• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Does the personal life of an actor influence the way you see a character?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Completely agree. And even if people say "I follow politics" (sorry @nightshade not directed at you) unless you are actually here, you only follow what the news is reporting. And then to come out and say that they know more than a citizen that witnesses it firsthand and experiences it everyday just seems very... arrogant to me.

And then of course if you are here and you aren't a citizen I don't think you can really complain that much either. You have to have skin in the game to be able to complain. Coming over here on a work visa or something (even gasp illegally) and then complaining about it seems a bit condescending. "Your country sucks... but I am sure glad I can come here and earn a living"
Amen! I really get tired of people who continually complain about America. Of course it's not perfect. No country is. But so many people just LOOK for reasons to point the finger this way. Seriously, let's get real...if it weren't for US (and Russian) intervention in World War 2, England would be speaking German right now (along with a puppet government headed by Edward VIII).

For those people who live here, yet whine about how terrible it is, get the hell out if you don't like it. Honestly, just get a plane ticket and move somewhere else. Like Canada, where you can bathe in maple syrup and play with the moose. Or chat about what a big ho Justin Trudeau's mum was in the '70's. 😅

Bluebird
Bluebird
America smells :p
thetopher
thetopher
And you can thank us Brits that you're not all French speaking snobs. :P

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
Amen! I really get tired of people who continually complain about America. Of course it's not perfect. No country is. But so many people just LOOK for reasons to point the finger this way. Seriously, let's get real...if it weren't for US (and Russian) intervention in World War 2, England would be speaking German right now (along with a puppet government headed by Edward VIII).

For those people who live here, yet whine about how terrible it is, get the hell out if you don't like it. Honestly, just get a plane ticket and move somewhere else. Like Canada, where you can bathe in maple syrup and play with the moose. Or chat about what a big ho Justin Trudeau's mum was in the '70's. 😅
Also I wouldn't exist. My family is Jewish...so.... no me. What a shame

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
:p

Getting back on topic, I must say that I began to throughly dislike Joss Whedon and Alyssa Milano because they're too preachy. Kristy Swanson manages to be very blunt, but doesn't try to "convert" people. I admire that quite a bit.

America smells :p
You know that I won't say anything negative about Scotland. Therefore, you have an unfair advantage. My God, you're such a cow. 😅

nightshade
nightshade
Yes Alyssa Milano is awful now

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I also think it matters if people are giving an informed opinion on something, or if they're just spouting off some propaganda or something they read on the interwebs with no basis in fact lol. Or moreso, flat out lying. I don't care if someone thinks differently than me, but I want them to think. Otherwise they just come off an unintelligent and lowers my opinion of them (if they are trying to pretend they know everything - if they own not being the sharpest tool on the shelf, then okay).

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
I disagree with you completely and agree with nightshade, Alyssa Milano is awful now.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
It's certainly getting worse nowadays with Twitter where the medium doesn't lend itself to any sort of nuanced argument or deep thought. And yet you constantly see some celebs spouting nothing but simplistic quips or getting judgmental/enraged by something at the drop of hat.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
I also think it matters if people are giving an informed opinion on something, or if they're just spouting off some propaganda or something they read on the interwebs with no basis in fact lol.
It definitely matters, no question. I'd wager that over 75% of people are just parroting what they've read or heard online. No, they're not thinking. Why? Because fewer and fewer people these days have original thoughts. (And if they do, they're too afraid to give voice to them) It's much easier for them to hop on the idiot bandwagon, and believe whatever is popular.

nightshade
nightshade
Probably closer to 90%

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
It definitely matters, no question. I'd wager that over 75% of people are just parroting what they've read or heard online.
I agree. I think probably three quarters are just repeating what someone else said. Although honestly it might be closer to 90%

Last edited:
nightshade
nightshade
Nice edit there!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
First and foremost, I am Scottish; I have nothing to thank Brits for. :p
Well, Scottish regiments/generals helped kick France out of the colonies. Britain has, in the past, had Scottish kings. Scotland is still a part of Britain (hence 'Brits').

Also while we're at it Canada can thank the Brits for not being made the 53rd state or something. You're welcome! :D

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
We keep offering the US the opportunity to become the 11th province but they don't seem to realize how much better off they would be.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Well, Scottish regiments/generals helped kick France out of the colonies. Britain has, in the past, had Scottish kings. Scotland is still a part of Britain (hence 'Brits).
1. I am well aware of that.
2. I'm still not thanking Brits for anything.
3. Wanker. :p

thetopher
thetopher
In the UK wanker is often a term of endearment. You're so sweet ABS. :p

Hunga Munga

Potential
This thread has recently become a minefield :D . I feel like retreating to the DMZ and claiming Swiss citizenship .

On topic , I avoid social media like the plague it has become , so vocal actors and politicos don't bother me none . I am vaguely interested what writers, directors etc think about stuff , but not enough to go looking for their opinions in realtime . :)

As a Brit of a certain age , I have to face the grim reality , that many( far too many ) of the TV personalities that shaped my childhood were later revealed to be serial paedophiles and rapists . That has kinda tarnished my wonder years as a TV viewer :D .

katmobile

Scooby
Everybody's opinion is formed by media mostly because you can't personally experience everyone's life. I would like to know universe banning abortion and treating kids with brutality is ok?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Spare the rod, spoil the child.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Nah, I don't think I've ever disliked a character based on the actors personal life.
It's important to me to separate the actor and the character.
Even though it is even weirder to dislike an actor because of a character they have played.

Also don't really mind actors/celebs having opinions on social media either.
Why shouldn't they be allowed to be as stupid as all the rest of us?
I'm more annoyed about average joe who feels it necessary to be the one thousand eleventh person to point out something stupid a celeb has said on a tweet.

/SK

Annie Hall

Bangel/Spuffy... Loving love
In very selected occasions where the actor has done something terrible (according to me). In general, nope.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Does the personal life of an actor influence the way you see an actor? That guy who made a film with his face being Blue and White for part of it. Mel is a big a _ _ _ _ _ _ as the film, did it have any truth in it?
I view Mel as big a Wally as his films.

Top Bottom