• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.08 Needs

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the eighth episode of the first season of Dollhouse - Needs - written by Tracy Bellomo, and directed by Felix Alcalá. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 8 (re)watch takes place between 14th August 2016 - 20th August 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Needs - S1E8
Synopsis
The Dollhouse's worst fears are realized as several actives awaken and remember some of their past lives and try to escape from the Dollhouse.

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
Another great episode!

Thoughts in short:
"She has a thing I need" ... yeah yeah Paul. Whatever you want to tell yourself.

Waking up in a pod... *screams in horror* (though they do look oddly comforting as well)
I love Viktor and Sierra. Sierra's story is terrifying.
November's story breaks my heart.
I love getting to see them all with their real personalities, even if without memories, and seeing how they deal with everything. I really like Mike and his alien theories. They have a good balance between scary, sad and funny.

Eliza is so pretty but honestly, she's so skinny I find it a bit uncomfortable.

I'm not a big fan of Caroline, but I like her idealism of wanting to free not just herself but everyone else as well. (Although she is terrible grating at the same time, because she's too idealistic. There's no reason in here. She's the type who just goes and goes even if she ruins people's lives in her way). I'm wondering what Mountain House she's talking about though.... the only time we've seen her in the mountains was when she was a midwife in one of the episodes, is it possible that that wasn't an assignment but Caroline's real life?

Eliza is good at the physical stuff. Her fight scenes are always great.

Nolan is so creepy. My skin is crawling. (Terrific actor though!)

All in all, smart plan and well executed episode. I really love the music "Lonely Ghosts" that comes on as Echo is leading the Actives out.
Favorite line: "We're all gonna die." and "C'mon, who doesn't want to put alien guy back in the box."

Boyd going: "When Echo was leading them all out, I would have liked to have seen that." Such a creepy line considering...

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I assumed the mountain house thing was something from Caroline's real life.

Great episode - Miracle was so good in it. I love Mellie/November so much! lol

Viktor definitely stood out in this ep as well. And it's an interesting reveal at the end, when Saunders explains what they did.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
I love this episode!
We learn backstories on the characters, which is really interesting. And it's just so brilliant and sad that they get to be themselves and then we find out that it's all orchestrated.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I'm wondering what Mountain House she's talking about though.... the only time we've seen her in the mountains was when she was a midwife in one of the episodes, is it possible that that wasn't an assignment but Caroline's real life?
Doesn't Echo point out a mountain house in one of the paintings when she was remotely wiped in heist episode too?

Taake
Taake
I wish! :P

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
This was a super episode. I love that their "escape" was all orchestrated. We get a really good idea of each of their real personalities, and clearly Caroline is the sort of activist who wants to help those in need. The fact she risked her life for others really builds her as the 'hero' of the story, and the fact she called Paul Ballard as well.

Victor & Sierra together facing Nolan was great, he was super creepy!

I like that it's actively acknowledging the whole 'pimping' issue head on.

Mellie's story was so so sad. I half expected her child to be one of the ones playing at the convent, so to find a gravestone was super tough. Miracle Laurie might just be my favourite actress in the show.

I really enjoyed this. I'm going to give it an A- :)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is a really good episode. I love that Victor remembers Sierra, and waits for her at night. I really love their relationship. I hate Nolan!
I just remember the actor as the douchey jock from the movie Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. lol

This time I noticed that Mike is played by Teddy Sears who was in the second season of The Flash. Last episode was Mehcad Brooks was Supergirl, so that's pretty cool. It was nice getting to see other actives, like Mike and Tango. Makes me wonder if there are 26 actives total, one for each letter of the phonetic alphabet. Is there a Golf, or a Zulu out there? Hmm.

You know for some reason, I don't hate Paul when he's shirtless. :D. lo. I didn't really care for the dream thing though.
Cause I know where this goes and I think it all starts here. Ugh
I just feel bad for Mellie, cause of her glitch scene last week where she expresses to Topher and Adele that she's worried about Paul's obsession with Echo.

I do like Dr. Saunders experiment. I just love Amy Acker. She's just the best.:). I'm starting to notice her interactions with Boyd this time around. Topher seems to believe this notion that they are helping people. I think it's just his way of rationalizing his work. He just wants to do his thing and not really think about the implications it may have on people. For the newbies, season 2 Topher is much better.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
These episodes seem to come round so fast - last day today for Needs! :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Another great episode!

Thoughts in short:
"She has a thing I need" ... yeah yeah Paul. Whatever you want to tell yourself.

Waking up in a pod... *screams in horror* (though they do look oddly comforting as well)
I love Viktor and Sierra. Sierra's story is terrifying.
November's story breaks my heart.
I love getting to see them all with their real personalities, even if without memories, and seeing how they deal with everything. I really like Mike and his alien theories. They have a good balance between scary, sad and funny.

Eliza is so pretty but honestly, she's so skinny I find it a bit uncomfortable.

I'm not a big fan of Caroline, but I like her idealism of wanting to free not just herself but everyone else as well. (Although she is terrible grating at the same time, because she's too idealistic. There's no reason in here. She's the type who just goes and goes even if she ruins people's lives in her way). I'm wondering what Mountain House she's talking about though.... the only time we've seen her in the mountains was when she was a midwife in one of the episodes, is it possible that that wasn't an assignment but Caroline's real life?

Eliza is good at the physical stuff. Her fight scenes are always great.

All in all, smart plan and well executed episode. I really love the music "Lonely Ghosts" that comes on as Echo is leading the Actives out.
Favorite line: "We're all gonna die." and "C'mon, who doesn't want to put alien guy back in the box."

Boyd going: "When Echo was leading them all out, I would have liked to have seen that." Such a creepy line considering...
I love that conflict between the two sides though. On a very basic level you can say that the Dollhouse is a bad thing that exploits these people but then as this episode suggests their lives could be far worse if they were a part of it. I like the light and dark on both sides, and the tension in this episode is excellent.

I assumed the mountain house thing was something from Caroline's real life.

Great episode - Miracle was so good in it. I love Mellie/November so much! lol

Viktor definitely stood out in this ep as well. And it's an interesting reveal at the end, when Saunders explains what they did.
Viktor was another one I didn't seem to care that much about at first, but yeah finding out more about his history changes that and I too found his bond with Sierra touching.

It was a great twist with Sanders at the end yes. Up to this point I thought they'd wasted Amy Acker, but she does get more involved in the coming episodes. I like that her and Boyd serve as sort of a moral compass at Dollhouse and think outside of the box when it comes to strategy. I actually kinda ship them!:p

Best episode to date IMO. The ending was so powerful:)

Top Bottom