel to my friends now, and one thing I noticed consistently is that every one of them hates Cordelia in Angel. Granted, they haven't finish watching the series yet, but they are up to the beginning of Season 3 and they still find her annoying and stupid with a massive ego. I shudder to think what they would say once we get to the controversial Cordelia/Connor relationship in Season 4. XD

This is interesting to me because from what I can tell Cordelia is a beloved character in the fandom. So is there anyone around here who hates/does not care for Cordelia and can enlighten me why? Or have you met anyone who does not like her?
I strongly dislike Cordelia and I am one of the biggest buffy/angel fans out there. My main reason has to do with her relationships within the show. I think that Buffy and Angel have and will always belong together--they have passion but unconditional love for each other and would die for each other. Now i dont hate Riley and Spike even though they have things with Buffy. I think this is because, and this is hypocritical, there is a huge part of me that wants Angel to go on loving Buffy his whole life and Buffy with Angle despite the multiple problems they have. I think they do it all in the name of love. None of the love interests of Buffy or Angel replicate what they had and quite frankly the whole Angel storyline with Cordelia and Connor makes me so upset and I almost hate Angel for it if i weren't for my intense love for all things Buffy. Moral of the story, my biggest problem with Cordelia is that her and Angel are together and ultimately she was a spoiled brat and Buffy never was and I only want Angel and Buffy together sorry and its very clear that Angel doesn't love Cordelia nearly as much as he loves (present tense because they will go on loving each other for eternity) Buffy.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
She was annoying to start with, but her razor tongue served a purpose, one that was filled by Anya once she had left to join Angel.

I think Cordy should have ended up with Oz. He was so laid back he was almost horizontal, & she always said exactly what was on her mind, no matter what.
They complemented each other perfectly, & their few interactions on the show were always fun to watch.

Cordelia: Okay, well I personally don't think it's possible to come up with a crazier plan.
Oz: We attack the Mayor with hummus.
Cordelia: I stand corrected.
Oz: Just keeping things in perspective.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
The difference between Anya and Cordy is this...when Anya said things, it wasn't usually intended to be mean or insulting. On the other hand, Cordy often meant to be hurtful. It was somewhat amusing the first two or three times...after that, it was extraordinarily tiresome. I HATE bullies.

cryptwarmer
cryptwarmer
The other difference is that Emma is a much better actor than Charisma

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I actually am someone who loved Cordelia. I loved her progression on Btvs. Her relationship with Xander and the scoobies seemed to genuinely bring out her better qualities. I thought she was brave, and having no powers or greater calling stepped up and helped when she was needed. When Xander broke her heart, I sincerely mourned with her, and even her return to her bitchy self I understood. Even then, I thought it was a great show of character that she continued to fight the good fight with the scoobies. You could always count on Cordelia.

When she moved to Ats, she was such a breath of fresh air. I loved her lightness and sparkle, and she brought so much to the little family dynamic that was forming. I loved the slow, sweet burgeoning of romance with Doyle, and I loved her genuine mourning of him. When she got the visions, I thought it was a master stroke! Her growth that came from feeling the pain of others to me felt very organic, and I loved her unflinching strength and fortitude. I loved her righteous anger at Angel in season 2 and her bravery in standing up to him. When she , alone and basically powerless risked her life to help Gunn I loved her even more.

I was actually hurt and grieved to see what happened to her in season 3 and 4. IMO, Cordelia was a strong, female character in her own right, and the Saint Cordy, Angels cheerleader and mom of the year persona they gave her pissed me off. She didn't need it!! They threw away all her other friendships , like Wesleys, for Angel. She didn't even visit him in the hospital or confront him on his motives. Wesley at this point was nothing to her. She became what feminists and women abhor, a female who is only there to prop up the male hero. The rape and violation of her character in season 4 was the end for me. It was disgusting...she was violated in every sense of the word and didn't even have the dignity of facing her attacker. Instead she was murdered and basically forgotten. Your welcome in season 5, while nice to see, still gave her no justice. Instead, she is there as plot device, to once again make Angel feel better and set him on his path.

No I don't hate her. She is just a major disappointment.

