• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Does the personal life of an actor influence the way you see a character?

Btvs fan

Scooby
Paying someone off does not mean, by any stretch of the imagination, that you are guilty of anything.
That's true but wasn't this the exact same thing that happened with Eliza Dushku though 🤷‍♂️

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
I thought about this a bit more, and whilst there is actors that I found their lives after seeing them play a character, there are some that worked the other way round. SOme actors I watch their work because of their personality and I do usually enjoy their characters, probably a bit more because of how they are as a person.
Jeff Goldblum:
I did actually see Jurassic Park when I was little but I could barely remember it. He is such a nice and funny person so I watched Jurassic Park again, I don't even think he's a good actor but he's so charismatic. He could play anyone and I would love the character. Jeff Goldblum is one of the only reasons that I watched the Thor movies...
Keanu Reeves:
I saw an interview of him with puppies and bless, he's so nice and happy and lets not forget the 'you're breath-taking'. I watched John Wick because I already knew who he was as an actor and wow, he's an amazing performer.

Taake
Taake
haha loved that "you're breath-taking!"

Lizzy95

Townie
Yes, but it depends on the actor and the circumstances. For instance, I used to be a huge fan of DB and I was closely following Bones. But after finding out that he cheated on his pregnant wife, I stopped liking him so much. I mean, I still watch him if he’s in tv, but I no longer follow his shows or consider myself a fan.
Yikes, I had forgotten this scandal. Major sleaze bag, but I still like his performances.

Btvs fan

Scooby
No. It wasn't.
A lead actor tried it on with a supporting actress. She rejected him, he used threats and tried it on again. She then took him to court to which the lead actor settled put of court.
The similarities are clearly there. The only difference is one is an actor you like and the other is one you don't.

Reactions: Leo

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
The similarities are clearly there. The only difference is one is an actor you like and the other is one you don't.
I don't really care one way or another for DB. Similarities are there, yes, but you said exactly the same. They are far from exactly the same. Michael Weatherly was never accused of taking Eliza Dushku to a park, sitting her down on a bench, masturbating and ejaculating in front of her. He was accused of making poor jokes.

r2dh2
r2dh2
I can see that they are similar in spirit but completely different in terms of the main accusation/implications. DB does seem to be a womanizer but I have a very hard time believing what this woman claims, most likely it was easy just money for her.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
@r2dh2 I realize in this current climate that we are in no way allowed to question the validity of the woman or their actions when they report such instances, but I wonder why she just didn't get up and walk away. Why did she sit there the entire time? Much of what was reported is believable, that part sounds... questionable.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
@r2dh2 I realize in this current climate that we are in no way allowed to question the validity of the woman or their actions when they report such instances, but I wonder why she just didn't get up and walk away. Why did she sit there the entire time? Much of what was reported is believable, that part sounds... questionable.
I agree with you. I believe that DB came on to her, probably more than once. But I have a hard time believing that part. The only explanation that I can get on board with is that if everything indeed happened as she says it did, she stayed because she was scared (of what? retaliation, turning down a person who holds power over you, a hottie that takes liking of you, etc.).

And yes, we are in a time where we tend to avoid questioning victims and I'm on board with that as I am with avoiding victim-blaming, except for the fact that I'm distrusting by nature, so in the back of my mind I always have open questions. I cannot blindly believe someone, but I can try to have a open mind for every likely scenario.

katmobile

Scooby
I don't really care one way or another for DB. Similarities are there, yes, but you said exactly the same. They are far from exactly the same. Michael Weatherly was never accused of taking Eliza Dushku to a park, sitting her down on a bench, masturbating and ejaculating in front of her. He was accused of making poor jokes.
I have to admit that I find it difficult that him and Sarah have remained friends for so long if he's that much of a creep. I could believe from what Sarah said about him and what I know about John Barrowman that he'd been a bit of an exhibitionist prackster and had upset someone because of it and had given them an amount in recognition of upsetting them. This sounds like something else though - I always find things like this hard to make a judgement because there have been people who were harassed who were not believed but you don't want to condemn someone just on someone else's word. I try not to judge the art by the artist but sometimes like with Mel Gibson someone is such a tool that it's impossible not too especially if their art consists of them demonising your nation and distorting the truth to do so. There's a YT channel about the historical accuracy or not of various supposed history and RL films and the guy goes to town with both The Patriot and Braveheart. There are things that are proveable and inequivalably bs about Braverheart.

I have to admit that I find it difficult that him and Sarah have remained friends for so long if he's that much of a creep. I could believe from what Sarah said about him and what I know about John Barrowman that he'd been a bit of an exhibitionist prackster and had upset someone because of it and had given them an amount in recognition of upsetting them. This sounds like something else though - I always find things like this hard to make a judgement because there have been people who were harassed who were not believed but you don't want to condemn someone just on someone else's word. I try not to judge the art by the artist but sometimes like with Mel Gibson someone is such a tool that it's impossible not too especially if their art consists of them demonising your nation and distorting the truth to do so. There's a YT channel about the historical accuracy or not of various supposed history and RL films and the guy goes to town with both The Patriot and Braveheart. There are things that are proveable and inequivalably bs about Braverheart.
Mmmmh. It's difficult to use this as an argument as of why DB is not a creep. I've had very close male friends who exhibited Parker's behavior towards women. It was nothing criminal, but they were douchebags. However, they were awesome friends with me and other girls. I believe that a person has many faces and not all of them are likable.

katmobile

Scooby
Mmmmh. It's difficult to use this as an argument as of why DB is not a creep. I've had very close male friends who exhibited Parker's behavior towards women. It was nothing criminal, but they were douchebags. However, they were awesome friends with me and other girls. I believe that a person has many faces and not all of them are likable.
I know that it isn't common but sometimes when you question something you get insight and nuance back. Thank you for that.
I suppose the us and them disparity to that leads to that doesn't have to completely determined by gender.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Paying someone off does not mean, by any stretch of the imagination, that you are guilty of anything.
This is true. We settle cases every day for various reasons having nothing to do with culpability. Sometimes it's just easier for the case to go away for all parties involved. Court costs and litigation costs are very expensive. The longer the story is in the spotlight, the more damaging to his reputation etc.

I will say that that DB's female co-stars have always spoken positively of him and seem to have got along with him. So he may not be all that bad. But who knows. I will say that based on interviews he isn't my all-time favorite dude out there. But it doesn't really effect how much I love his character.

Top Bottom