• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Does anyone think it be better if Buffy stayed away longer?.

Benz

Potential
I think it be better if Buffy stayed LA for other episode or two as think her returning would have more impact.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Interesting idea, a longer transition period. I'm of the opinion that Dead Man's Party- or the things brought up in that episode- should've been split into two parts and dealt with more extensively. The problem is that the season is already packed full of great episodes so there isn't a lot of wiggle room in terms of pacing.

Slightly OT but a while ago I've read in intriguing fic where Buffy returns to Sunnydale to find that Faith has taken over duties there, having arrived a bit earlier and bonded with her friends. S3 probably would've gone a lot differently.

I think they could have done it for another episode or two, but ultimately it didn't effect the content. Think the writers made it clear that Buffy had been away all summer and they effectively sold the divide between her and her friends and Joyce upon the return. I don't think more time away on-screen was needed. Also Anne pretty much told a good enough story.

Slightly OT but a while ago I've read in intriguing fic where Buffy returns to Sunnydale to find that Faith has taken over duties there, having arrived a bit earlier and bonded with her friends. S3 probably would've gone a lot differently.
That would've been very interesting, especially if Buffy felt like she'd been replaced and would add to her resentment of Faith.

No. Don't get me wrong, Buffy in an urban environment trying to hide from her calling is a great story, I hope it gets explored in Buffy of Color, but Season 3 had a limited number of episodes, and a lot of material to get through. Two extra episodes on LA are two less episodes spent on Senior year milestones, or the Mayor's plan, or to the new characters. Season 3 was already packed to the brim with good ideas, I feel once economy of storytelling is taken into place, the appropiate amount of time was spent in LA.

I would've liked another episode or two with Buffy & Anne in LA. Maybe a s3 that was 23 or 24 episodes.

Once AtS started most fans (and Angel in Sanctuary) seemed to forget Buffy lived in Los Angeles for 16 1/2 years (17 years if counting her time as a fetus). The entirety of AtS from City Of to Not Fade Away took place within less than 5 years.

A lot of people have this image of Buffy as a middle class girl who couldn't fathom having nothing but when she left in Becoming #2 she was a homeless underage teenager on the run from the law. She was a depressed PTSD inflicted waitress (usually paid less than minimum wage) living alone in a tiny studio in a bad neighborhood.

I'm still bitter Sister Sunshine Chanterelle Lily Anne's time on BtVS wasn't even reference on AtS. It was how she got her name, found out about the paranormal, learned how to take care of herself.

Top Bottom