• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Does Harmony deserve a place alongside Angel, Spike and Darla?

• Thread starter WillowFromBuffy
  • Start date
W

WillowFromBuffy

I guess my love for Harmony is well documented on these boards. To me, she is just as interesting as any of the other vampires.

If Harmony's story offers any insight into the nature of good and evil, it is how little these lofty concepts actually matter to the average person. We see Harmony escape her abusive boyfriend, search for friendship, search for love, and strive for recognition in her job. The fact that she is evil seems irrelevant most of the time and her evilness is mostly an excuse for other characters to treat her badly. Her betrayal of Cordelia's trust in Disharmony is of course an example of how her evil nature does matter, but even in this episode, Harmony does much to give even soulless vampires a human face.
[automerge]1525290038[/automerge]
@TriBel You have official turned completely bonkers :p

Last edited by a moderator:
TriBel
TriBel
I agree but, at the moment, I think Roux's better!

famicommander

Potential
I really like Harmony and I'm glad she makes it out of Buffy/Angel alive (or undead). Aside from chipped Spike she's probably the closest thing to "good" that a soulless vampire can be in the Buffyverse. I like what they did with her in the post-series canon comics as well.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think Harmony's character was played more as a joke, eg she's so clueless that she even fails at being evil, rather than her being used to show that vampires can be "good".

However, what she does show is that not all vampires are just mindless monsters that Buffy needs to stake. I think the show should've pursued that angle more (at the very least on Angel). We have several vampire characters that have been fleshed out and show that they are individuals with thoughts and feelings rather than just numbers on Buffy's hit list.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Harmony is the only truly unique vampire on either. She shows true empathy for a relative human stranger in emotional pain (Gunn in Ats S5); this is unheard of.

But this is only really because she's almost purely a comic foil and not in any way a fleshed out character. I struggle to have any real emotional investment in her character, one way or the other.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think Harmony's character was played more as a joke, eg she's so clueless that she even fails at being evil, rather than her being used to show that vampires can be "good".
I think it was more than that: she's so shallow as a human that she doesn't even have enough pain or resentment to form a vampire that's evil to any degree. The demon there has hardly anything to work off.

Antho

Scooby
In the beginning of season 5 Angel I was very in empathy with Harmony because of the way the others treated her (Spike used her just for sex, Angel is mean, there is just Fred who was nice with her) but in the end of the same season, she betrayed everyone so I lost my sympathy for her

W

WillowFromBuffy

In the beginning of season 5 Angel I was very in empathy with Harmony because of the way the others treated her (Spike used her just for sex, Angel is mean, there is just Fred who was nice with her) but in the end of the same season, she betrayed everyone so I lost my sympathy for her
What reason did she have to remain loyal to them, though?

Antho

Scooby
What reason did she have to remain loyal to them, though?
I guess I don't see what Harmony did like a revenge. For me she made a choice who defined who she was. I mean being in the team of good or evil people is not something you do according to the people you have around you, that's something you do because you truly believe that's what you are. So when she betrayed Angel, IMO she just proved to Angel that he had right to have no confidence in her.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
No, Harmony was just impotent. She was a newly risen vampire, she wasn't from a powerful line, who probably didn't have a sire or a coven to look after her, she probably wasn't feeding very well, if her struggle with Xander and Riley are any indication. I mean, I could see her trying to seduce a guy, getting drunk while doing so, and waking up alone in bed the next morning, running to the closet to hide from the morning sun. I mean, give her five, ten years, she'll be as vicious as the rest of them, but she wasn't good at her job at the time.

Altoz

Potential
I hate to say this, but the character was there for comic relief. She wore on me rather quickly and I groaned when I saw her show up on Angel Season 5. As both a human and a vampire, she's a shallow character. I kept murmuring 'Please someone, stake her!" whenever she appeared on screen. Look, why didn't someone dust her anyway? That was a definite missed opportunity in Not Fade Away

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Spike did stake her, she was just wearing the Gem of Amara at the time.

Priceless

Scooby
Harmony is wonderful. She's another blonde, the sort who always gets murdered at the start of the horror film, but like Buffy she overcame her cliche. Yes she was murdered (and gets little sympathy for that) but she became the undead, the high school dumb blonde who will 'life' forever and I love that. The best thing about S12 is that it is Harmony who survives through the centuries, not any of the other vampires we come to know. Good for her I say.

vampmogs

Potential
I really like Harmony too. She's funny and charismatic and it's pretty cool that she lasted from Welcome to the Hellmouth to Not Fade Away.

