• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 2.01 Vows

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the first episode of the second season of Dollhouse - Vows - written and directed by Joss Whedon. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 1 (re)watch takes place between 25th September 2016 - 1st October 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Vows - S2E1
Synopsis​
Echo enters an assignment as a newlywed who is undercover trying to bring down an arms dealer. The Rossum corporation becomes a target of a senator. Dr. Saunders and Boyd discuss Dr. Saunders' personal conflict while she takes out her frustrations on Topher. Ballard gets in deeper with the Dollhouse.​

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I was glad Echo was "undercover" and some dude didn't just hire an active to marry him. I'm not sure I like Dr. Saunders going nutso. Loved Echo going all badass on the arms dealers lol

Nice to see Jamie Bamber, and Alexis.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
I agree that it's good it was an undercover thing, someone hiring an active to marry is just weird to think about. Though it's kind of terrible that they tricked Klar into it, I mean even if he was a bad guy, rather heartbreaking to fool someone into falling in love. Wonder how many months they spent on it... Good story though, and Echo makes a beautiful bride. I love the song "Hazy" that plays during their wedding night.

I do like Dr. Saunders going nutso. I think it's interesting to try to see her cope with being created by Topher. It's a nice exploration of a Doll becoming self-aware without having a sense of self like Echo does. It's nice to see a connection between her and Boyd. I think we needed that freak out to understand why she would leave.

Obviously Adele prefers Viktor, which we already knew, paying for him to get the scars fixed.

Also nice insight into Topher, surprising depth from him.
And "You tricked it!" Lol

Not sure who Jamie Bamber is but he's pretty handsome... and scary when he confronts Roma.
"Wait... who did they make me this time?" Eerie scene.

Love seeing Echo 'wake up' and kick ass. Good stuff. Worse plan well executed.

The end with Paul and Echo mostly makes me laugh because Tahmoh is like literally a giant. I know she's sitting down, but dude is pretty tall, just saying. :) (I don't give two figs about finding Caroline though. Not sure if that's the intention... like that we're supposed to care more about Echo.)

Ps. now whenever anyone is hanging onto the outside of a car in a TV or movie I'll be on the look out for the convenient handles which Athena spotted on the van in the BtVS movie :D

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is a good sort of setup for what season 2 will be like. I think it's a good first episode. I don't like the credits though. In the commentary Joss says they tried the credits with the other cast members and it didn't work. I guess these credits are suppose to reflect Echo's evolution or something. I still don't like them, I prefer season 1's credits.

I love the scenes with Topher and Dr. Saunders! I like seeing behind the scenes of where Topher works and sleeps. And Amy is just so brilliant and creepy but you also feel sympathetic for Whiskey. And it's a great scene that humanizes Topher and you realize that he does have a set of morals. Joss said that people we're liking Topher in the first season so this scene was in hopes to get people to care about him after what we saw in Epitaph.

One line that I really like is when Klar says "I'm beginning to think she's not taking this seriously." I just find that funny.

And no I still don't care about Paul and Echo. Especially since he seems to be bothered by her marrying and sleeping with Klar, and then becomes her handler! Handler's shouldn't have those feelings towards an active. I guess the difference is that Paul would never do anything to hurt Echo. Although he did sleep with Mellie even after he found out she was a doll. But I like Boyd still being concerned for Echo. Don't really care for him and Dr. Saunders though.

Not sure who Jamie Bamber is but he's pretty handsome... and scary when he confronts Roma.
He plays Apollo on Battlestar Galactica. I thought he was hot on that show but no so much in this episode. lol. He and Alexis have the opposite accents for me. I love Alexis' British accent that I find his normal American accent to sound a little fake. Whereas I find Jamie's natural British accent to sound fake against his great American accent on BSG. Joss loves BSG and it just ended when he started Dollhouse so that's why he uses some of the actors on the show, like Tahmoh and the uncle in Belle Chose.

