• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 2.07 Meet Jane Doe

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the seventh episode of the second season of Dollhouse - Meet Jane Doe - written by Tracy Bellomo and directed by Wendey Stanzler. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 7 (re)watch takes place between 6th of November 2016 - 13thNovember 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Meet Jane Doe - s2E7
Synopsis
After her entanglements with Perrin and the DC Dollhouse, Echo finds herself out in the world-at-large as she struggles to control her multiple memory downloads. Unsure who she is, Echo calls upon the only person she can remember; Ballard. At the Dollhouse Adelle engages in a power struggle with Harding over the L.A. Dollhouse and Topher discovers some new tech.​

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Echo in the wild... I never cared for this. I mean Echo meets girl, Echo gets girl jailed, Echo spends what - three months? - recouperating and cohesing her imprints, becoming a person in order to save said girl. She does this under the tutelage of Paul Ballard and we get to see NONE OF IT! I'm sorry Galena, but I don't care about you, I want to see how Paul found Echo, how they set up together, how they started working on Echo becoming self-aware and being able to handle her imprints! This is the interesting stuff. Now it's like - Echo is clueless and OH look, Echo's a person now! But as a viewer I don't feel like I know Echo cause I didn't get to see it. So I struggle to care about her, I struggle to care about her feelings for Paul, and all I wish is that the poor Galena had never met Echo.

The interesting stuff is happening at the Dollhouse, and I'm using interesting rather loosely here. I like that Topher managed to invent the thingy, I like that Adelle betrays him, but the episode as a whole leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it would have worked better if we had a full episode before it focusing on Paul and Echo outside of the Dollhouse.

For me this is episode gets an E, bordering on an F. Because it's kind of like the Potentials in season 7, it's random plot stuff that takes away from what I as a viewer really want to see.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
I've not managed to watch this yet, but I just caught your score and now I'm wondering if it's worth it?! :D:p

(PS I will watch it asap)

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
Echo in the wild... I never cared for this. I mean Echo meets girl, Echo gets girl jailed, Echo spends what - three months? - recouperating and cohesing her imprints, becoming a person in order to save said girl. She does this under the tutelage of Paul Ballard and we get to see NONE OF IT! I'm sorry Galena, but I don't care about you, I want to see how Paul found Echo, how they set up together, how they started working on Echo becoming self-aware and being able to handle her imprints! This is the interesting stuff. Now it's like - Echo is clueless and OH look, Echo's a person now! But as a viewer I don't feel like I know Echo cause I didn't get to see it. So I struggle to care about her, I struggle to care about her feelings for Paul, and all I wish is that the poor Galena had never met Echo.

The interesting stuff is happening at the Dollhouse, and I'm using interesting rather loosely here. I like that Topher managed to invent the thingy, I like that Adelle betrays him, but the episode as a whole leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it would have worked better if we had a full episode before it focusing on Paul and Echo outside of the Dollhouse.

For me this is episode gets an E, bordering on an F. Because it's kind of like the Potentials in season 7, it's random plot stuff that takes away from what I as a viewer really want to see.
^This

(I didn't think there was much point typing something similar out all over again!)

I'll give it an E

But isn't that a bit like saying you don't care about any of the victims who Buffy or Angel help in their respective shows? Are you really supposed to? Their plot devices and it is about what the lead character is doing and how it advances their character. To me this was Echo getting more in tune with her human side which for me is a worthwhile thing because its part of her struggle to discover her true self and escape her life at the dollhouse. I can see your complaint with the plotting, but I went with it personally. I thought it was well done. Also, I liked that they explored a real world issue to do with the mistreatment of immigrants. It was gripping for me, but we could have used a bit of backstory with her and Paul.

Speaking of which I him and Echo just don't work for me. And I find their intimate scenes really creepy. That was the low point of the episode IMO.

Adelle was fantastic in this episode. The end really showed her vicious streak and Williams did a great job in building up to the twist.

^This

(I didn't think there was much point typing something similar out all over again!)

I'll give it an E
Hey! I thought the ratings only went down to D or D-;) So in theory you could rate something as Z!:eek:

Top Bottom