• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Dollhouse (Re)watch & Discuss: 2.11 Getting Closer

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the eleventh episode of the second season of Dollhouse - Getting Closer - written and directed by Tim Minear. This (re)watch is open to new Dollhouse viewers (such as myself) and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 11 (re)watch takes place between 4th December 2016 - 10th December 2016. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Dollhouse has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Getting Closer - S2E11
Synopsis​
In order for Echo and her allies to stop the Rossum Corporation from bringing about the collapse of civilization with their remote mind-wipe technology, Caroline's personality must be restored to Echo, as Caroline is the only one who can identify the mysterious head of Rossum, but this which proves more challenging that it initially appears. Bennett Halverson is forcibly taken from the DC Dollhouse - along with November - to LA to help restore Caroline's damaged personality backup, and the story behind her hatred for Caroline is revealed. Topher must confront his feelings for Bennett, as Echo learns just what was sacrificed in rewiring Paul Ballard's brain, and the nature of Boyd Langton's "domestic issues" is revealed. DeWitt orders all actives restored to their original personalities and evacuated, as all-out war with Rossum becomes imminent. In the episode's final shocking moments, we learn the truth behind Rossum's leadership.​

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Man, I'm way behind! never gonna catch up now. lol. I do like season 2 better than 1. This is a good episode but I hate what happens to Bennett! I love Topher and Bennett. And I love when Topher tells Ivy to save herself. Topher has been great this season.
I was so shocked the first time I watched the show. out of all the Joss Whedon deaths, this is the one that gets me! Everytime! Lol.
I do like seeing more of Carolines past, but she's kinda a bitca. Just because she thinks she's fighting for a good cause does not give her the right to lie and manipulate people. I wonder if they made Caroline unlikable on purpose hoping it would make Echo more likable.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Aaah, I've completely fallen behind. Gosh darn life getting in the way. Who needs school anyway? Will try to catch up!

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm a little behind too - hope to get this episode done tonight!

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
This episode sure did move at 100mph! Some genuinely shocking scenes, including Bennett's death by Claire's hand (did not see that coming!) and then the big reveal about Boyd (I didn't see it coming until he returned to the Dollhouse mysteriously). A great cliffhanger ending.

I really enjoyed how it all linked in to previously seen scenes, such as from Epitaph One with Boyd leaving Claire and how all that linked together.

A really full-on episode that does a great job of moving the plot along nicely and tying up some loose ends from other episodes. Really looking forward to the next one. A

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
This episode sure did move at 100mph! Some genuinely shocking scenes, including Bennett's death by Claire's hand (did not see that coming!)
I'm glad you weren't spoiled by this in advanced, I was worried you would be. I think it's such a great scene, remember being really surprised the first time I saw it!

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
OK I'm finally caught up now. Just two episodes left. Yea I really hate the scene when Claire shoots Bennett. And Tophers right there. But I love him telling Ivy to leave. I was super surprised the first time about the reveal of Boyd. The second half of season 2 (after Jane Doe) is really great.

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
It does smack a little bit of "we know we've been cancelled so let's squeeze everything we can into the final part of this season" though.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
It does smack a little bit of "we know we've been cancelled so let's squeeze everything we can into the final part of this season" though.
This is true. I really wish the show hadn't got canceled.

Man, I'm way behind! never gonna catch up now. lol. I do like season 2 better than 1. This is a good episode but I hate what happens to Bennett! I love Topher and Bennett. And I love when Topher tells Ivy to save herself. Topher has been great this season.
I was so shocked the first time I watched the show. out of all the Joss Whedon deaths, this is the one that gets me! Everytime! Lol.
I do like seeing more of Carolines past, but she's kinda a bitca. Just because she thinks she's fighting for a good cause does not give her the right to lie and manipulate people. I wonder if they made Caroline unlikable on purpose hoping it would make Echo more likable.[/QUOTE]

Take it you hate it just because you like their relationship rather than because the scene wasn't well done? To be honest I have mixed feelings. Yes I enjoyed Topher and Bennett together. But I wasn't a big fan of Bennett as a character and I'm not really sure what else they could have done with them as a couple. Its hardly the sort of show where you could have them going out for a milkshake:D

Guess the problem is we see so little of Caroline than it was maybe hard for the writers to really make her that likeable or engaging. I see your point on her being manipulative, but then I do think she cared about Bennett and was just pushing her a bit. I think she was truly trying to give her more confidence as a person.

Really great episode again. The last five or six episodes of this season the show barely puts a foot wrong IMO.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
Take it you hate it just because you like their relationship rather than because the scene wasn't well done? To be honest I have mixed feelings.
the scene was great! Acker is great the setup is great. It's a well done scene, it's because of that, that it sucks me in and gets me an emotional response. That's why I hate it, it gets my hope up and then tears it down! I do love Topher and Bennett as a couple. I like what it meant for Topher more than I actually like Bennett. Topher is great in this episode. It really breaks my heart a little.

the scene was great! Acker is great the setup is great. It's a well done scene, it's because of that, that it sucks me in and gets me an emotional response. That's why I hate it, it gets my hope up and then tears it down! I do love Topher and Bennett as a couple. I like what it meant for Topher more than I actually like Bennett. Topher is great in this episode. It really breaks my heart a little.
That's fair, but I do think it was right decision. Its almost a Jenny or Tara type moment. It breaks your heart (well this one didn't break my heart so much..), but dramatically it makes sense.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
That's fair, but I do think it was right decision. Its almost a Jenny or Tara type moment. It breaks your heart (well this one didn't break my heart so much..), but dramatically it makes sense.
I mean it makes sense, because we can't really have Topher have a happy ending. Topher's journey in season 2 is pretty tragic. It's probably my favorite thing about season 2 and his ending is sad. It is a Jenny type of moment in that she doesn't really have a big impact on the story line and we won't miss her too much. Tara is suppose to be heart breaking. Also this scene reveals something is wrong with Whiskey. And that's sad in it's own way! Bad Whiskey!

I mean it makes sense, because we can't really have Topher have a happy ending. Topher's journey in season 2 is pretty tragic. It's probably my favorite thing about season 2 and his ending is sad. It is a Jenny type of moment in that she doesn't really have a big impact on the story line and we won't miss her too much. Tara is suppose to be heart breaking. Also this scene reveals something is wrong with Whiskey. And that's sad in it's own way! Bad Whiskey!
Well its your opinion that Jenny wouldn't be missed much;)

The Jenny one is closer to this because unlike Tara was a more established character. Their both heart breaking because of the way the relationships were cut off before their primes. The Topher one is maybe a case of what could have been.

On a different note for awhile I thought that Topher and Ivy were going out, even it was just a causal thing. I guess they were just friends.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
Well its your opinion that Jenny wouldn't be missed much;)

The Jenny one is closer to this because unlike Tara was a more established character. Their both heart breaking because of the way the relationships were cut off before their primes. The Topher one is maybe a case of what could have been.

On a different note for awhile I thought that Topher and Ivy were going out, even it was just a causal thing. I guess they were just friends.
Well I miss Jenny, but in terms of the narrative we don't really spend time missing Jenny, she's just mentioned a few times. But after Passion we don't really spend time grieving for Jenny, maybe Giles a little in I Only Have Eyes For You. But yea I just meant because she was a side character.

Yea back in A Spy in the House of Love, Victor (Roger) tells Topher that he thinks Ivy likes him, but that was really the only hint. I don't think Topher every saw her as a romantic love interest. I just love when he tells her to leave. He realizes how terrible this situation is and he wants her to save herself. That whole scene, start to finish is just great. I love it.

Top Bottom