She's also totally under-appreciated and slept on by fandom. Think about it, there's literally thousands of posts dissecting soulless Spike's actions in S5-S6, and yet Harmony achieves much of the same feats of "goodness" in S5 but it goes more or less completely ignored. There's comparisons aplenty;

Tough Love: Spike goes to comfort Dawn / Shells: Harmony comforts Gunn
Forever: Spike mourns Joyce / Shells: Harmony mourns Fred
Intervention: Spike bravely stands up to Glory / Underneath: Harmony bravely and selflessly fends off Hamilton so Lorne and Eve can escape

Much like Spike, Harmony tries to fight against her nature to seek the approval of those she cares about (Disharmony) and whilst ultimately she fails (in both AtS S2 and S5) she doesn't have a chip in her head. She's free-range Harmony when she refrains from biting Cordelia in her apartment and then appears genuinely remorseful when she almost bites her later that night. In S5, free-range Harmony lasts most of the year without killing anybody and places herself on a pig's blood diet entirely of her own accord. Sure, she has to get blood tested everyday under Angel's new regime, and that certainly acts as a compelling deterrent, but Harmony isn't forced to stay at W&H. And whilst she's there she genuinely tries to comfort both Wesley and Gunn over Fred's death.

In the end she's still absolutely evil. It's her soulless nature, after all. But considering what a big deal is made of Spike's actions whilst chipped, and even James and Elizabeth's love in Heartthrob, it's kind of a shame how Harmony's very similar behaviour is dismissed by the fanbase. I suspect this is predominantly due to the fact she's pigeonholed as a "comedic" character most of the time and thus not taken seriously as a character. But I also suspect there's some sexism at fault too.

Anyway, I love her. My favourite moments are her standing up to Spike in Pangs ("I'm young! I'm beautiful! And I don't need you to complete me. And you're mean!"), the moment she tries to stop Spike from attacking Buffy in Fool For Love (she looks so good in that scene), and her wonderfully whimsical delivery of "I do remember my heart..." during her conversation with Angel in Not Fade Away.

Honoria Dedlock

Potential
She was amazing on Angel...and for me she represents an important archetype: that of the blonde 'cool' kid who peaks in high school and spends the rest of their lives trying to relive their glory days. We had a little of that in Buffy too with 'Catherine The Great,' but Harmony is a nice example of a stunted person who's never quite able to make the final step into adulthood. I believe the writers wanted her on season 6 of Buffy and she would have fit right in.

TriBel

Scooby
I like Harmony (often for reasons quoted above) and, despite the criticisms aimed at her, I think it's quite telling (as @Priceless says) she's the one character (other than a mad Willow?) who still exists in the (possible) future...and that she's associated with the media.* Kinda feel Whedon et al. are making a point with this.

*I loath having to admit that S12 is quite clever - but I think it is (possibly too clever for its own good).

katmobile

Scooby
Harmony fails at being good and evil so....I think she's kind of pointless.
I disagree with the last part of the statement. I think she occupies an interesting space that's made more of in the comics - a sort of amoral, sentimental, siplolist who is harmless mostly because she learns to her charm and looks rather than being a big picture of evil, for the evils or motivated by consuming passion so ends up milking her ability to make people like her to get what she needs from them. I quite like vamp Paris Hilton or Miley Cyrus as a concept it's a fun and original concept.

Athene
Athene
Fair enough I haven't read the comics

TriBel

Scooby
Harmony fails at being good and evil so....I think she's kind of pointless.
I'd actually go along with this - with a twist. She is kinda pointless - just as most minor celebs etc are kinda pointless, just as much of the media is kinda pointless but because they're pointless (and seemingly harmless) they fly under the radar when it comes to interrogating what it is they're actually saying - what myths and ideologies they're perpetuating. Then, imagine a world where Trump and Johnson et al. are dead (personally I don't have a problem with this) but, all we know of the past is what's re-presented to us by The Daily Mail or Fox News (and/or their equivalents elsewhere). "Ideology and History are dead...long live consumerism" sorta thing.

Sigh...I'm glad I'm old. It's not surprising Willow went mad...*sad walk; sad face*.

Top Bottom