• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Does the personal life of an actor influence the way you see a character?

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
It occurs to me that I'm one of the few who doesn't care that I've never met a celebrity and don't feel a desire to. I hear they show up at some convention and think "meh."
Yeah, I never got that either. Although it is cool to random, and organically, run into someone, I just don't get the appeal of paying to be one of the countless people they speak to at a convention.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I'm not convinced Michael Jackson was the predator he's portrayed as, either
There is something pretty suspect about the insisting on sharing a bed with underage boys. It's inappropriate at best and downright concerning and suspicious at worse. There was no need for it, it's not like there is a bedroom shortage at the Neverland ranch.

Something's gone on. Whether it's to the degree that is alleged or not remains unclear and may never be proven, however what is clear is that Jackson wasn't clear as a whistle.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I'm not saying I'd allow any child in my care to be alone with him...or anyone else I don't know well, but just an ounce of prevention to avoid a pound of cure. The guy is weird, but all the furor of him being a perv doesn't hold up for me.
HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
well they say where there's smoke there's fire

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Oh my God, the answer is a resounding YES. If an actor continually tweets about their political views, it really gets on my nerves (especially if I disagree with them).

For example, I was a big fan of Lucifer awhile back, and followed some of the actors. Lesley-Ann Brandt (who played Mazikeen) kept slamming the current American government, which I could've ignored; but then she made disparaging remarks about people who had opposing views...and I just couldn't let that slide.

Long story short, I told her that she wasn't even a US citizen, so she should shut her mouth. 😅 It was back and forth for awhile (I can be "massively unpleasant" when provoked lol) until she got really upset, and rallied her Twitter followers to back her up...then DB Woodside jumped in. It was all pretty lame. I thought, "Screw these people, I'm bored."

And that's when I stopped watching Lucifer. I couldn't bear to even look at Lesley or DB because they were so f-ing stupid. :p

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
you big meanie! 😃
Spanky
Spanky
Shameful. Just shameful. The fact she had to get help to drive you off and thwart your trolling as couldn't actually do it herself. That's why I don't follow those people on the twitter as their acolytes have that gang mentality.

Kratos

Potential
It occurs to me that I'm one of the few who doesn't care that I've never met a celebrity and don't feel a desire to. I hear they show up at some convention and think "meh." I've watched the interviews on my Buffy dvds because I was bored (and a bit obsessed with the characters). The only thing that might interest me are stories behind the set and scenes, but it's rarely riveting to me (though I can feel the same thing I'd feel learning about other people I barely know). Sometimes I like to hear what the intent was or a writer was thinking.

The reason for this could be that I do see such a difference between an actor and a role he or she plays. I know it's illusion and that however much I may love a character, I normally can't meet the character, only the actor portraying said character (who probably gets tired of people talking about the character after awhile).
Same. I never cared much about an actor’s personal life or views and conventions never appealed to me either. I can seperate the character from the actor. Don’t think I even knew some of their names until nearly a decade ago.

Last edited:

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
No, but the personal life of a creator might because their thoughts are what is actually going into the story. The actor's life may make me like their character a bit less, but nothing major.

katmobile

Scooby
There is something pretty suspect about the insisting on sharing a bed with underage boys. It's inappropriate at best and downright concerning and suspicious at worse. There was no need for it, it's not like there is a bedroom shortage at the Neverland ranch.

Something's gone on. Whether it's to the degree that is alleged or not remains unclear and may never be proven, however what is clear is that Jackson wasn't clear as a whistle.
It is very hard to judge as I think his worldview was very odd and he never had a real childhood. Then again that's true of a lot of abusers. A lot of abusers were abused. I do agree it wasn't inappropriate at best though. Jordy Chandler was exploited by his father though I believe that whatever happened to that kid he was used as a bargaining chip to extract money from Jackson and I feel very sorry for him - he was exploited however way you slice it and whatever you believe.

KatrinaL

"I'm not strong. I'm not an Amazon. I'm just me."
Not really, I'm good at compartmentalizing. I don't think that I've ever been bothered by anybody's personal life.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Shameful. Just shameful. The fact she had to get help to drive you off and thwart your trolling as couldn't actually do it herself. That's why I don't follow those people on the twitter as their acolytes have that gang mentality.
There was a bit more that went on, but I made a thread about that awhile back. 😈

I don't mind people ganging up on me. I'd much rather be nice, but if they want to come at me...well, that's on them. I give as good as I get...and it's kind of fun. When they finally realise that I have absolutely NO problem talking about their moms, they back off. Then try to find reasons to report me. 😂

Giovanna

Townie
Not really. I feel bummed if the actor/actress experiences a difficult life event. But in general, I'm good at separating life from fiction.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Well, after thinking about it I'd have to say no, .. unless that or it was in Sineya.

katmobile

Scooby
Oh my God, the answer is a resounding YES. If an actor continually tweets about their political views, it really gets on my nerves (especially if I disagree with them).

