• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.02 The Target

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
The only thing I wonder is how he got to know about the Dollhouse, cause he doesn't strike me as super rich... he strikes me as the guy who saves up all year
yea I'm not sure how he or anyone learns about the Dollhouse. I didn't think he seemed rich either. It seemed liked something he saved up dirty his birthday.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
There were male dolls as well, so if you think of it as "Adelle's House of Pleasure", at least it went co-op so it isn't a betrayal of whatever feminist values Joss Whedon has. If you got an active to rob a bank for you, you might even make money by commissioning an engagement and it wouldn't have any of the sexual overtones of human trafficking. As for caring, slaves were cared for better than they were as free people because they had cash value to their owners - even the modern slavery of the military draft meant that soldiers were fed, housed and given medical care that would not exist otherwise.

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
Final day of 1.02 today guys.... tomorrow we move on to.... 1.03 (surprising, that!):D

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
The Target was a much better episode than Ghost and would have worked fairly well as the opener. I liked it even if the chase in the woods went on a bit. It showed a genuine connection between Boyd and Echo, and I got the watcher vibe on the first watch through.

One thing that really stands out is how slow paced these first standalone episodes were, the second half of season 1 and season 2 seem to fly by in comparison. A good thing to come out of these standalones is that it gave us that wee bit of breathing room to explore the relationships before the plot gets dense.

I think Dollhouse is a show that can divide people - there's no band of good guys like we've seen in other Whedon shows, we're not sure who to trust, or even who the characters are at this point. I think it asked for a lot of patience, and like @Taake has mentioned, the first few episodes don't help pull you in like the rest of the show does.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah much prefer this to Ghost too. It does a nice job of exploring Echo and Boyd's backstory and brings it nicely around to them working together on the case. It has a tight thriller pacing which I liked, and was dark, surreal and pretty sinister throughout. There are some darkly funny lines too such as the one from Sanders to Boyd when he is introduced to Dollhouse.

Top Bottom