• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.12 Omega

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the twelfth episode of the first season of Dollhouse - Omega - written and directed by Tim Minear. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 12 (re)watch takes place between 11th September 2016 - 17th September 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Omega - S1E12
Synopsis​
Alpha has taken Echo. More secrets of the Dollhouse are revealed. Ballard must work with the Dollhouse to stop Alpha, if he wants to save Caroline.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Wow, this was some episode lol. I love that Whiskey reveal and now we don't have to not mention it because of spoilers! :D

I find it at the same time interesting and confusing Echo compositing or whatever Alpha did to her. I'm not sure how she didn't go crazy lol, but I guess Alpha was crazy before.

I love that Paul's price for joining the Dollhouse was November's freedom :)

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
A great episode! I love the Whiskey reveal, it makes all kind of sense too. Very sad interraction between her and Victor.

Love the flashbacks and getting into who Alpha is.
I really like the kind of twisted love thing Alpha has going for his "Omega", though it's perfectly terrifying to imagine what it'd be like to be Caroline and wake up looking at your own body... yikes. (Kind of makes you think about what putting your self on a shelf means. Is it suicide of a sort? I mean, Alpha could ostensibly - as he threatens to do - imprint a thousand Carolines over the earth and kill them all, but each Caroline would start up for the same point of having been wiped. They wouldn't remember any of the other Carolines because she'd be external to them. If they lived there could be a whole army of Caroline's who all become different from each other and are no longer the 'real' Caroline, but fundamentally they are... my head hurts :confused:)

I do love the Paul/November thing. (must go find an old banner now!)

The Sierra and November as bounty hunters is kind of silly because it goes nowhere. I think they cut parts out, but leaving parts of it just seems redundant.

Echo: [to Paul] You saved her.
I think it was last year that I read a feminist review hating this part of the episode, i.e. that Echo didn't get to save Caroline, that in the end Paul had to be the white knight on a horse saving the day. It's not something I would have thought of myself, I've seen the episode several times without reflecting on it. But this time, having read that review, I did have it in mind and did find it a bit silly that Paul had to be the savior. It would have been nice if Echo had gotten to be the hero of the day.

"...but I still don't believe you can wipe away a person's soul.”

Feels like Paul is starting to get to heart of Joss' Dollhouse theology. A non-dualistic body/mind harmony theme. (I actually used this episode for a schoolassignment last fall!)

Who pays for a fantasy where you're kidnapped by serial killers by the way? That's one twisted dude....

Favorite line:
Alpha: He's not kidding. *We're* not bluffing! I'm bluffing. But the rest of us! We mean business.

I find it at the same time interesting and confusing Echo compositing or whatever Alpha did to her. I'm not sure how she didn't go crazy lol, but I guess Alpha was crazy before.
I've thought about that, and I think it's because Alpha is not really a person like Echo is. He is all of his personalities at once, meaning there is no one really running the ship, he is special in the sense that he can handle it (somewhat) but he can't control it like she can. Because Echo becomes the backdrop to all of those personalities dumped on her, she's always there by now (which is why she can say that she gets that none of the personalities are her), even if she's not yet fully aware of her personhood (she thinks of herself as the porchlight to Caroline's return according to this ep) but she can slip in and out of personalities at will, meaning that she steersthe ship.
She's their negative space, one can step forward, but she's always the background.

I hope that made sense.
:)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I forgot about the bounty hunters to nowhere - good point! And I like that explanation of Echo and why she can handle all the personalities.

As for the hero of the day - I do think Echo got to be the hero.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I like Sierra flirting with Ballard. lol. I totally didn't realize the bounty hunter thing went no where. It's on the deleted scenes though. And it's actually kind of funny. Ballard says to Boyd "It's ok, I've seen how you do this", then turns to November and says "You need therapy" And then gets hit. LOL! Boyd corrects him "It's treatment, you need a treatment." Ballard "No, I'm fine" Then falls down. lol. But even the deleted scenes don't take that storyline anywhere! It was just something for the actresses to do I guess.

I love Alpha! Alan Tudyk is great. "Alpha meet Omega". The only thing I don't like is Alpha just kind of disappears? No one chases after him, Ballard is too busy "saving Caroline" and the bounty hunters are...no where to be found! But ok, we'll let a murderer go. Like a Batman villain, "until next time...". lol.

Does the black president line bother anyone else? I don't like it.

Eliza's outfit is...pretty hot. And I liked her in the car scene but didn't really care for her acting after she was imprinted as Omega. Spouting on about understanding everything, and being ascended and who Caroline is...blah blah blah. Maybe it's just bad dialouge, but I don't like it.

I feel really bad for Dr.Saunders/Whiskey. She's confused and doesn't know who she really is. The look on Topher's face when she says she hates him. Poor Topher. I always loved him and Saunders together.

