• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Does anyone else admire Xander's journey in Season 4-7?

Joshua

Huge Spuffy Fan!
Even though I dislike Xander as a person and a character, I admire one thing that even though Xander didn't go to college which is considered respectable like Buffy and Willow did he still remained more financially stable than Buffy and Willow in S6.

He went from living in his parents basement in S4 and early S5 to becoming a construction worker and getting his own apartment which was gorgeous.

He was proof that you don't need college to get the things you want in life you just need the right motivation.

I don't believe for a second that any long term plans existed for Xander after high school, aside from events in Buffy's life that he was involved in. But I do agree, Teen shows have a dialectic component, and should show positive examples of what an teenager of average intelligence can do after high school, if College is not in the cards.

Joshua

Huge Spuffy Fan!
I don't believe for a second that any long term plans existed for Xander after high school, aside from events in Buffy's life that he was involved in. But I do agree, Teen shows have a dialectic component, and should show positive examples of what an teenager of average intelligence can do after high school, if College is not in the cards.
Well wasn't he one of the choices to turn a character into a LGBTQ character if Willow didn't become a lesbian?

In real life, Xander would be incredible to have his life so together as he does at his age. And...no college student loan for him to pay off for the rest of his life. Go Xander!

(Sure he makes mistakes, like everyone on this Earth does, including the actor that played Xander, and the man who came up with the concept of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. All in all, he does very well for himself.)

Sineya
The watershed episode for Xander was "The Replacement 5x03" where he was split into competent Xander and loser Xander. By good fortune, when he was recombined, competent Xander won out. Before that, there were only a few occasions like resuscitating Buffy in "Prophecy", "The Zeppo", "Earshot" or "The Freshman" where he was shown to be a hero or at least a valuable asset. In "The Replacement", he deliberately takes a magic hit intended for Buffy:

Toth has Buffy in his sights. Xander knocks Buffy aside just as a blast of magical force erupts from the rod. THE FORCE HITS XANDER. HE IS FLUNG TO THE GROUNG IN THE SHADOWS.

BUFFY
Xander!

The gang run to Xander.

RILEY
Man, you okay?

Xander struggles to his feet. Buffy looks around for Toth, but he's gong. Xander allows himself to be supported between Buffy and Riley. The group moves away slowly. As they go, and the others ad lib concern…

XANDER
I'm okay…I'm fine…

The dump is empty now. Except that something lies half-buried in garbage, unnoticed. We push in.

It's Xander, still lying unconscious where he fell. So who just went off with Buffy? Stay tuned.

From this point on, there is loser Xander and competent Xander and when they are reconstituted, the resulting Xander is competent and successful. It doesn't appear to be because of anything Xander has done, so he is not responsible for it except for the fact that he pushed Buffy out of the way with every expectation of sacrificing himself, so in that sense, he deserves the better life ahead.

Well wasn't he one of the choices to turn a character into a LGBTQ character if Willow didn't become a lesbian?
I'm aware they talked about it in season 1, as a possibility for the character, I'm unaware of any scenario that was set up for season four to that end. Granted, Season four was pretty chaotic, so they may have had something planned, and when Oz left and Anya turned out to be the greatest thing since sliced brioche, they hit the button on Willow, but who knows?

Top Bottom