• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.09 A Spy in the House of Love

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the ninth episode of the first season of Dollhouse - A Spy in the House of Love - written by Andrew Chambliss, and directed by David Solomon. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 9 (re)watch takes place between 21st August 2016 - 27th August 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

A Spy in the House of Love - S1E9
Synopsis​
DeWitt leaves Dominic in charge of the Dollhouse when she has to leave for a short period. Topher finds a chip in the imprint chair which has been used by other agencies to alter the programming on the actives. As the Dollhouse looks for the spy within, Ballard learns more about the Dollhouse.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Love it. There is a lot to like here:

• We finally get an insight to how Adelle's mind works and how she copes with her job, how she got there. Though, she's not much better than Hearn. I mean she clearly feels conflicted about her, eh, "relationship" with Viktor but the only difference between what she does with him and what Hearn did with Sierra is that it looks better because Viktor doesn't know better so there's no physical force.

• I like getting to see how everyone is talking over Echo's head and how she is very carefully paying attention. I also like that she asks to be imprinted. Not everyone would do that. I think it's pure Caroline, and that this is more or less proof that even though they can earse Caroline's memories, Caroline's essence is still in there.

• I like the Sierra plot but it's a bit racist... she doesn't look like Ms Sato at all. Just because they put Sierra in a wig and her wardrobe... would that really fool people who work with this woman every day? Anyway, what a nightmare to have someone look like you sit next to you on the train... yikes.

• Paul finding out about Mellie is terrible. It's the first time I've felt sorry for him. What a shock. (Ps they look great together)

• I love Mr. Dominic, so sad to see him go. I kind of agree with him that Adelle is embarrassingly naive. Great twist though, wouldn't have been the same if it was anyone else.

• I like that Topher warned Boyd.

• I'm kind of in love with Echo's hair. That is all. :)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I like this episode a lot. Adele is just heartbreaking in it. And I love Echo's development and Adele's almost nurturing of it. And we're finally rid of Dominic!

Paul finding out that Mellie is an active - so sad. But I thought that was a great way to show how someone could get wrapped up in the whole doll thing: because to Paul, November is Mellie, he loves Mellie, but she's not real. Shows how someone else could really love someone who wasn't actually real.

I also liked Adele's explanation that Echo is protecting herself by eliminating Dominic.

Black Thorn
This episode is awesome.
I'm not a HUGE fan of Paul, but him finding out about Mellie was, like, way harsh. I was quite surprised when it was Adelle hiring Victor. I love when Echo offered to be imprinted.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is one of my favorite episodes of Dollhouse. There's only a few episodes that I've rewatched and this is one of them. It's great!

I love getting to see each Doll's imprint. Sierra's reminds me of a spy thriller movie. Victor's off on a romance fantasy for Adele. November reveals herself to Paul. Which is sad for him.

Olivia Williams is great in this episode. I love her at the end with Mr. Dominic, she's really cold and she admits that. I love when she tells him she'll put him back in his box. Brillant.

I like Echo going to Topher wanting to help. I love when she flat out tells him that he makes people different. You can see the concern on his face. I love that Echo trusts Boyd no matter what.

I also really like Ivy. I thought it was funny how she complains about Topher, but that actually incriminates her. She's an underappreciated character and she knows it. Also Victor suggesting that she actually might like Topher.

I like the Sierra plot but it's a bit racist... she doesn't look like Ms Sato at all.
It's racist, yes. It plays on that idea that all Asians look alike. This is proof that they do not. I blame this on the casting director. They simply read in the script "asian woman". They didn't bother to get someone that actually looked similar to Dichen Lachman. And it's a bit sad if Ms. Sato's co-workers don't even notice.

Shows how someone else could really love someone who wasn't actually real
It reminds me of Dawn. All of the memories of Dawn are fake, her body is real (it's from the blood of Buffy). Had the monks stuck the key into an existing body and created new memories, would it be any different? Buffy still loves her the same. If she stays Mellie for the rest of her life is she not real? There's really no right answer but this show definitely makes you think about your morals and what it means to be yourself. What it means to be a real person.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This was a great episode, my heart actually broken a little bit for Adelle. I've never really liked her all that much, so although the plot with Victor was a little creepy, I kinda forgave it because she's clearly a lonely woman who believes she found something with 'Roger'. I thought their scenes were great. I got a bit teary when she just broke down in front of him. Olivia Williams was superb in this episode.

All the interweaving stories were good. I too didn't see any similarity between Sierra and Ms Sato. It seems pretty ridiculous that her colleagues wouldn't recognise it wasn't her. Maybe it's trying to say that in the NSA you don't know who you work with? Not sure, but yeah, ever so slightly racist.

Mellie as November as Mellie was brilliant. I'm glad Paul knows Mellie isn't Mellie, but it also breaks my heart that the illusion is gone. I still love Miracle Laurie so much. I also love that she's a similar body type to me, it's nice to have a range of body types represented, other than just the really tiny frames of Eliza & Dichen.

What was with Echo's dominatrix outfit?! It was possibly the skimpiest outfit they could find. I'm clearly not up on my S&M fashion, I thought they wore a bit more. (Isn't she going to catch her death of cold one of these days). It also highlighted to me just how tiny Eliza is. She does have fantastic hair though, in every scene. I want the Dollhouse stylist!

I'm glad to see the back of Mr Dominic, I never really liked him. Is something up with Dr Saunders too? She has no life outside the Dollhouse and no friends to speak of? Sounds pretty weird. I'm beginning to think there is more to her than just 'Dollhouse resident doctor'.... :rolleyes:

A grade!

