• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse — The Unsung Crown Jewel

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Great article. Nice to see show much-deserved Dollhouse love. :)

I also think its underrated as well, but it can be witty, scary, thrilloing, action-packed show and plays with some really interesting themes about identity.

Love the name btw. :D PoI is such a great show and Amy made Root such an fascinating character over the seasons. She's had a brilliant arc as she's developed.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Great article! I haven't seen Dollhouse yet, but I'm going to soon. I hope I love it :)

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Good article. I really liked Dollhouse & how it was not only nice to watch but raised some questions that really made you think .:)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Very good article! Glad to see some love for Dollhouse.

ChaseRules

Sineya
I really loved Dollhouse . I even posted a Oc here I made up for a doll house Forum I was on a number of years ago .

Jinx

Townie
I was utterly blown away with Dollhouse, and considering its inception and network, a real testament to what can be done with the limitations placed on you by others, whilst working within the rules to exploit holes that allow the writers/etc the chance for some genuine creative freedom.
Kinda cool that the reality behind the show somewhat matched the reality within the Dollhouse universe too :D

ChaseRules

Sineya
I did like how it was made & the idea behind it . Was sad that it didn't last longer since there was so many things you could have done on there :D

TarasBoyfriend

Unwilling disciple of Eyghon
Sineya
I enjoyed Dollhouse as well. I hate how it is seen by many as a blemish on Joss Whedon's career. I think it was creative and as entertaining as anything he has done.

Living Dead Boy

Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss
Black Thorn
I totally agree with your article. Count me in as a Dollhouse lover. I understand the bad rep to a degree. The show's concept and the ideas it presented were pretty scary, to be honest. It was dark and it frequently showed us the ugly side of being human, and given the power, just how far we would go to give in to our dirtiest, darkest desires. It asked hard questions, it took risks ( I love risks....on my television screen anyway :p), and it blew me away. Belonging, The Attic, and the two Epitaphs are all brilliant television in general, and it kinda sucks that people can't see that, or at the very least give it a chance to blossom, the way most Joss Whedon shows do.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Agreed . I thought it had a lot promise. And the topic was very good . Just imaniging what could happen with something like that was really thrilling .
Don't know why it has such a bad rep . To be more precise I know but don't understand myself.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
I'm currently on my third Dollhouse rewatch and my first time was only last year; this show blows me away. For me, it's right up there with BtVS and AtS, except that it got that status with less than thirty episodes. The acting is phenomenal; Eliza tackles the multiple personalities so well, I don't know why a lot of people say differently, it's the show that made me a staunch supporter of Tahmoh Penikett's career, and I loved seeing Amy and Alexis again, in different roles. Also, can we get some love for Topher? :D

And I agree, the topics and themes this raised was all a part of its charm for me, I love shows that make you think just as much as those that are simply entertaining to watch (if not more so).

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Also, can we get some love for Topher?
oh course! He has the best character arc! I love Topher. I think Dollhouse was too high concept for its time and Fox network. If it came out today on FX or Netflix I think it would would have done a lot better.

Puppet
Puppet
Considering I didn't watch it until last year, that's probably true.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Topher is just so much better than every other character. His death was so heroic but so heartbreaking.

ChaseRules

Sineya
True . I didn't like Topper at first because of the way he acted but as I got to know him I began to feel for him & was sad to see him die at the end while after the first esp I didn't care that much for him. I loved Eliza in that . She was really good at showing her talent with the multiple personalities she had there . Plus I like Summer Glau in there . She was a great guest star in the series .

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm currently on my third Dollhouse rewatch and my first time was only last year; this show blows me away. For me, it's right up there with BtVS and AtS, except that it got that status with less than thirty episodes. The acting is phenomenal; Eliza tackles the multiple personalities so well, I don't know why a lot of people say differently, it's the show that made me a staunch supporter of Tahmoh Penikett's career, and I loved seeing Amy and Alexis again, in different roles. Also, can we get some love for Topher? :D

And I agree, the topics and themes this raised was all a part of its charm for me, I love shows that make you think just as much as those that are simply entertaining to watch (if not more so).
I'm the first to admit I struggled to like Topher during our board Dollhouse rewatch, but as the show progressed, I turned to loving him completely. We even named the podcast episode on Dollhouse after him ;)

Just if you're interested.... Episode 8: I'm the one who brings about the thought-pocalypse

We don't go into massive amounts of detail about the show (because it's impossible during an hour and a half) but we'd just finished the rewatch so it was relatively fresh in our minds.

ChaseRules

Sineya
Best time to talk about it . Looks like you two are real pros :D

Top Bottom