All in all, I think it's a good conclusion to the first season, but it also doesn't really hook you into needing to watch the next season, so I can see how the show got cancelled. Even though season two is much better.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I've been so busy this week I've not had chance to watch yet! Last day today though, so I'd better get cracking!

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I hope you didn't read this thread before watching!:eek:

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
This was a great episode overall but there were some things that didn't make sense....

Sierra & November became bounty hunters and didn't actually do any bounty hunting
Paul agrees to save November at the end (which don't get me wrong, is super cute!) but his whole purpose was to save Caroline. He's been banging on about that for 12 episodes.... he gets the opportunity to save her and he chooses not to?! Maybe there was a deleted scene which explained why. And I do think it was good of him to save November, obviously he has deep feelings for her from when she was Mellie. But I'm guessing this means no Mellie in Season 2, which makes me sad.... I love Miracle Laurie!
Why did they get the worst actress in the world to play Wendy/new Caroline? She was awful!

I loved the Whiskey reveal, it was a fantastic twist, but I had a few questions.... why does she admit to hating Topher? Why didn't the male imprint realise he was now a woman? Can you switch sexes on imprints? The reveal that Alpha cut her because he wanted Echo to be number one was very creepy!

The Alpha bits were great and Alan Tudyk completely steals the show, his multiple personalities are truly quite scary, but they did just let him go at the end. I mean he was climbing to the top of a tower, so he really had no escape (unless he had a helicopter up there?!)

Really fab episode though. Great end to a fairly mixed but overall good season :) A

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Why did they get the worst actress in the world to play Wendy/new Caroline? She was awful!
Because she was in the original pilot and Joss liked her so much he even put her in a small role in the Avengers. Look for her next time you watch it :D

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Because she was in the original pilot and Joss liked her so much he even put her in a small role in the Avengers. Look for her next time you watch it :D
Yeah, I thought I recognised her. She's the waitress who Cap saves, she's rubbish in that too :p

@Taake Did you spot Viktor too? :)
Yeah, he's one of the police officers in the battle of New York ;)

Taake
Taake
Did you spot Viktor too? :)

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
She's a regular on that show Blindspot with Jaime Alexander. I think she plays the science/tech nerd or something. Have not seen enough of the show to say whether or not she's good in it. But, yea I always remember her as the little girl from Growing Pains. lol

A great episode! I love the Whiskey reveal, it makes all kind of sense too. Very sad interraction between her and Victor.

hbacks and getting Love the flas into who Alpha is.
I really like the kind of twisted love thing Alpha has going for his "Omega", though it's perfectly terrifying to imagine what it'd be like to be Caroline and wake up looking at your own body... yikes. (Kind of makes you think about what putting your self on a shelf means. Is it suicide of a sort? I mean, Alpha could ostensibly - as he threatens to do - imprint a thousand Carolines over the earth and kill them all, but each Caroline would start up for the same point of having been wiped. They wouldn't remember any of the other Carolines because she'd be external to them. If they lived there could be a whole army of Caroline's who all become different from each other and are no longer the 'real' Caroline, but fundamentally they are... my head hurts :confused:)

I do love the Paul/November thing. (must go find an old banner now!)

The Sierra and November as bounty hunters is kind of silly because it goes nowhere. I think they cut parts out, but leaving parts of it just seems redundant.

Echo: [to Paul] You saved her.
I think it was last year that I read a feminist review hating this part of the episode, i.e. that Echo didn't get to save Caroline, that in the end Paul had to be the white knight on a horse saving the day. It's not something I would have thought of myself, I've seen the episode several times without reflecting on it. But this time, having read that review, I did have it in mind and did find it a bit silly that Paul had to be the savior. It would have been nice if Echo had gotten to be the hero of the day.

"...but I still don't believe you can wipe away a person's soul.”

Feels like Paul is starting to get to heart of Joss' Dollhouse theology. A non-dualistic body/mind harmony theme. (I actually used this episode for a schoolassignment last fall!)

Who pays for a fantasy where you're kidnapped by serial killers by the way? That's one twisted dude....

Favorite line:
Alpha: He's not kidding. *We're* not bluffing! I'm bluffing. But the rest of us! We mean business.

I've thought about that, and I think it's because Alpha is not really a person like Echo is. He is all of his personalities at once, meaning there is no one really running the ship, he is special in the sense that he can handle it (somewhat) but he can't control it like she can. Because Echo becomes the backdrop to all of those personalities dumped on her, she's always there by now (which is why she can say that she gets that none of the personalities are her), even if she's not yet fully aware of her personhood (she thinks of herself as the porchlight to Caroline's return according to this ep) but she can slip in and out of personalities at will, meaning that she steersthe ship.
She's their negative space, one can step forward, but she's always the background.

