• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 2.02 Instinct

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the second episode of the second season of Dollhouse - Instinct - written by Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters and directed by Marita Grabiak. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 2 (re)watch takes place between 2nd October 2016 - 8th October 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Instinct - S2E2
Synopsis​
Echo is imprinted with the memory of a mother with a newborn baby for Dollhouse's latest business client. Complications arise when, thanks to Topher's programming, Echo takes too strongly to motherhood due to her maternal instincts. Meanwhile, Senator Perrin escalates his investigation into Rossum Corporation over the imprint technology. Also, DeWitt pays a visit to the former active November (now in her real personality of Madeline Costley) where she has a dark agenda of her own.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Technically this is a fine episode, super eerie with the programming and I feel so bad for Emily/Echo when she thinks her husband is after her and can't let go of the baby (don't mess with that mother instinct!), but something about it just bugs me. Whenever I watch it I want it to end, and partly it's cause I can't stand the guy who plays the husband - Kristoffer Polaha. I've been unable to stand him since I first saw him in Tru Calling and he was part of why I stopped watching Ringer. I'm not even sure what about him bugs me so much, lol, but for some reason... just don't like him!

I am continuously annoyed by the way they dressed Madeline/November here. I mean are they kidding with these outfits...
dollhouse2x02_0839.jpg dollhouse2x02_1471.jpg
I don't for one second believe that if it had been one of the skinnier actresses in this part that they would've been dresses so housewifey-weird. Especially that first outfit with the hair... I feel like they didn't know who the heck Madeline was or who they wanted her to be. And it bugs me too.

So for me this is a dud of an episode, even though I find the general idea of it really interesting.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Oh I liked the first outfit - I thought Miracle looked terrific :) That suit was bad though.

I don't care for Kristoffer Polaha either, and I think that made me not like the baby storyline. The Madeleine stuff was the highlight for me.

:)

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ok, I found the premise of this episode weird.

I get that his wife died during childbirth and he can't bond with the baby, because he's grieving. But why would you hire an active to be a mother for that child? Being a mother is a long term thing, you don't just hire someone to be a mum for a few days, weeks, months etc?! Why did he not hire a nanny instead? I just don't get why anyone would choose an active to be their baby's mother, when it's only for a short term? They mentioned it was to bond with the baby, but surely that's the worst reason in the world?

I like that the mothers instinct went deeper than the mind, and so they couldn't wipe it out of Echo, but on the whole the A plot just seemed completely daft and stupid. I did however think Eliza's acting was superb, the scenes where they take the baby away from her were completely harrowing.

And they brought Miracle Laurie back! Yay! But for absolutely no reason whatsoever?! Just to see how she's getting on being all rich and housewifey. Just seemed pointless to me. And yeah, the way they dressed her annoyed me, because I always dress like a 50s housewife when I'm at home and then wear an ill-fitting suit when I go outside too.... :rolleyes:

I mean, the episode was interesting, but on the whole pretty daft. C rating.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is late but I took a break to finish my Bones DVDs, so now I'm catching up on this.
I don't know why this guy would hire a doll. How long was Adele going to let this continue on for? Just switch to a new doll when Echo's contract is up?
It's nice to see more of Senator Perrin. Alexis is always great to watch.
Topher and Ballard is NO Topher and Boyd! lol. It's not the same. I like that they made Sierra as the best friend.
Ugh, I don't like Madeline. But I do kinda like this idea that no one ever really leaves the Dollhouse. Although why doesn't Topher just erase the memories of the Dollhouse when the Dolls leave?
The ending is really creepy. It kind of reminds me of the movie The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.
partly it's cause I can't stand the guy who plays the husband - Kristoffer Polaha. I've been unable to stand him since I first saw him in Tru Calling
Yes! I don't like this actor either not because he's bad, but I don't like any of his roles. Don't like him here, hate him on Tru Calling, Didn't like him on Ringer and just recently saw him in an ep of Bones, where I also hate him. He's not a bad actor he just needs better roles.

Technically this is a fine episode, super eerie with the programming and I feel so bad for Emily/Echo when she thinks her husband is after her and can't let go of the baby (don't mess with that mother instinct!), but something about it just bugs me. Whenever I watch it I want it to end, and partly it's cause I can't stand the guy who plays the husband - Kristoffer Polaha. I've been unable to stand him since I first saw him in Tru Calling and he was part of why I stopped watching Ringer. I'm not even sure what about him bugs me so much, lol, but for some reason... just don't like him!

I am continuously annoyed by the way they dressed Madeline/November here. I mean are they kidding with these outfits...
View attachment 7755 View attachment 7756
I don't for one second believe that if it had been one of the skinnier actresses in this part that they would've been dresses so housewifey-weird. Especially that first outfit with the hair... I feel like they didn't know who the heck Madeline was or who they wanted her to be. And it bugs me too.

So for me this is a dud of an episode, even though I find the general idea of it really interesting.
Oh I was wondering what I'd seen him in. Think I agree the casting of him was the my main issue with the episode. Not only is he a bad actor, but I can only see him as a scumbag so I had trouble feeling sorry for him. Besides that I quite liked the episode. It explored a another new aspect of Echo and I thought ED gave one of her best performances on the show. I really felt her distress and conflict.

Don't have any problems with Madeline's outfit. Don't forget that at this stage she is basically free to live her own life, so its possible that she would choose to dress that way as a contrast to how she would often dress when she was at the Dollhouse.

Top Bottom