• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.11 Briar Rose

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the eleventh episode of the first season of Dollhouse - Briar Rose - written by Jane Espenson and directed by Dwight Little. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 11 (re)watch takes place between 4th September 2016 - 10th September 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Briar Rose - S1E11
Synopsis
Echo helps a troubled youth. Ballard finally locates the Dollhouse. He locates someone who designed the Dollhouse, now he's closer than ever to rescuing Caroline.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
I love this episode! I love Alan T as Stephen Kepler and I really love him together with Paul. "Medicinal carrots!" Lol. Also, I share his fear of stairs without risers.

Paul's break up with Mellie breaks my heart. It's very clever though, to follow her. It's a nice cut scene between the Dollhouse and the castle in the storybook too... although it does make Echo the "princess" in his little fairytale and it might be why I don't really root for him when he tries to get her out.

"Whose body am I in?" - that scene with Mr. Dominic in Viktor's body is so unsettling. It's so creepy to imagine it.

Awesome Alpha reveal.

The only question I have is minor - how did they get kid Susan's brain scan?

Best line:
Paul: "Eden wasn't a prison"
Stephen: "Are you kidding? The apples were monitored!"

Brilliant.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I wondered that too, how they got the brain scan of the little girl. The other thing I wondered was how did Adele's security camera still work if Stephen took out all the security?

Liked this episode a lot - when Alpha slashes Viktor I was still shocked, even though I'd seen it before. And the sexy man fighting...

Really hard to not go on to the next episode after this one.

Black Thorn
I really really love this episode. I thought Alan Tudyk was really great as Alpha, and that twist was pretty shocking. And I love that Paul thinks he's the prince but really he's not.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
It's the second best episode of the season, for sure. I knew Alpha was gonna be Alan Tudyk though, so that part was slightly ruined BUT it was still amazing to watch. Tudyk pulls off a dark character surprisingly well! He did sound a little like King Candy as Stephen Kepler which was slightly off-putting. :D

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I love Eliza's look in this episode. So pretty! :D

So how did Topher find out about this little girl? He just wanted to show off his skills or something? It's an interesting concept. Also going back to what Roger told Topher, I think Ivy does like him. lol

I love Alan Tudyk! I knew he was in the show but I love his reveal as Alpha! And he looks great in that tight shirt. lol. He's great as Stephen Kepler, I love when he drinks the coffee and then spits it out.

What I don't like about Paul, is that he kind of loves Mellie and sleeps with her, then finds out she's a doll and sends her back to the Dollhouse. But when he's talking to Stephen (and everyone) he is only concerned about Caroline. *rolls eyes* ugh. What about saving Mellie! And everyone else! Why does he care about Caroline so much! Are we going to be watching the unaired pilot after this season?

I don't like the Briar Rose connection with Ballard (and ultimately Alpha). The only weak parts of this episode are the scenes with the girl, because it feels like a forced theme and the girl's problems weren't relevant. Other than that the last half of the ep is really good.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This was such a great episode. I love the Alpha reveal, I was genuinely shocked at the slashing of Victor and he went from meek Stephen to ice-cold Alpha very quickly and convincingly. I thought the scenes with Susan were ok, and I get it was sorta relevant for the Sleeping Beauty references, but we could have done without it all and just got to the meaty parts of the ep.

Very clever of Paul to follow Mellie, although I don't understand why he couldn't follow the van in? Or did I miss something there?

Security at the Dollhouse is rubbish, it seems they only have Boyd on staff :p

Really well paced, interesting and scary episode, I loved it. A
What I don't like about Paul, is that he kind of loves Mellie and sleeps with her, then finds out she's a doll and sends her back to the Dollhouse. But when he's talking to Stephen (and everyone) he is only concerned about Caroline. *rolls eyes* ugh. What about saving Mellie! And everyone else! Why does he care about Caroline so much! .
Yeah that kind of irks me too. Yeah saving Caroline is important, but she's still a stranger to him. They're all strangers to him and they all need saving, surely? He only loved Mellie before he realised she was a doll, which is a bit hypocritical really considering Caroline is also a doll. :rolleyes:

As for watching the unaired pilot I didn't plan to, but we can :)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
he went from meek Stephen to ice-cold Alpha very quickly and convincingly
this time I noticed that even as Stephen, Alpha seemed to be fighting to stay in control of that personality. Before you know it's Alpha you think it's just a cute quirk but now it seems like maybe it was him struggling with his Stephen Kelper persona.

As for watching the unaired pilot I didn't plan to, but we can
Have you seen it? We don't have to watch it for this. But I think it gives Paul better motive (not much) for why he's obsessed with Caroline. Rather than just some evidence Alpha sent him.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yes, please. At the end of this season let's watch the unaired pilot. :)

Very clever of Paul to follow Mellie, although I don't understand why he couldn't follow the van in? Or did I miss something there?
He didn't want to give himself away? Not a smart plan to just drive in, better to have the element of surprise :)

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yes, please. At the end of this season let's watch the unaired pilot. :)

He didn't want to give himself away? Not a smart plan to just drive in, better to have the element of surprise :)
Ha ha, I'd have just driven in. I never think of the long game though.... :p

Yeah we can absolutely watch the unaired pilot. We're also planning to watch Epitaph One, I think that was also unaired?

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ha ha, I'd have just driven in. I never think of the long game though.... :p

Yeah we can absolutely watch the unaired pilot. We're also planning to watch Epitaph One, I think that was also unaired?
Ehm, you're not allowed to watch this show unless you're planning to watch Epitaph One! :p Will never understand why they didn't air it.

Also, you'd make a terrible spy ;)

Athena
Athena
Terrible spy, excellent pies! :-p
And we're back on track!;)

I was excited when I heard Tudyk was going to be in the show, but didn't expect anything like this! I mean at first he's very funny like always, and you can see something dark lurking, but before the big reveal I thought they were over doing his nervous comic routine a little bit, but later it all makes sense:) And he was very sinister, who knew he had this performance in him...:eek:

Paul finding the Dollhouse was nicely handled too (I was wondering just what he was playing at;)), and I liked the scenes with him and Boyd.

Again its nice to see more depth for the Dr Sanders character. She was a bit of a slow starter for me, but am starting to see her importance now. Great cliff hanger ending too:)

Top Bottom