I hope that made sense.
:)
Flashbacks are normally one of the weakest parts of a television show, but I agree that these were really effective. They served their backstory purpose, and contrasted nicely with the present day scenes. Also, they weren't too confusing, but at the same time were a bit of a mind ****! Which made sense because of the story being told. The only bit about the episode I wasn't sure about what Alpha terrorizing the guy at the start to the sounds of Only In Dreams. It felt like they were ripping off Blue Velvet. If BV had not happened some twenty years before they might have gotten away with it;)

I like Sierra flirting with Ballard. lol. I totally didn't realize the bounty hunter thing went no where. It's on the deleted scenes though. And it's actually kind of funny. Ballard says to Boyd "It's ok, I've seen how you do this", then turns to November and says "You need therapy" And then gets hit. LOL! Boyd corrects him "It's treatment, you need a treatment." Ballard "No, I'm fine" Then falls down. lol. But even the deleted scenes don't take that storyline anywhere! It was just something for the actresses to do I guess.

I love Alpha! Alan Tudyk is great. "Alpha meet Omega". The only thing I don't like is Alpha just kind of disappears? No one chases after him, Ballard is too busy "saving Caroline" and the bounty hunters are...no where to be found! But ok, we'll let a murderer go. Like a Batman villain, "until next time...". lol.

Does the black president line bother anyone else? I don't like it.

Eliza's outfit is...pretty hot. And I liked her in the car scene but didn't really care for her acting after she was imprinted as Omega. Spouting on about understanding everything, and being ascended and who Caroline is...blah blah blah. Maybe it's just bad dialouge, but I don't like it.

I feel really bad for Dr.Saunders/Whiskey. She's confused and doesn't know who she really is. The look on Topher's face when she says she hates him. Poor Topher. I always loved him and Saunders together.

All in all, I think it's a good conclusion to the first season, but it also doesn't really hook you into needing to watch the next season, so I can see how the show got cancelled. Even though season two is much better.
I enjoyed the black president line. What bothered it about you?

This built beautifully on the previous episode, they made for a great two-parter and too the series in a bold and fresh direction. I like the idea of Ballard working with the Dollhouse. Think because of how robotic the actor is, it may suit him more than trying to be the heroic figure all the time. On a different note I like this episode mostly because Acker gets to show her full range as a actor. And once again she knocks it out of the park! :p

This was a great episode overall but there were some things that didn't make sense....

Sierra & November became bounty hunters and didn't actually do any bounty hunting
Paul agrees to save November at the end (which don't get me wrong, is super cute!) but his whole purpose was to save Caroline. He's been banging on about that for 12 episodes.... he gets the opportunity to save her and he chooses not to?! Maybe there was a deleted scene which explained why. And I do think it was good of him to save November, obviously he has deep feelings for her from when she was Mellie. But I'm guessing this means no Mellie in Season 2, which makes me sad.... I love Miracle Laurie!

I loved the Whiskey reveal, it was a fantastic twist, but I had a few questions.... why does she admit to hating Topher? Why didn't the male imprint realise he was now a woman? Can you switch sexes on imprints? The reveal that Alpha cut her because he wanted Echo to be number one was very creepy!

The Alpha bits were great and Alan Tudyk completely steals the show, his multiple personalities are truly quite scary, but they did just let him go at the end. I mean he was climbing to the top of a tower, so he really had no escape (unless he had a helicopter up there?!)

Really fab episode though. Great end to a fairly mixed but overall good season :) A
Very good question. My answer is that it goes along with the theme of the show of dolls having such human qualities that the lines do become blurred between people treating them as artifical and as human. Although Paul found out the truth about Millie/Novemeber I think on some level he did still have feelings for her (and of course she was basically a human being). He never had that connection to Caroline. That's the difference to me.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
I enjoyed the black president line. What bothered it about you?

This built beautifully on the previous episode, they made for a great two-parter and too the series in a bold and fresh direction. I like the idea of Ballard working with the Dollhouse. Think because of how robotic the actor is, it may suit him more than trying to be the heroic figure all the time. On a different note I like this episode mostly because Acker gets to show her full range as a actor. And once again she knocks it out of the park! :p
it just bothers me. It really dates show. Especially, since Obama is leaving office soon. And it feels like they were just trying to make a statement. I think cause Joss and Eliza were big Obama supporters. Idk I just don't like it.

Oh I just saw this because of the new posts. Me, it's probably my least favourite line of the whole series!
is one of my least favorite lines in anything. I just cringe a little every time I hear it. I think maybe Elizas delivery doesn't help it either.

But that's a bit like saying anything that changes after a show airs suddenly becomes dated I never get that argument. The fact we are having a switch in the White House soon doesn't lessen that joke for me.:)

Top Bottom