• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.07 Echoes

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the seventh episode of the first season of Dollhouse - Echoes - written by Elizabeth Craft & Sarah Fain, and directed by James Contner. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 7 (re)watch takes place between 7th August 2016 - 13th August 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Echoes - S1E7
Synopsis​
Rossum Corporation asks the Dollhouse to send a large contingent of actives to a college campus to retrieve an experimental memory drug. The drug brings out suppressed memories which affect everyone, including the actives. Echo's origins are revealed.​

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Now we're getting somewhere! Not only is this great because we get some backstory to Caroline and how she got into the Dollhouse, but it also gives us an idea of how the Dollhouse gets young people to sign away a few years of their lives (there are a lot of different reasons but main theme is clearly - preying on the weak)

Second the Rossum corporation is quite intriguing!

Thirdly - the fact that Echo and Viktor glitch back to their original selves and not Doll memories (like Sierra and November) indicates the rather comforting notion that while Tooher may try to "delete" you and over write you, the real you is still somewhere in there, just buried deep.

Other highlights and thoughts for me
  • The characters being "high", Topher and Adelle are hilarious and so is Mr,Dominic. "Soft, like a kitty!"
  • The Sam twist is good
  • It's "nice" (not sure that's the word) seeing a repeat engagement. I'm just trying to get into the heads of the clients. I can see how you'd get a bit addicted to this kind of perfect wishfullfilment. (Though it's a creepy girly outfit and innocent state of mind he wants 'Alice' in)
Topher seems fundamentally lonely to me, like a guy who's never really had any friends.

Boyd saving the day again made me think about the relationship Whedon characters often have to their parents (either flawed or simply not there, mostly), but then there is Buffy and Giles and now Echo and Boyd and there is clearly this paternal love from the men, and daughter like adoration and trust from the girls...it's basically ersatz father/daughter relationships , which makes for a bit of a "you make your own family" kind of a concept. I guess, narratively, it's more interesting to see that created rather than have it assumed or obvious (as I imagine would be the case of it was about these women and their actual fathers, you'd expect there to be some kind of bond there, it wouldn't have to be worked for)

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I did enjoy this episode. The first scene with the guy repeatedly hitting his head on the glass was very disturbing. I found some of the rest of the episode confusing though. Like why Victor flashed back to the war before he was an active, but Sierra flashing back to her attack while she was an active. Does that mean his memories are more complete than hers?

I loved drugged Topher and Adelle - Olivia Williams was very funny and I enjoyed her performance a lot more than stuffy Adelle. I'm still not quite sure how people got drugged, they mentioned transmission by touch but who did Adelle and Boyd touch? Topher I get, as he had a vial of drug.

The backstory of Caroline is really interesting. I'm glad we're finally figuring out who she was. The Rossum Corp testing products on babies though - that grossed me out! It's bad enough with all the caged animals. I felt for Caroline, she clearly wanted to expose the company as being animal testers, which I'm fully behind. I just don't understand the link between the Dollhouse and Rossum right now? Unless they just make all there enemies go away by turning them into dolls?

Mellie and Paul were very sweet together, I'm sad she's 'leaving'. She has this very calming voice, which I know sounds a bit weird, but even in the angry scene in the kitchen, her voice was calm. I did feel like she might flip when she started being affected by the drug. I like her character but now I'm wondering if anyone else we know of is also a doll.... like Topher maybe? :confused:

I guess we'll also be seeing more of Sam going forward? I'm going to guess his doll name will be 'Oscar' or 'Romeo' :D

I enjoyed this episode a lot. I'm going to give it a solid B :)

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
I loved drugged Topher and Adelle - Olivia Williams was very funny and I enjoyed her performance a lot more than stuffy Adelle. I'm still not quite sure how people got drugged, they mentioned transmission by touch but who did Adelle and Boyd touch? Topher I get, as he had a vial of drug.

I enjoyed this episode a lot. I'm going to give it a solid B
There's a little brunette who comes up to Boyd and tells him he has castles or something in his eyes, then they kind slow mo it as he removes the hand she reaches out towards him

Topher high fives Mellie, then he touches Adelle's arm explaining, when he realizes, how it spreads. If I remember correctly :)

Athena
Athena
Ahh yes, that makes sense! Thanks
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Yea I caught all of that on this viewing

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Yeah, I thought it was another interesting episode. An insight into the origins of Dollhouse and Caroline's involvement is always good.

Drugged Dominic and Boyd were the best though (loved the piano scene)! I don't think Topher really changed all that much. :D

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I did enjoy this episode. The first scene with the guy repeatedly hitting his head on the glass was very disturbing. I found some of the rest of the episode confusing though. Like why Victor flashed back to the war before he was an active, but Sierra flashing back to her attack while she was an active. Does that mean his memories are more complete than hers?
Topher said they were flashing back to trauma, so maybe it's just the earliest trauma, or maybe Sierra didn't have non-doll trauma.

I liked this ep a lot - had to stop myself from watching the next episode after. The question I have about Sam is, how was he not affected? Is it because no one actually touched him? I kept asking myself why he wasn't acting crazy...

Love Paul & Mellie :D Loved "drunk" Adele. Whedon has this thing about episodes where people are drunk/revert to children, eh?

Nice point about the father figures in the shows as well. :)

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
I really like this episode, although not as much as Man on the Street. Topher, Adelle and Dominic cracked me up. I do think "everyone gets high" episodes have become a little overdone though.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
This episode might be the worst of the first 7 episodes.

A serious show degenerates into a farce.

An original show degenerates into a rip-off.

A topic-heavy and theme-heavy show degenerates into a weak plot and a lot of pointless side stories.

IMO It's as bad as the body swap episode and worse than the brain formatting episode and the murder mystery episode.

Lame.

Taake
Taake
You're the cheese and you stand alone. :P

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I'm back! Okay I'm still behind on this but I did watch the first 4, now to catch till ep 7, maybe one of these times I'll actually be on time to do the weekly discussion (was NOT planning on being this busy this month).

But this is definitely where it picks up for me. This is one of my favourite ep of s1, really the catalyst for the rest of the episodes, and truly where the show becomes the Dollhouse I love.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Last day today! Tomorrow we move on to 1.08 'Needs' :)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
The question I have about Sam is, how was he not affected? Is it because no one actually touched him?
I think he was affected. Topher says it wears off. So it makes sense it might have just worn off quicker since he was exposed sooner.

I do like this episode a lot. Except I don't really care about Caroline and her activism. I do love Topher and Adele. So many great moments, I won't list them all.

Also a young Mehcad Brooks who plays Sam. Now he's James Olsen on Supergirl.

what ever happened to him? Did he sign or not? I'm curious since we never see him again

Looking forward to watching Needs.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I'm somewhere between @vellavu and the rest of you;)

Its a decent episode, but like @Athena said some of the plotting is confusing. Also, I find the switch to goofy humour off putting. It works in Buffy because you are set up from the first episode to expect it to be a funny show, but it felt out of place here. And the guy helping Echo (who turned out to be the villain of the piece), was really bland I thought.

P.S. Though I do agree at OW rocked it comedy wise!:p

Top Bottom