• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Does the personal life of an actor influence the way you see a character?

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Sometimes just their face is enough to put me off. Like Ellen Page.
Completely agree. How they look, dress and carry themselves is what puts me off or on. I don't care a whole lot of their political views. And there is something about Page that just looks... wrong.

Spanky

Black Thorn
I personally think Ellen Page is really pretty.
She is really pretty... pretty homely looking and pretty sure her chin is trying to give birth to a conehead.

thetopher
thetopher
Also check out her receding hairline. She'll soon be bald. 'Conehead' indeed.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Though I have enough reasons to not want twitter (and think it was a mistake to have been made at all), I can now add that it doesn't potentially alienate me from celebrities in a way that might taint their work for me.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Not for me. I guess I don't really know too much about actors and I don't care to find out. So I'm pretty good with just getting the characters. What I do have a thing with is presenters. There's a number of shows I can't watch because the presenters are vile. Some while hosting, some off the air.

With regards to outsiders opinions on politics I think it's a bit much to be a nuclear power, huge polluter and export your brand of liberation and then tell everyone else to mind their own business. The world is very much interconnected and powerful countries are everyone's concern. Also the idea that local people are necessarily better informed is misguided. Lucky you if you've got a whole switched on community but for the most part you can bet that people will have little to no idea about anything.

Name the Stars
Name the Stars
Si, I agree

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
Does it work the other way, you see a celebrity that you agree with and then check out their work?

If someone keeps promoting something I will go off them, I don't care if it's something I agree with or not, I don't want to have their views in my face over and over.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Does it work the other way, you see a celebrity that you agree with and then check out their work?

If someone keeps promoting something I will go off them, I don't care if it's something I agree with or not, I don't want to have their views in my face over and over.
Strangely, yes. I told someone about SMG's gun friendly (more tolerant than enthusiast) views as he decided to watch Buffy for that reason alone, to support her. I warned him that Buffy and SMG are different characters (imagining how he'd react to Buffy telling that guard that guns are never useful). :D

And then there's this:

I mainly show it because it implies that they assumed the actor must've viewed the character sympathetically and was thus "conservative." That is not only did his political views alienate them, but their assumptions of his political views over a single character he played attracted them to the character. Perhaps it's considered "representation" that we've been hearing so much about, or equivalent to the outrage when say someone straight plays someone gay instead of hiring someone gay to play the role of a gay character? :p

Annie Hall

Bangel/Spuffy... Loving love
Strangely, yes. I told someone about SMG's gun friendly (more tolerant than enthusiast) views as he decided to watch Buffy for that reason alone, to support her. I warned him that Buffy and SMG are different characters (imagining how he'd react to Buffy telling that guard that guns are never useful). :D
:eek: Oh no, she just lost points in my celebrity ranking... then I guess it's fair to say that their private lives do influence me :(.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Sometimes seeing who they are in real life makes me admire their acting skills even more.

Like Jaha from The 100. He plays such a composed and collected in control character - but to watch him in convention and interview videos.... he just doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

A little bit the same with Daisy from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, her character is this tough as rocks chick, but her instagram makes her look like a ditzy flake.

They are both in the right line of work :D

thrasherpix

Scooby
Just a theory on people in general, something that came to me reading this thread again, and also remembering how insane some of the shipping wars get in multiple fandoms (including actors just doing their job who get threats over it).

People form a connection to a character. People are also visual and therefore many associate the actor with the character. This explains why they want to keep up with the actor as it's almost like keeping up with the actual character. And therefore, when an actor shows they are very different from a character (moral, ethics, politics, religion, what have you) then it feels, at a gut level, like a betrayal (or at least like discovering an ugly flaw on the beloved character), and therefore it sours them to the character, and any other character played by the actor in the future.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Do the roles they play have any real effect, the variety only make me view them better as actors. Do the roles change an actor? Lets look at that Hemsworth guy, of the two films doing the rounds at the moment, in one he is an Alien - Thor. In the other film he is one of the M(AW)IB ( and women ) who would probably blast away at Thor.
Does that make Hemsworth a good guy or a bad guy?

Yes, but it depends on the actor and the circumstances. For instance, I used to be a huge fan of DB and I was closely following Bones. But after finding out that he cheated on his pregnant wife, I stopped liking him so much. I mean, I still watch him if he’s in tv, but I no longer follow his shows or consider myself a fan.

However, the same didn’t happen with NB. I never considered myself his fan and I always thought that he was an ok actor. Finding out about his many issues didn’t affect my perception of his work.

Btvs fan

Scooby
BuffyForever85
BuffyForever85
I wish I could still enjoy his work as I used to, but the truth is that I had a huge crush on him and getting to know about his personal life just killed my crush and changed my perception of his work :(. And something similar happened with NF. Sigh.

Spanky

Black Thorn
BuffyForever85
BuffyForever85
This indeed sounds like too much. I believe what has been acknowledged by him and supported with evidence, though.
B
Btvs fan
I don't but in this case he paid someone off 😒
NileQT87
NileQT87
This woman always came across more like an extortionist who was pissed because she didn't get a Bones role. I take her accusations with a tiny grain of salt. I have no trouble acknowledging DB wasn't faithful, but this case has a credibility issue.

Veronique

Townie
The personal life of an actor also influences me. I don’t like DB, NB, or NF like I used to like them, but I really like SMG and her family. I don’t consider myself a conservative (in terms of family life, meaning that it’s fine if people are married, single, divorced, etc.), but big part of SMG/FPJ’s appeal is how stable their family life is and how lovely they seem together, which is not easy in general and at times it seems impossible in Hollywood. Same goes for AH/AD’s married life.

The personal life of an actor also influences me. I don’t like DB, NB, or NF like I used to like them, but I really like SMG and her family. I don’t consider myself a conservative (in terms of family life, meaning that it’s fine if people are married, single, divorced, etc.), but big part of SMG/FPJ’s appeal is how stable their family life is and how lovely they seem together, which is not easy in general and at times it seems impossible in Hollywood. Same goes for AH/AD’s married life.
SMG and AH are life goals for me! I don't think that their lives are as perfect as they seem to be, but they make it work and they have stable and happy lives.

Last edited:

Btvs fan

Scooby
My mind is blank, whose NF ?

V
Veronique
Nathan Fillon. I used to love him but after all the rumors about his behavior in Castle and the fact that Stana Katic wasn’t gonna be part of the 9th season if the show was renewed, I don’t like him anymore :(.
Top Bottom