Cordeliagirl

Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.
Sineya
I dont hate Cordelia, but love her. and i love her on Buffy and like her on Angel. But sad that she possessed by Jasmine and die from coma.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I don't hate Cordy, I think that she was having a lovely character arc up until season 4, but there was a huge change, and a positive change that happened in terms of Cordy's behaviour and attitude over the years so she was a good character :)

Cordeliagirl
Cordeliagirl
We all love Cordy

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Cordelia is one of my two favorite characters on Angel (the other being Wesley) so, no, I don't hate her. I loved her on Buffy, but prefer her on Angel, she was just a better character there, imo, and used more organically then simply to forward a certain plot.

Also, about those talking about her maturing too early and it not being believable, this is what I feel. Cordelia wasn't the Scoobies, she moved to new city where she didn't know anyone, she wasn't in college, she wasn't still hanging out with her high school friends, she was living in poverty and trying to cling to her old, bitchy self, hence the occasional fancy celeb parties and such. Then she almost dies, again, Angel comes back into her life and she, like with Buffy, hitches her wagon to him so she won't die. This, coupled with the onslaught of visions in the S1 finale, is why I find it wholly believable that she matured much more quickly than the Scoobies.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Cordelia is one of my two favorite characters on Angel (the other being Wesley) so, no, I don't hate her. I loved her on Buffy, but prefer her on Angel, she was just a better character there, imo, and used more organically then simply to forward a certain plot.

Also, about those talking about her maturing too early and it not being believable, this is what I feel. Cordelia wasn't the Scoobies, she moved to new city where she didn't know anyone, she wasn't in college, she wasn't still hanging out with her high school friends, she was living in poverty and trying to cling to her old, bitchy self, hence the occasional fancy celeb parties and such. Then she almost dies, again, Angel comes back into her life and she, like with Buffy, hitches her wagon to him so she won't die. This, coupled with the onslaught of visions in the S1 finale, is why I find it wholly believable that she matured much more quickly than the Scoobies.
Does she though? They just took different paths. I don't find anything immature about the Scoobies. Well of course at times there are, but then there is with every character worth their salt. Giving Cordy the visions was a mistake IMO. Felt too much like a gimmick, and was the writers trying too hard to make her dark.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Oh Cordy, Cordy, Cordy.

I think we are all supposed to dislike Cordelia's character in Buffy right? She is the quintessential "mean girl." It would be like saying we liked Regina George. I mean she WAS the original Regina George right? (Fan Fic idea Regina George v. Cordelia Chase someone go do this lol). She was a bully and she treated Buffy like shit and initially she treated Willow like crap too and honestly anyone who is mean to Willow is on my "I hate you" list. Plus she kept trying to creep on Angel in BtVS. So yeah I wasn't a big fan BUT she was a vital part of the show. She provided the cut throat comic relief and I enjoyed watching her because she was who she was. She made me laugh. I wasn't supposed to like her.

But then she makes the transition to Angel and it's tough because I still look at her and think of all the mean things she said about Willow, the way she treated Buffy, but I'm supposed to start liking her because she is the female lead of this show. And I actually really do start to like her, because she continues to have her personality but she has a purpose and a mission and I buy it and then there is a sharp turn in her character right around Season 3. And then I don't recognize her anymore. I don't feel that they gradually grew her character I feel the change was rather abrupt and I think the characters were rather inconsistent. One is Queen C the other one is some sort of Mother Theresa character. And I don't buy it. The character we ended up with at the end of Season 3 is not the Cordelia Chase I knew from BtVS.

It is hard to shape a character to be so crass and mean to the people you root for without any consequences and then ask me to root for her later on down the line. I know its possible and obviously alot of people went along for the ride because she is a fan favorite but I personally found it hard to do.

On a personal level, as a kid, I related with Buffy's character alot some of the alienation, some of the feeling left out. Joss himself said that Buffy was about kids that felt like they didn't belong and Cordelia was the anti-thesis of that. The popular kid. I kinda don't want the popular kid /mean girl to win at the end. And I especially don't want her to get the boy. I know this last part is a bit selfish and colored by my own experiences as a kid and in life while I watched Buffy but there they are never the less.

Cheyanne Suttle

Potential
I didn't like her at all in Buffy, she got on my nerves. I was super upset when I saw they put her on Angel the more I watched, the more I liked her. I even kinda maybe secretly hoped she would get with Angel *shudders* buuut once she hooked up with Connor, I was done. Even when finding out it wasn't really her I was still just over her at that point.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Shudders, indeed.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
I watched Angel while it was on-air, but didn't see Buffy until 2015. (So, I knew VERY little about the history of the characters prior to Angel) Therefore, my first proper introduction to Cordy was on Angel...I didn't hate her, just thought she was somewhat entertaining and an airhead.

