• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 2.04 Belonging

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the fourth episode of the second season of Dollhouse - Belonging - written by Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon and directed by Jonathan Frakes. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 4 (re)watch takes place between 16th October 2016 - 22nd October 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Belonging - S2E4
Synopsis​
The story of how Sierra came to the Dollhouse is revealed. And leads to a shocking outcome.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
I love this episode so much. It is so disturbing and truly frightening. I mean:
a) we find out someone has forcefully (literally and not just through coercion) become a doll
b) if it hadn't been for Topher she would have been sent to him PERMANENTLY to be his sex-slave for life.
It gives me so many chills I can't even...

Nolan is one of the biggest creeps in Creeptown. He gives me the chills. That actor is phenomenal.

Mr. Harding, I know he's a super creep but I love the actor so much that I hardly care. My crush on Keith Carradine continues.

Love Echo scolding Topher "you don't look hard enough, you never do" and then Boyd saying it's funny that it's bothering him. It's nice to see Topher getting a bit of a moral awakening. One of my favorite lines: "You Topher were chosen because you have no morals." His face after is priceless.
Topher having to take care of Nolan in the end is... ugh, hard to watch.

I like that Adelle deals with it by drinking. It's nice to see that she struggles even if she follows command.

I really love a non-Echo centric story really, haha, it's just really interesting to see how the rest of them ended up there as well.

Random thought: do you guys think we might care more about Caroline if she had had friends and family on the outside that we knew about? Would that ground her a bit more in reality. As it is we've only gotten glimpses of a boyfriend who died and friends who are clearly not looking for her. Should Paul had been made to find someone connected to her in real life (in season 1) and found out more about Caroline as a real person? I mean maybe if we saw parents, or friends or siblings who missed her she would seem more like a real person we’d care about…

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I like that Priya and Victor meet before she's a doll and they have an immediate attraction. I like Victor trying to get rid of the paint because it makes Sierra sad. I love them in the shower!
I always like these little scenes with Topher and Echo. I love that Topher sees that something is wrong and tries to figure it out and help. I do feel sad for Topher when Adele tells him he was chosen for not having morals. Goes back to Vows and his talk with Whiskey.
I love Adele talking with Nolan calling him a rapist scumbag. Harding is a terrible person by allowing Nolan to take Priya permanetly.

This is a great episode because we get to see a backstory on Sierra. This is what the show should have been about from the beginning. It should have always been about the dolls and the Dollhouse, not Echo's hero's journey.

Random thought: do you guys think we might care more about Caroline if she had had friends and family on the outside that we knew about? Would that ground her a bit more in reality. As it is we've only gotten glimpses of a boyfriend who died and friends who are clearly not looking for her. Should Paul had been made to find someone connected to her in real life (in season 1) and found out more about Caroline as a real person? I mean maybe if we saw parents, or friends or siblings who missed her she would seem more like a real person we’d care about…
Yes. If her parents had came to Paul and asked for his help that might have been better. I still think Paul should have known her as Caroline before she became a doll.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The Echo hate around here amuses me so much lol

I really thought Topher was going to give Priya like badass ninja skills lol...but she got the job done. The comparison between Priya and Madeleine is an interesting one, I think. How they went in and came out of the Dollhouse.

I think if they had made HER a person we'd care about. The glimpses we've seen of her, I didn't find her that likable.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This is definitely the best episode of Season 2 so far.

Priya's backstory was both terrifying and awful. Nolan was such a disgusting excuse for a human being. Just the scene at the start where he refuses to let her leave gives me chills, and also made me want to shout out "Why is no-one in the room helping this girl?!?!" I'm so glad he got his comeuppance at the end. The disposal scene was grim - and very Breaking Bad!

Topher really surprised me though. Throughout Season 1 I struggled to connect with him, due to his lack of any sort of morals. And now we find out that was the reason he got the job in the first place. So to see him actually care about someone is nice.

I too was surprised he didn't give Priya additional skills - maybe they can't enhance the original personality? But I was so glad she took him out, on herself, even though killing a man affected her deeply.

Her scenes with Victor were lovely. I don't have any Echo-hate per se, but I just disagree with inserting Eliza into episodes that don't deal with her character, for no apparent reason. I like that this ep was purely about Sierra/Priya. Dichen Lachman did a great job.

A

This is definitely the best episode of Season 2 so far.

Priya's backstory was both terrifying and awful. Nolan was such a disgusting excuse for a human being. Just the scene at the start where he refuses to let her leave gives me chills, and also made me want to shout out "Why is no-one in the room helping this girl?!?!" I'm so glad he got his comeuppance at the end. The disposal scene was grim - and very Breaking Bad!

Topher really surprised me though. Throughout Season 1 I struggled to connect with him, due to his lack of any sort of morals. And now we find out that was the reason he got the job in the first place. So to see him actually care about someone is nice.

I too was surprised he didn't give Priya additional skills - maybe they can't enhance the original personality? But I was so glad she took him out, on herself, even though killing a man affected her deeply.

Her scenes with Victor were lovely. I don't have any Echo-hate per se, but I just disagree with inserting Eliza into episodes that don't deal with her character, for no apparent reason. I like that this ep was purely about Sierra/Priya. Dichen Lachman did a great job.

A
This, this so this! He's really growing on me this season and this was his best episode to date. Love Sierra's backstory and finally the actress was given some meaty stuff to do, and did it well. It was a very greulling episode which kept me on the edge of my seat and had lots of good character moments and diloque. I love the atmosphere and music of the episode too.

Top Bottom