• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 2.03 Belle Chose

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the third episode of the second season of Dollhouse - Belle Chose - written by Tim Minear and directed by David Solomon. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 3 (re)watch takes place between 9th October 2016 - 15th October 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Belle Chose - S2E3
Synopsis​
A backer of the Dollhouse needs to talk to his nephew who was injured in a car accident. He wants to find some people who may have been abducted by his nephew.​

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
This wasn't my favorite. There seemed to be such a dichotomy between the uncle wanting to help save the girls and him later breaking Viktor out. I feel like it would have been better if they were really doing this for law enforcement reasons.

Viktor being Kiki and Paul having to wait while Echo got all dolled up were the best parts of it.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
I actually rather like this one, maybe because I like crime shows and there's something oddly comforting to me about a creepy guy creating human female dolls in a basement somehwere... (this is between me and a qualified psychiatrist! :p) I also think it's an interesting use of dolls, an engagement I feel like I 'get' more than say midwife on a mountain somewhere...

I agree with you B about the best parts, Viktor as Kiki and Paul waiting for Echo (never gave much thought before to where they got dressed) are stand outs. Kiki/Viktor with Paul cracks me up a lot.

The most interesting part of the episode to me however is that Terry obviousl realizes that he is in a woman's body when he's in Echo, but maybe he's more aware and shrewd... but Kiki does not realize she's in a man's body. I mean there is just zero registration to the fact, and while it's hilarious, you'd think she'd glance down once and then freak out. But she seems right at home in that body... just makes me curious about imprints and gender.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This was a weird one. It was reasonably enjoyable, the serial killer guy was creepy enough but something felt really 'off' about the whole thing (apart from him kidnapping and killing women of course!)

Like, Echo becomes Kiki (for reasons I don't fully understand) and turns out Kiki submitted a paper previously, which she was graded F for. I get the timelines may be a little skewy, and she may have been Kiki for a while, but on-screen she only appears to have been Kiki for a day or so, so how did she submit a paper and have it graded in that time?

And why was she supposed to seduce her professor? I do kinda feel like they had a story but had to get Eliza in on it somehow. Her storyline just feels so wedged in.

Victor definitely made a better Kiki! I love those scenes in the club, he's got the moves! :D

just makes me curious about imprints and gender.
I mentioned this before, with Dr Saunders who was a man who became Dr Claire Saunders. You'd think the imprints would be gender specific, but maybe Topher can take the gender classifications out?

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
This was a weird one. It was reasonably enjoyable, the serial killer guy was creepy enough but something felt really 'off' about the whole thing (apart from him kidnapping and killing women of course!)

Like, Echo becomes Kiki (for reasons I don't fully understand) and turns out Kiki submitted a paper previously, which she was graded F for. I get the timelines may be a little skewy, and she may have been Kiki for a while, but on-screen she only appears to have been Kiki for a day or so, so how did she submit a paper and have it graded in that time?

And why was she supposed to seduce her professor? I do kinda feel like they had a story but had to get Eliza in on it somehow. Her storyline just feels so wedged in.

Victor definitely made a better Kiki! I love those scenes in the club, he's got the moves! :D

I mentioned this before, with Dr Saunders who was a man who became Dr Claire Saunders. You'd think the imprints would be gender specific, but maybe Topher can take the gender classifications out?
Wasn't the paper just made up by the professor? Isn't it kind of like Ms Penn's glasses? They have to have a full history to be real people, i.e. she doesn't have to have been Kiki to get an F, it just has to be imprinted in her that it happened and then the professor can provide a phony paper to fullfill his fantasy.

I think a lot of professors probably have that seduced by a young hot student as a fantasy ;)

Yeah, though with Dr. Saunders I just figured he re-created the memories of being a male to female ones because it was planned out. It's curious to think about though, how the imprints work like that.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh I didn't get that! I genuinely thought she was meant to be his student for real..... (well, as real as expected!)

Forgot to grade it too, I'll give it a C-

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Should Paul be approaching the Dolls in the shower? Don't they have someone to do that? I don't like the sexual implications, Echo saying she's all wet and glad to see Paul.

I do like the scene with the clothing dept. I like that guy. Although this is the first time that Paul has been there? It's still cool to see more of the process. I don't like Paul watching Echo get dressed, that's a bit creepy.

I do like Eliza's performance as Kiki, I think she's funny. Middle English "it's like hobbits or something" lol. Reminds me of her character on That 70's Show.

I think Enver does a better job as a serial killer that the actor that played the real Terry. And he's great as Kiki! I love Paul holding him and saying "you got a problem?" lol. I don't like Eliza as Terry though it's too over the top. It reminded me a bit of Glory and Ben, when she's saying "he's here, he's coming".

I do kinda feel like they had a story but had to get Eliza in on it somehow. Her storyline just feels so wedged in.
I think that is part of the problem with having Eliza be the lead instead of it being an ensemble show. They wouldn't have had to force her into the story in a big way.

Should Paul be approaching the Dolls in the shower? Don't they have someone to do that? I don't like the sexual implications, Echo saying she's all wet and glad to see Paul.

I do like the scene with the clothing dept. I like that guy. Although this is the first time that Paul has been there? It's still cool to see more of the process. I don't like Paul watching Echo get dressed, that's a bit creepy.

I do like Eliza's performance as Kiki, I think she's funny. Middle English "it's like hobbits or something" lol. Reminds me of her character on That 70's Show.

I think Enver does a better job as a serial killer that the actor that played the real Terry. And he's great as Kiki! I love Paul holding him and saying "you got a problem?" lol. I don't like Eliza as Terry though it's too over the top. It reminded me a bit of Glory and Ben, when she's saying "he's here, he's coming".

I think that is part of the problem with having Eliza be the lead instead of it being an ensemble show. They wouldn't have had to force her into the story in a big way.
Good point. The main weakiness of this second season so far for me has been the Paul-Echo relationship. It just hasn't gelled and certain moments like that have been creepy which makes it worse.

Me too. Think it shows that she does comedy pretty well. Also, that sort of reflexive sort of humour is one of the best things about a Whedon show and it made for a nice change here.

Oddly enough I found the scenes between Echo and the teacher to be moving. Its like I believed that he actually cared for her and was helping her as a student. It was only thinking about the idea that he would hire her for that and then when they started dancing that put me off.

Liked this episode too, though the plotting was a bit patchy at times.

Top Bottom