However, when I was given the Buffy box set for Christmas 2015, I had the chance to dive right in to the series. And you know what? I despised Cordelia. What a bitch. She was a snide, mean, and hateful little cow. The way she continually insulted Xander, Willow and anyone else she felt better than made me sick! So whenever something bad happened to her, I was cool with it.

Cheyanne Suttle
Cheyanne Suttle
[No message]

DayDreamer27

Potential
I watched Angel while it was on-air, but didn't see Buffy until 2015. (So, I knew VERY little about the history of the characters prior to Angel) Therefore, my first proper introduction to Cordy was on Angel...I didn't hate her, just thought she was somewhat entertaining and an airhead.

However, when I was given the Buffy box set for Christmas 2015, I had the chance to dive right in to the series. And you know what? I despised Cordelia. What a bitch. She was a snide, mean, and hateful little cow. The way she continually insulted Xander, Willow and anyone else she felt better than made me sick! So whenever something bad happened to her, I was cool with it.
This for me. I haven't watched all of Angel, because of Cordelia. lol I couldn't stand her on BTVS. She had some amusing or sympathetic moments, but that's the thing. They were moments, while she was still an overall hateful character. So knowing she stars on Angel, and eventually gets turned into his one true love and some kind of Goddess, just eh on that.

And the scene I watched here. Cordelia comes in at the 4:10 min mark.
Idk if it's intentional or not, but C.C.'s acting is so forced, I wanna strangle her here. lol
Bliss? AS IN BLISS?!

Good Lord. lol I CC is a beautiful woman, but I think she would work better on a light-hearted comedy show. She had that comedic acting that sometimes is out of place in non-comedy shows, especially when there's constant threats and dark elements. Maybe she got better. I'm not sure. Again, I watched very little of Angel due to not caring for Cordelia.

Cordelia did have funny moments on Buffy, but I wasn't a fan. One funny moment I liked is when Buffy tries to get the aggressive guy off her, and he knocks her to the ground. Cordelia then starts to girly hit him while squealing. lol. Then Buffy he horrified that she was pummeled by a non neck & rescued by Cordelia. lol

Last edited:

Mr Trick

Scooby
This for me. I haven't watched all of Angel, because of Cordelia. lol I couldn't stand her on BTVS. She had some amusing or sympathetic moments, but that's the thing. They were moments, while she was still an overall hateful character. So knowing she stars on Angel, and eventually gets turned into his one true love and some kind of Goddess, just eh on that.

And the scene I watched here. Cordelia comes in at the 4:10 min mark.
Idk if it's intentional or not, but C.C.'s acting is so forced, I wanna strangle her here. lol
Bliss? AS IN BLISS?!

Good Lord. lol I CC is a beautiful woman, but I think she would work better on a light-hearted comedy show. She had that comedic acting that sometimes is out of place in non-comedy shows, especially when there's constant threats and dark elements. Maybe she got better. I'm not sure. Again, I watched very little of Angel due to not caring for Cordelia.
Not sure if the forced acting was because this is around the time that her and Joss had their falling out, and it might have been that CC's heart wasn't in it so was her way of acting out. Or might just be that sort of scene isn't her strong suit.

Each to their own I guess. I'm big Cordy fan. Thought she was a great character on Buffy and she grew a lot her first two seasons on Angel. It was mid-season 3 onwards that she hit the buffers IMO.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
eventually gets turned into his one true love and some kind of Goddess, just eh on that.
Noooo no no no. No. There is an argument to be made (not by me - I provide the counter-argument and I believe I have a valid position) that Angel loved Cordelia but certainly, she was never referred to as his "one true love." No. The Goddess thing was ret-conned as well.

This for me. I haven't watched all of Angel, because of Cordelia.
I am not a huge Cordelia fan either. She doesn't bug me so much in s1/2 of AtS but before and after I'm pretty meh about her. And I still love AtS. AtS is still worth watching despite the Cordy stuff. Season 1 is really mostly about Angel (and has B/A all over it), Season 2 is really mostly about Angel and Darla which is interesting stuff. S3 is tough - mind you but s4 retcons it for you. Season 5 is funny and has a great season finale.

Dora

Scooby
Never watched Angel....maybe one day, but Cordy in Buffy loved her ....to the detriment of the Show when she left a hole neither Anya or Spike could fill

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Fair point at least on Anya.
Top Bottom