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Mellie as November as Mellie was brilliant. I'm glad Paul knows Mellie isn't Mellie, but it also breaks my heart that the illusion is gone. I still love Miracle Laurie so much. I also love that she's a similar body type to me, it's nice to have a range of body types represented, other than just the really tiny frames of Eliza & Dichen.

I'm glad to see the back of Mr Dominic, I never really liked him. Is something up with Dr Saunders too? She has no life outside the Dollhouse and no friends to speak of? Sounds pretty weird. I'm beginning to think there is more to her than just 'Dollhouse resident doctor'.... :rolleyes:

A grade!
Agree on Miracle in general, and that it's lovely to see someone who's not super skinny.. They're all very pretty ladies but it's nice to see that there's not just ONE type of doll that it's assumed everyone wants. The Dollhouse is still a bad place but at least they believe that variety is the spice of life ;)

I'll make you love him! :p
I thought that was a very clever scene, learning a bit more about Dr Saunders, getting a subtle but definite fishy vibe about her, cause it does sound weird and she was definitely a bit discomfited by the questions.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I still love Miracle Laurie so much. I also love that she's a similar body type to me, it's nice to have a range of body types represented, other than just the really tiny frames of Eliza & Dichen.
Just jumping in to agree strongly. :D I think Miracle is amazing, and any time my partner and I watch Dollhouse he has to tell me how much of a crush he has on Mellie lol he's totally smitten.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
She's so pretty and she has such a lovely melodic voice. I think Miracle is amazing.

Last day for this, I'm really starting to enjoy this show a lot, I hope the quality continues :D

Bluebird
Bluebird
I'm so glad you're enjoying it :D
Black Thorn
Posting a bit late but I had to jump on in. I love this episode for so many reasons but primarily because it shows the type of woman Adelle is. Your head of security is a backstabbing snitch? Never show him any bit of emotion that you ever cared for him and send him straight to the attic.
She turns on the ice so well that I envy that trait about her. I wish I could go from 100 to 0 craps to give about a person so abruptly.
We see that emotion though when she is with Roger, and how Dominic hurt her so bad, but no one else in the dollhouse would know except Victor.

Rid of Dominic? What is this blasphemy?
Hey I'm with you on this one. He's just so cold hearted and ruthless, not that I like him because of that of course;) I do like the twist of him being the mole and how it played out, but I would have liked to have seen him stay a bit longer. Think they could have done a bit more with his feud with Echo.

I like this episode a lot. Adele is just heartbreaking in it. And I love Echo's development and Adele's almost nurturing of it. And we're finally rid of Dominic!

Paul finding out that Mellie is an active - so sad. But I thought that was a great way to show how someone could get wrapped up in the whole doll thing: because to Paul, November is Mellie, he loves Mellie, but she's not real. Shows how someone else could really love someone who wasn't actually real.

I also liked Adele's explanation that Echo is protecting herself by eliminating Dominic.
Don't you think Paul should have cottoned on before that though? Like when she sent him a message from DOLLHOUSE!!??:eek: Mind you the boy does look pretty slow on the up take;)

This is one of my favorite episodes of Dollhouse. There's only a few episodes that I've rewatched and this is one of them. It's great!

I love getting to see each Doll's imprint. Sierra's reminds me of a spy thriller movie. Victor's off on a romance fantasy for Adele. November reveals herself to Paul. Which is sad for him.

Olivia Williams is great in this episode. I love her at the end with Mr. Dominic, she's really cold and she admits that. I love when she tells him she'll put him back in his box. Brillant.

I like Echo going to Topher wanting to help. I love when she flat out tells him that he makes people different. You can see the concern on his face. I love that Echo trusts Boyd no matter what.

I also really like Ivy. I thought it was funny how she complains about Topher, but that actually incriminates her. She's an underappreciated character and she knows it. Also Victor suggesting that she actually might like Topher.

It's racist, yes. It plays on that idea that all Asians look alike. This is proof that they do not. I blame this on the casting director. They simply read in the script "asian woman". They didn't bother to get someone that actually looked similar to Dichen Lachman. And it's a bit sad if Ms. Sato's co-workers don't even notice.

It reminds me of Dawn. All of the memories of Dawn are fake, her body is real (it's from the blood of Buffy). Had the monks stuck the key into an existing body and created new memories, would it be any different? Buffy still loves her the same. If she stays Mellie for the rest of her life is she not real? There's really no right answer but this show definitely makes you think about your morals and what it means to be yourself. What it means to be a real person.
Williams is fantastic. A very underrated actress and Adelle is a great part for her. She's very icy, and commanding in this episode, yet you see a more human side to her also. Its interesting how you are positioned to be on her side more than Dominic's too;) I love the scenes between the two of them.

Is it racist or is it just reflecting a certain kind of racism in society? Just asking:)

Another great episode:)

Black Thorn
It's difficult to decipher whether it's racist or pointing out racism in society without knowing the story behind how that situation happened in the first place. I think it was a mistake of the casting department and ultimately racist.
Even negligence can be responsible for racism in the media. It doesn't have to be overt as yellow face. I've never heard of any interviews surfacing saying " we did that intentionally to show that society stereotypes asians in a way that makes them believe they all look alike"
However the actress who plays sierra does have a very unique look. One could argue that every actor/actress has a unique look but have you seen zoey deschanel and Katy perry? Im sure if they looked hard enough they could have found someone.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
However the actress who plays sierra does have a very unique look
I believe the actress Dichen, is Tibetan. The commentary for Epitaph said she was the one who came up with Priya's last name, because they wanted a real Tibetan name for the character. Anyways, different groups of Asains look different from each other. Just like all white people don't look alike. I think it was just the castings fault. But it does play into the idea that society thinks all Asians look alike. So it is a bit racist.