• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Does Buffy feel resentment towards her friends in S6?

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Does Buffy feel resentment towards her friends in S6? I mean, does she blame them for her depression?

I know that she expresses feeling emotional pain in “After life,” but doesn’t want them to know the truth. And there’s a lot of pain and guilt when they learnt the truth in OMWF. And later on, she’s angry at Giles for leaving and at Willow for the addiction and putting Dawn in danger, and at Dawn for being a klepto… but I don’t think she ever directly blames them for resurrecting her, or does she? Should have she been angry at them?

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I think there's no way Buffy couldn't resent them for bringing her back. Buffy isn't the sort to tell them that she resents them but I get that feeling from her behaviour.
I think Buffy resents them for needing her so much that they brought her back and I think she has the right to.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think Buffy knows what her friends did (resurrecting her) was done with good intentions which is why she doesn't blame them, however I also think she does resent them and then she feels guilty about resenting them because she knows they did it with good intentions and she's kind of trapped in this emotional turmoil where she feels guilty about how she feels.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I think Buffy knows what her friends did (resurrecting her) was done with good intentions which is why she doesn't blame them, however I also think she does resent them and then she feels guilty about resenting them because she knows they did it with good intentions and she's kind of trapped in this emotional turmoil where she feels guilty about how she feels.
This is precisely my question, which parts/comments make you think that she resents them and feels guilty about it? I'm just blanking out when thinking of examples.

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
I think the desperation and anger in her voice when she sings 'so give me something to sing about - please' after she has revealed she was in heaven shows a fair amount of resentment. Plus her expression as she reveals it, both resentment and fear of what she is revealing because she knows it will upset them. I get a resentment vibe off her in Afterlife as well, where she is standoffish. At the end she tells them what they want to hear - and then heads straight outside to be alone. She'll give them what they need but she can't cope with being around them too long. The same on the porch during the Willow/ Giles fight in flooded. The way she opens up to Spike in life serial as they get drunk together suggests resentment for her friends, she is leaning on him because he isn't to blame for her being back and, unlike Dawn, he can cope with the darkness of her emotions.
I think a lot of her detachment from her friends during the first half comes from this resentment. She starts to hang out with them more and retake her place in the friendship group after the half way mark. 'Gone' is where she realises she doesn't want to die anymore - so as she gets used to being alive again it makes sense that her resentment would fade, and maybe she would even begin to feel a little bit grateful that they gave her this second chance. After all - pre The Gift Buffy did not want to be dead forever at aged 20, heaven will always be there waiting for her - but in being alive again she is seeing and experiencing things she would have otherwise missed, like Dawn growing up or a chance to live in Rome.

Faded90

Potential
I think she definitely does - and understandably so but she still cares about them more hence why she lets them believe they did this wonderful thing for her

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
This is precisely my question, which parts/comments make you think that she resents them and feels guilty about it? I'm just blanking out when thinking of examples.
Pretty much what @Myheadsgonenumb has said. Also her tendency to withdraw and be alone or with Spike. Arguably her trysts with Spike are an attempt to distract herself and feel better before feeling worse once she returns to the scoobies. Spike's "tell me you don't love getting away with this right under their noses" could suggest that Buffy is also using having sex with Spike as some sort of revenge on the scoobies.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I think Buffy could have refused to leave, but agreed to return out of her selfless love for her fellow man. So, no. She may not remember everything, but I don't think she was truly forced.

Priceless

Scooby
We see Buffy's mixed feelings in this scene. She says 'the world abandoned me', giving the gang what they want to hear. But the 'so you did that' to Willow sounds as though Buffy has now focused the blame on Willow, and then shows her disappointment with 'and the world came rushing back', which her friends think is a good thing. How ironic, because this year they're all going to find out how bad the world can be.

BUFFY: You brought me back. I was in a ... I was in hell. I, um ... I can't think too much about what it was like. But it felt like the world abandoned me there. And then suddenly ... you guys did what you did.

TARA: It was Willow. She knew what to do. (Willow looks embarrassed)

BUFFY: Okay. So you did that. And the world came rushing back. Thank you. You guys gave me the world. I can't tell you what it means to me.

Myheadsgonenumb
Myheadsgonenumb
Yes - that's a very double edged piece of dialogue
Top Bottom