• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 2.05 The Public Eye

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the fifth episode of the second season of Dollhouse - The Public Eye - written by Andrew Chambliss and directed by David Solomon. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 5 (re)watch takes place between 24th October 2016 - 29th October 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

The Public Eye - S2E5
Synopsis​
Senator Daniel Perrin breaks new ground in his attempt to expose the Dollhouse's secrets - by recruiting Madeline/November to testify before a Senate subcommittee. Rossum states that they will handle the situation, leading Ballard and DeWitt to fear for Madeline's safety, so Echo is sent to stop him, in hopes that that will keep Rossum from harming her. But all is not as it appears - Rossum has a hidden agenda, and the tension between the LA Dollhouse and its parent company increases. Meanwhile, in the Washington DC Dollhouse, we meet genius programmer, Bennett Halverson, a woman with a mysterious past connection to Echo/Caroline.​

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I don't remember seeing these episodes, so I'm wondering if I never actually watched them the first time around. Because I can see why - I am getting really BORED with this season. I don't care about Cindy Perrin, I don't care about the senator.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
I actually really like this. I love the Doll twist and the idea that you don't have to make a new person, but that you can "manufacture" upon their original selves.Real creepy. Also love that they've got people in politics, makes sense.

I wonder though, why does Echo identify Cindy Perrin as not "real" and later "not right"? I mean, since when does she have super-Handler-spotter-powers?

Loooove Paul escaping from the house, he's awesome there. I like his interactions with Madeline too. I really like her and Paul together, I think they have nice chemistry.

I don't like the actress who plays Cindy, she just bugs me.
I don't really like Bennett either. Even if it is semi-interesting I guess that she has a personal connection to Caroline. Would of course be more interesting if I cared about Caroline...

Also... this is the first time I'm watching the show week by week, before I've always bingewatched, and frankly it works better for binge watching. I don't feel like I have enough of an emotional connection to any of the characters to feel properly connected to the story when I watch it like this. Next time I re-watch I'll definitely make sure to binge.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Maybe it's because he's away from Echo this ep. Lol

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I really like this episode. It feels like it is two episodes though. The first half ending with the reveal that the senator is a doll. I really like that reveal too.

A small thing that I liked was using Kilo for the neuro disruptor demonstration. It's nice when we get to see more dolls beyond Victor, Echo, Sierra and November.

Bennett is a little off, but I do like her character. And I look forward to seeing her relationship with Caroline.

Loooove Paul escaping from the house, he's awesome there. I like his interactions with Madeline too. I really like her and Paul together, I think they have nice chemistry.
I really liked Paul this episode, and I was on his side. I like his line about no one ever really leaving the Dollhouse. I also found him really hot for some reason in this episode. lol. I still don't like Madeline either. She seemed to be a little bit understanding of Paul when he was explaining his situation, but then she just was like I don't care cause I'm not Mellie.

I wonder though, why does Echo identify Cindy Perrin as not "real" and later "not right"? I mean, since when does she have super-Handler-spotter-powers?
Hmm. Maybe she can detect handlers? I mean dolls are suppose to be connected to their handlers, so maybe she could sense that Perrin was connected to his handler in a similar way? Idk. Or the first time she was just guessing. Cause right after that theres a close up of Perrin saying "it's like they made her just for me" that does sound suspicous.

Taake
Taake
Same here with Paul, lol, for some reason he's really hot here

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
I loved Mellie/November/Madeline in previous episodes but I struggled to warm to her here. I loved however that Perrin turned out to be a Doll, because having a doll in the Senate actually makes sense. If you can control a person, you'd want to control a powerful person. First stop, the Senate, final stop The White House....

His wife Cindy bugged me. I just don't think she's a very good actress (although, maybe she's acting like that on purpose?) It was quite clear as soon as she started the white knight/ damsel line that there was some pre-programming there. I like that the show made you think she was the doll.

Bennett was a weird addition. I mean I like Summer Glau, and I get her and Caroline are supposed to have history.... but the whole torture thing just made me squeamish.

It was an enjoyable episode, but not the best B-
This is the beginning of me shipping Caroline/Bennett lol
Yes! Caronett.... Benoline.... I'd totally ship that, but without the torture.....

Okay I'm going out on the limb here and suggesting that AD is really British;) Because here his American acent is really bad!:D That's right just like his doll in this episode he had fooled us all:p

I actually really like this. I love the Doll twist and the idea that you don't have to make a new person, but that you can "manufacture" upon their original selves.Real creepy. Also love that they've got people in politics, makes sense.

I don't like the actress who plays Cindy, she just bugs me.
I don't really like Bennett either. Even if it is semi-interesting I guess that she has a personal connection to Caroline. Would of course be more interesting if I cared about Caroline...

Also... this is the first time I'm watching the show week by week, before I've always bingewatched, and frankly it works better for binge watching. I don't feel like I have enough of an emotional connection to any of the characters to feel properly connected to the story when I watch it like this. Next time I re-watch I'll definitely make sure to binge.
I like that part of the story too. Its a new way of doing the same thing as the Paul Ballard plot in S1 and does make the later reveal even more powerful for me.

It was a good idea for them to revisit their relationship and if it keeps his creepy arse away from Echo then I'm all for it:eek:

Me neither. Think they just got the casting with Summer wrong there. I like her in Firefly, but she just wasn't very convincing doing all buttoned up like that. It was a nice touch expanding the universe and showing us another Dollhouse. The plot itself I liked, it was just that bit of casting that didn't gel.

Top Bottom