"Wait... who did they make me this time?" Eerie scene.
On the commentary Joss said this is a reference to the movie Stepfather. I saw the remake and there's a similar line in it. It is very creepy.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
First thing: I don't like the new opening titles!
Second thing: BSG Reunion! Helo & Apollo together again! :D

I didn't recognise Jamie Bamber in the wedding scenes, but as soon as we got back to the house, I had a bit of a fangirl squee!

I'm so glad that it wasn't a client marrying an active, I wasn't sure how it would all play out. I'm a little confused how Ballard is in charge of bringing this guy down, if he's no longer FBI? Who's he working for? Presumably now he's working for the Dollhouse, but why would they get involved in bringing this guy to justice?

Anyway the standout scenes for me are with Topher & Whiskey/Claire. Amy Acker just knocks it out of the park with her portrayal. She knows she's not real, but she doesn't want to die to bring her old self back. This is super deep psychological stuff, about her sense of self and sense of identity. It still didn't explain to me how they made "Dr Saunders" - a man, into "Dr Claire Saunders", but Topher did imply he had 'made' her have these flaws, so she would feel real. I just thought their scenes together were superb. Topher feels guilty and responsible for her pain (and so he should), but she also has to deal with jealousy towards Echo and Victor. I hope we see her again this season.

I wish the A plot was as tight and well scripted and performed as the B plot, but it was enjoyable enough.

Ps. now whenever anyone is hanging onto the outside of a car in a TV or movie I'll be on the look out for the convenient handles which Athena spotted on the van in the BtVS movie :D
Ha ha, I was looking for the handles too! I did notice he managed to drive out of the airport hangar and onto a residential street really quickly....

This is a good sort of setup for what season 2 will be like. I think it's a good first episode. I don't like the credits though. In the commentary Joss says they tried the credits with the other cast members and it didn't work. I guess these credits are suppose to reflect Echo's evolution or something. I still don't like them, I prefer season 1's credits.

I love the scenes with Topher and Dr. Saunders! I like seeing behind the scenes of where Topher works and sleeps. And Amy is just so brilliant and creepy but you also feel sympathetic for Whiskey. And it's a great scene that humanizes Topher and you realize that he does have a set of morals. Joss said that people we're liking Topher in the first season so this scene was in hopes to get people to care about him after what we saw in Epitaph.

One line that I really like is when Klar says "I'm beginning to think she's not taking this seriously." I just find that funny.

And no I still don't care about Paul and Echo. Especially since he seems to be bothered by her marrying and sleeping with Klar, and then becomes her handler! Handler's shouldn't have those feelings towards an active. I guess the difference is that Paul would never do anything to hurt Echo. Although he did sleep with Mellie even after he found out she was a doll. But I like Boyd still being concerned for Echo. Don't really care for him and Dr. Saunders though.

He plays Apollo on Battlestar Galactica. I thought he was hot on that show but no so much in this episode. lol. He and Alexis have the opposite accents for me. I love Alexis' British accent that I find his normal American accent to sound a little fake. Whereas I find Jamie's natural British accent to sound fake against his great American accent on BSG. Joss loves BSG and it just ended when he started Dollhouse so that's why he uses some of the actors on the show, like Tahmoh and the uncle in Belle Chose.

On the commentary Joss said this is a reference to the movie Stepfather. I saw the remake and there's a similar line in it. It is very creepy.
Am with you here. I'm just glad that they are giving Acker much more to do now and she is producing the goods as always. Its good too that they are exploring Topher's more human side, and I liked the touch of him refusing to sleep with Sanders/Whiskey.

Its early days. But I am much more egaged with Boyd's attachment to Echo than Pauls.

Think Alexis is from Canada;) But anyway you're right! He is so damn good at the British accent and I'm used to that now, so it was weird to hear him do another one:D

Solid Season opener. It had a nice thriller feeling to it with some good character moments, and some strong acting. I thought Barber was spot on as the smug arsehole;)

Top Bottom