• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Does the personal life of an actor influence the way you see a character?

Stephan

It's a great show. But no need to get all riled up
Or they behind screen behavior influence the way you see a character?
Yes? No? Maybe? And Why?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
No, I'm fairly good at separating the actors from the characters. Unless the actor had done something really bad it doesn't influence the way I see a character.
I agree. It all depends on what the actor has done. That smallville actress has probably made things difficult for Smallville's fans whereas Buffy fans can weather the NB storm that is brewing.

BuffyBot22
BuffyBot22
good thing I never liked Xander anyways...

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Should the actor portray King Henry VIII it doesn't matter what the actor is like, if the character portrayed is a ratbag and the viewer can't see the difference, so be it.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Totally depends on the situation and actor. There are people I like who I can do all sorts of mental gymnastics for to excuse their actions, and there are others who I just don't have the ability to separate them from their work.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
It depends. Usually doesn’t matter, but if it's someone I like it's easier to ignore, unless they do something really bad. I get laughed at for still liking Tom Cruise and not jumping on the ooooh, he's a scientologist train.

thrasherpix

Scooby
No. And if the character they portray is very different from how they really are then I'm impressed, regardless of what I think of the actual actor.

And it confuses me when some actors complain about playing villains or bad mothers or unorthodox lovers and the like as if they themselves can't differentiate themselves from their character. (This is not to be confused with an actor having a different understanding of the character than say the director or even writers, as SMG sometimes did over the character of Buffy, but even when SMG had to play Buffy in a way she disagreed with she still did so like a pro, and didn't say "so this is what I'm like as a person, too.")

That aside, what WILL make me hesitant to see a movie where they're an important character is where they're so one note that I start confusing them with other characters. Perhaps the most extreme example is the actor who played Hector (IIRC) in Night of the Comet, an 80s film, and yet I kept expecting him to call Captain Janeway for assistance. :D That said, some can get away with this. For example, I can enjoy Will Smith, but I'm surprised--and impressed--when he doesn't come off as he usually does, and I automatically prepare myself not to take the story that seriously if he's in it, no matter how serious it tries to be (and I have to be in the mood).

And finally, it irritates me these last few years (when it has gotten especially bad, though it's not actually new) when people don't like the characters and try to destroy a show or movie because of political differences with an actor or writer. Conservatives can be as bad at this as liberals.

While I'd say it's their right to be as petty as they want to be, where they tick me off is where they post deceitful reviews taking lines out of context (be it character or actor) and otherwise trying to pass off their malicious bias as an unbiased review when they probably haven't even seen it (or they decided they hated it from the start and were just combing for reasons to justify that ideology-based hate) so that I'm not sure what is truth, and what is designed to trick me as part of an agenda, or making it impossible to talk about a said movie or show without the room (or social media since this is almost always online for me) suddenly going toxic.

It can also be the reverse where they heap undeserved praise onto something for the same reason and become toxic to those who don't sing along with the undeserved praise.

And those who know me well STILL forward vids of deceitful propaganda about an actor or movie, though it can be either liberal or conservative in tone, to me because it makes them angry and want me to be angry as well (often on YouTube which has ghost banned me since their algorithms can't figure me out which messes up their true purpose of marketing which promotes angry videos and comments). It gets awkward when I can pull up the full speech or whatever that's being taken out of context and send it back and ask them again to please don't forward that crap to me. I don't want to be part of that as I've got enough BS and stress in my life as it is without people helping Google/YouTube generate more ad revenue through clickbait vids and the like (and they know anger will be forwarded the most, which means more bank for them).

Leo

"Mist... cemetery... Halloween. Should end well."
At times, but not often.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I guess I'm in the minority but yes definitely. This is actually more the case when there's an actor who's view I really agree with because it means they are more likely to make movies that I like and therefore I am more likely to watch what they make and enjoy it.

There are a few actors I will avoid because of their real life actions or views, but overall I am more likely to seek actors that I like.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Depends on the actor and the circumstances. The most recent example that comes to mind is NF in Castle. After reading about his behavior and his issues with SK, which is a special case because the show actually decided to drop SK after S7 giving credibility to the gossip, I simply stopped watching the show. I love its earlier seasons, but I cannot bring myself to watch it after S6/early S7. I think that for me, it's more related to off-screen on-set behavior than personal life. There are other examples where I've stopped watching a show because of that. Not so much with movies, though.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I've never seen Bill Cosby. It occurs to me now that his current infamy would be distracting to say the least if I ever did come across something he played in. (I know many have similar infamy, but his has been headline material for so long that I feel as if my face has been rubbed in it so that I'll never forget. I normally don't look up info on celebrities.)