For example, I was a big fan of Lucifer awhile back, and followed some of the actors. Lesley-Ann Brandt (who played Mazikeen) kept slamming the current American government, which I could've ignored; but then she made disparaging remarks about people who had opposing views...and I just couldn't let that slide.

Long story short, I told her that she wasn't even a US citizen, so she should shut her mouth. 😅 It was back and forth for awhile (I can be "massively unpleasant" when provoked lol) until she got really upset, and rallied her Twitter followers to back her up...then DB Woodside jumped in. It was all pretty lame. I thought, "Screw these people, I'm bored."

And that's when I stopped watching Lucifer. I couldn't bear to even look at Lesley or DB because they were so f-ing stupid. :p
People have a right to their political views and to voice them even if they don't live in the country. I have views on Trump and I'm born and bred in the UK. Countries aren't islands what one does will affect the world. Climate Change's a case in point. I can't comment on the specific instance but Trump stans can be vicious so I can believe the person was defending themself and can be very strident is the most diplomatic way I can say it. If their friends joined in perhaps they were defending them or thought they were.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
People have a right to their political views and to voice them even if they don't live in the country. I have views on Trump and I'm born and bred in the UK. Countries aren't islands what one does will affect the world. Climate Change's a case in point.
People who constantly voice their 'political views' about countries other than their own usually have NO idea what they're talking about. It's just a case of their yearning to join a conversation which, in fact, has absolutely nothing to do with them.

I was born in Scotland (mostly raised in the US) and though I keep abreast of the political situation in the UK, it's just not my place to become too involved in those conversations. Why? Because I don't live there anymore, and couldn't possibly speak with any authority on the topic.

I can't comment on the specific instance but Trump stans can be vicious...
If you can't give me a specific example, then what you're saying has no merit whatsoever.

Last edited:
nightshade
nightshade
I follow US politics more than UK, just as it's more interesting! I don't really talk about either though!

katmobile

Scooby
People who constantly voice their 'political views' about countries other than their own usually have NO idea what they're talking about. It's just a case of their yearning to join a conversation which, in fact, has absolutely nothing to do with them.

I was born in Scotland (mostly raised in the US) and though I keep abreast of the political situation in the UK, it's just not my place to become too involved in those conversations. Why? Because I don't live there anymore, and couldn't possibly speak with any authority on the topic.

If you can't give me a specific example, then what you're saying has no merit whatsoever.
To be honest I don't think this is an on topic discussion for here but if you want a debate PM me.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
To be honest I don't think this is an on topic discussion for here but if you want a debate PM me.
I'm really not interested in debating. I'm right and you're wrong. End of story. :p

But seriously, I've already told you how I feel, so there's really no need for me to add anything more...at the moment. Of course, that could change depending upon my mood. 😅

Last edited:

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Completely agree. And even if people say "I follow politics" (sorry @nightshade not directed at you) unless you are actually here, you only follow what the news is reporting. And then to come out and say that they know more than a citizen that witnesses it firsthand and experiences it everyday just seems very... arrogant to me.

And then of course if you are here and you aren't a citizen I don't think you can really complain that much either. You have to have skin in the game to be able to complain. Coming over here on a work visa or something (even gasp illegally) and then complaining about it seems a bit condescending. "Your country sucks... but I am sure glad I can come here and earn a living"

nightshade
nightshade
My follow equals occasionally read up on if it sounds interesting, so no offense taken!

thrasherpix

Scooby
OTOH, outsider view's can be refreshing, and are usually (though not always) free of knee jerk reactions which divorce many Americans from reality (it can actually be shown happening in the brain by brain scans, and that's anyone with strong political views they consider important which suppresses the more logical part of the brain).

And we Americans like to speak on other nations as if we had any authority, from Argentina to Denmark, and our opinions are often just as dumbfounding and uninformed to them, so even if we're all uninformed then fair is still fair.

I get especially interested by foreigners who visit and give an impression (just as I do of Americans who personally visit other nations, not just the tourist areas mind you). There are plenty of things they haven't imagined, or didn't really get, until they were here, and it was an eye opener for better and worse. As just one example, a Mexican citizen who likes the USA (though has a dry sense of sarcastic humor in describing the US and Mexico both) but would never live here permanently also gave me a view of the border situation that has never been on our news (and not much theirs either) that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten. (Sometimes it gets surreal, like Russians who fled here during the Cold War have a very different view of the Soviet era than Russians I met who came here as tourists in the 2000s. It's like they're describing a different nation entirely despite using the same names to describe it with. Or like how some Japanese American group made a big deal about Avril's Hello Kitty being insulting to Japan while it was a huge hit in Japan who loved Avril and her song.)

Top Bottom