• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.05 True Believer

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the fifth episode of the first season of Dollhouse - True Believer - written by Tim Minear, and directed by Allan Kroeker. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 5 (re)watch takes place between 24th July 2016 - 30th July 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

True Believer- S1E5
Synopsis​
Echo is programmed to go under cover as a blind woman at religious cult in Arizona after a corrupt senator recruits Dollhouse to assist the ATF in the breakup of the cult. But with Boyd watching from a distance, he soon learns that the Jonas Sparrow cult may be more difficult to handle, and the ATF agent in charge has an ulterior motive... as does Dominic when the situation takes a turn for the worse. Meanwhile, Agent Ballard continues his relentless quest to look for Echo while his neighbor, Mellie, continues to harbor a crush on him. Also, Topher and Dr. Saunders monitor Victor when he begins exhibiting primordial behavior whenever he's around Sierra.​

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
I also like this episode. I thought Eliza did really well being blind and acting as this character. I tend to enjoy cult stories. Still, these first few episodes definitely feel like they're stealing plots from other (generic) films and tv shows. That will all change, my friends! I thought the camera-in-the eye plot was interesting. I still really like the fact that instead of being a secret agent pretending to be a cult member or a thief, she really is those people. That alone just makes this show so interesting to me.

Mr. Dominic trying to kill Echo is an interesting development, as is Victor's "man reactions".

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I'm with Buffy on this one. I'm not a big fan of the topic chosen for this episode, but I think they pulled it off well. Not a favourite of mine, but not their worst episode either.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I thought this episode was a bit of an anti-climax after the previous episode (which I enjoyed a lot). It felt like another standalone episode, with not much to add to the main arc. (@Monkey Pants is right though, there are a lot of changes to come and the main plot is about to force its way to the forefront).

The aroused!Victor storyline was the highlight really. I also enjoyed Boyd swooping in to save Echo last minute (but I always enjoy that :D), it looked and felt very cinematic.

Overall, it felt like a bit of a filler for what's to come. The Victor/Sierra stuff and Dominic trying to kill Echo are some important points though.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I think this is my least favourite episode of the season, it feels like a bit of a step back in the underlying plot with Alpha on so on. The stuff between Victor and Sierra, although lovely and character building all the same, it was a bit of filler away from the A story. The episode is beautifully shot I must say, but it can drag on a rewatch. Tim Minear has the confidence as a writer to write the story he wants and this totally felt like one of his scripts. I just wish it had more of an impact on the overall story or if not at least a bit quicker to get to the point.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I really enjoyed this episode, a lot more than the last one.

The Victor/Sierra subplot was interesting, I'm really enjoying how they are all becoming more self-aware. I enjoyed the cult plot, the cult leader was creepy enough (but had gorgeous eyes!) I would have liked to see some of the cult stand up to him at the end rather than just 'Esther', but I liked the whole 'miracle' plot and how fanatical these cults can be. It's quite scary that these things happen in real life!

I enjoyed Topher this episode, he's a very mixed character. I dislike him more than I like him, but him trying to speak to the Doctor about erections was very funny.

Mr Dominic showing up was out of the blue - it's clear he really hates Echo and has had it out for her since day one. I wasn't totally convinced about ED's blind acting, especially in the car, but I felt it was more believeable towards the end.

Poor Paul Ballard, always the last to show up! Definitely not going to abandon ship, it was a fun episode. C+ rating from me.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Final day for True Believer! Tomorrow we move on to 1.06 Man on the Street. :)

GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Yaaay! SUCH a good episode.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
*skip*

Yes, I was away and couldn't watch it but I won't be re-watching it now either.

The aroused!Victor storyline was the highlight really.
Love that, but not enough to make me watch this again. Really tired of cult-storylines.Others have done it both better and worse, it's just been done so much it's lost all appeal to me and Dollhouse doesn't have interesting enough of a twist to make me feel it's worthwhile.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I really enjoyed this episode, a lot more than the last one.

The Victor/Sierra subplot was interesting, I'm really enjoying how they are all becoming more self-aware. I enjoyed the cult plot, the cult leader was creepy enough (but had gorgeous eyes!) I would have liked to see some of the cult stand up to him at the end rather than just 'Esther', but I liked the whole 'miracle' plot and how fanatical these cults can be. It's quite scary that these things happen in real life!

I enjoyed Topher this episode, he's a very mixed character. I dislike him more than I like him, but him trying to speak to the Doctor about erections was very funny.

Mr Dominic showing up was out of the blue - it's clear he really hates Echo and has had it out for her since day one. I wasn't totally convinced about ED's blind acting, especially in the car, but I felt it was more believeable towards the end.

Poor Paul Ballard, always the last to show up! Definitely not going to abandon ship, it was a fun episode. C+ rating from me.
What I didn't get about Dominic showing up like that is if he was going to leave Echo to die then why not just let the religious nut shoot her. Guess it was done for dramatic tension but still. Anyway, his dislike for Echo is providing some very interesting viewing and I liked the final shot of the episode. And I thought Eliza sold the blindness pretty well actually. Think the character was a nice change of pace for her.

Think this maybe my favourite episode so far actually. The cult thing was done very well, with some fine support performances. The erection storyline was awesome!:p And I like that we are seeing more scenes with Topher and Sanders together. Boyd was very winning again. Again it was the Paul Ballad stuff which was very dull. But at least that actually led somewhere this week.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Correction. It's " man reaction" lol
Top Bottom