• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.01 Ghost

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Personally I think it's a hard sell and I think that's why they don't really continue down that track later. It's not like we get to see a lot of imprints with asthma or glasses or other medical conditions in general.

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
Just to remind everyone that tomorrow is the last day of the 1.01 rewatch. On Sunday, we will be moving on to 1.02 'The Target'. :)

Bluebird
Bluebird
lol I'm so bad at keeping up. I'll be on it tonight with notes and everything!
GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
I've already watched The Target! Watched it last night, was too impatient! Will discuss it once the thread's up.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
The opening episode feels like another Train Job on Firefly, where the original pilot wasn't seen. Although I don't think Dollhouse did as well with the quick rewrite.
At the time it felt like there was some pressure on a new 'Joss Whedon Show', and I felt like a lot of people were waiting to be disappointed. I don't think the first episode helped to allay any fears. Outwith the plot, which is very familiar, the setup of the characters and the concept is well done. This new and exciting idea mixed with such a trite new-personality-of-the-week storyline meant it suffered in tone and world establishment.

Watching this episode after seeing the series a few times, I am still slightly annoyed with the direction of Boyd. It doesn't seem like it was planned yet. Like the show needed another season to hint at Boyd's true intentions, whereas season 1 is where we see the connection and trust build between him and Echo first.

For those who haven't seen the series yet - it is worth binge watching the show a second time to pick up on all the little moments that have a bigger meaning in the context of the upcoming revelations. :D

wickedtiger86

Scooby
Sineya
The thing that sticks out for me in the episode is Topher's hubris, really. I mean, to be fair, he IS basically godlike in the power that he wields. Like, 'Yes. Look. I can create asthma and take away perfect vision.' Which is certainly an accomplishment. But it's interesting to me that he is intelligent enough to do all this but then completely overlooks the possibility that something that he built into someone could have any real world complications. Such as one of the personalities recognizing her attacker. Or the asthma, limiting her in the field. Intellectual vs emotional intelligence?

Then again, I would imagine that part of building a person would include building in some sort of vulnerability. Otherwise they'd just be robots. Which he sort of talks about when he talks about making them into people.

It's very easy for me to think myself into circles with this show.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Ok, so I got to Crack open my Blu rays and I watched the special features first, which was pretty cool. Then I watched Ghost but with the commentary from Joss and Eliza so that was cool. Didn't really add much. Eliza says she was very uncomfortable dressed as Eleanor Penn. And they talked about how great the cast was. Apparently Eliza thought the motorbike client from the beginning was really "dreamy" and she loved kissing him. Personally I thought he was OK looking. Lol

Rewatching, I think I like everything at the Dollhouse but the actual hostage plot is really boring. Dr. Saunders is pretty creepy too, but I love Amy Acker in the role.

Mr Trick

Scooby
And I'm back to watching it so will dive in here!:p

[QUOTE="Taake, post: 1212486, member: 9799"]I still really hate this pilot.
It feels confused and the plot is like... generic and lame. The exposition is too clunky. I really dislike the imprint Echo has and the whole "she has a memory of the guy" thing, it's like watching Law and Order, Supernatural edition, or something. With a terrible hostage negotiator.

Also,

... to me this part of the plot made no sense at all. How they would do this? Skills, fine. Memories, sure. Medical conditions, you lost me.

If I had to grade it, it's an E at best.
What saves it from an F is the side characters, they outshine the script. While I obviously really like the rest of the show and I'm glad it continued, I'm surprised this pilot got a green light.[/QUOTE]

I think confused is a good word for the pilot. I like it a bit more than you, as I think the set-up stuff at the Dollhouse is pretty effective, and you get a good idea of the concept moving forward. But its a bit all over the place tone wise, and just has too much going on. I agree that the hostage plot was not very well thought out, plus the guy playing the girl's father was a terrible actor:eek: I did like small details, like some of the small details, but over all it could have been done better. Also, the Paul Ballad stuff was really ropy.

A bit of a flat pilot IMO.

Top Bottom