ETA: just to be clear, even if I overlook criminal behavior when enjoying a character, that doesn't mean I think the celebrity should be above the law. (That said, I tend to be wary of celebrity gossip. I'm not convinced Michael Jackson was the predator he's portrayed as, either, though I do believe Bill Cosby is.)

Last edited:

nightshade

Can I be a sloth?
Staff member
Black Thorn
If I'm already watching something they're in then I tend to keep watching. However I do get put off people and won't watch anything new with them because of something they've said or done.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I try to ignore any personal info I make come across about an actor (I rarely go searching, I can think of only a handful of actors I do that with) but sometimes its difficult. I'll never look at a Kevin Spacey movie the same way again, for example.

But I try and view film/tv like I view any art; Ideally it should be treated separately from its creator.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I disagree with most people's political and social views but it doesn't mean I can't be civil and friends with them. I can separate the character from the actor. I will seek out all works of an artist that I enjoy. But even if I like an actor I wont support them in projects like true crime where the goal is idolising mass murderers and serial killers.

When the Joss stuff came out, I was mad, but looking back I was more mad with the fans who had such limited understanding of the mental health aspect of that, and they were what spurred me into triggered territory. Now I still consider myself a big fan of Joss Whedon, even though he can be a dick - because truthfully there are few very successful people who have got there without being a dick in some form or another. Being a dick to his wife is actually pretty normal in the scheme of things.

Nick Brendon is another one that has me triggered by some fans. I feel real deep sympathy for him now - I never liked Xander to begin with but if he was to hold an event in the street here, I would support him. Purely because what some fans say about him and the situation is appalling. I really do feel for him. If work gives him meaning I will happily support that for giving me 7 years of character fun, even though I don't much like the character.

I'd still pay to see/meet Adam Baldwin despite his views - because I enjoy his portrayal of characters and that's what I will be supporting, not his personal opinions. They do the work, they deserve the reward.

I don't really do twitter or anything like that, any scandals I hear of, I hear here on BB. I find the reactions of fans shape my reaction to the actor more than anything else. I have always been prone to peer pressure, but lately I see the world a whole lot differently and have a deeper respect for actors and writers for doing a job I could not possibly do in a limelight I could never handle bringing entertainment to the largely ungrateful masses. They can be who they are outside of work, just as anyone is. Sickly sweet fakeness is worse to me than having an opposing well thought out personal opinion, religion or lifestyle.

Taake

Kissing Toast
Staff member
Black Thorn
I would say yes, but, if they're a really good actor/actress they can make me forget about that during certain movies/roles. A few actors I will actively avoid because they just bug me, sometimes for simply be over-exposed and overrated (Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence spring to mind) which isn't really their fault. Unless they're really annoying too (which they are). Mostly I try to avoid knowing stuff about celebrities private life, which is why I left Twitter behind and try not to follow celebrities on Instagram (SMG being the exception to that rule)

sosa lola

Scooby
I make it pretty easy on myself because I never follow actors' personal life. Ever. I know who some of the actors are married to and if they have kids, I enjoy pictures of actors with their families, but that's it. Stuff that affect the shows I watch like Seth Green wanting out of Buffy to take on different roles or NB's alcoholism limiting Xander's role in S7 are as far as I know about the actors.

I just don't really care about their personal lives or even meeting them in person unless it happens by accident, then I'm gonna take a picture - it never happened by accident 😅

I also put myself in the actors' shoes and remember that I don't want my life to be analyzed, discussed and talked about by strangers I don't know, so I stay out of their business.

thrasherpix

Scooby
It occurs to me that I'm one of the few who doesn't care that I've never met a celebrity and don't feel a desire to. I hear they show up at some convention and think "meh." I've watched the interviews on my Buffy dvds because I was bored (and a bit obsessed with the characters). The only thing that might interest me are stories behind the set and scenes, but it's rarely riveting to me (though I can feel the same thing I'd feel learning about other people I barely know). Sometimes I like to hear what the intent was or a writer was thinking.

The reason for this could be that I do see such a difference between an actor and a role he or she plays. I know it's illusion and that however much I may love a character, I normally can't meet the character, only the actor portraying said character (who probably gets tired of people talking about the character after awhile).

Top Bottom