• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Drusilla: Amusingly kooky or annoying as hell?

Drusilla...annoying or entertaining?

• Total voters
Black Thorn
To be perfectly honest, I rather like Dru. You just never know what she's going to say or do. Utterly unpredictable.
However, I've also discovered that I can't take more than ten minutes of her. There's just something that begins to irk me after long term exposure to this psychotic vamp. It's like my world slows down, and all the air disappears...then I'm gasping for breath and clawing at the sky.

Of course, this is just me. How about you?

To be perfectly honest, I rather like Dru. You just never know what she's going to say or do. Utterly unpredictable.
However, I've also discovered that I can't take more than ten minutes of her. There's just something that begins to irk me after long term exposure to this psychotic vamp. It's like my world slows down, and all the air disappears...then I'm gasping for breath and clawing at the sky.

I think the ten minute thing;) May just be that Dru is written very much as a supporting character rather than someone who is going to lead an episode. But to answer the question, I think she's an awesome character. JL does a great job of balancing the performance as a very disturbed, dangerous, sexy woman, but with also great camp, melodrama, and vulanbility. I think she's an underrated character actually. I would watch a Dru spin-off:)

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
I never liked Dru. I don't understand the whole obsession with her that some people have. And I know part of that is because she's almost always tied to Spike's story whenever she's around, and I hate him, so that's probably why Dru rates so low with me. But even when she was in AtS, I just never could manage to stomach her insane ramblings and the way she floated about. It always seemed very false to me, like she was faking the whole thing.

Sineya
However, I've also discovered that I can't take more than ten minutes of her.
Yeah, small dosis of Dru is excellent; but I particularly don't like crazy talk. I loved her when she killed Kendra (not that she killed Kendra, when), because she seemed so sane - a very short scene, but none of the craziness.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I never liked Dru. I don't understand the whole obsession with her that some people have. And I know part of that is because she's almost always tied to Spike's story whenever she's around, and I hate him, so that's probably why Dru rates so low with me. But even when she was in AtS, I just never could manage to stomach her insane ramblings and the way she floated about. It always seemed very false to me, like she was faking the whole thing.
I completely agree. It's sad as the actress is more talented than what she was given. Dru could have been a much better character if they fleshed her out. They instead made and kept her nothing more than a quirky lackey sidekick; first to Spike then to Darla.

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn

I feel pretty much the same way. She is interesting and even funny for a little while, but then pretty tedious.

I didn't like her at all in S7 when she is representing the first. HATED that iteration of Dru.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I preferred Dru in flashback episodes, seeing her with her "family" was good. It would have been good if she'd been given as good an arc in AtS to develop as Darla did.

Drusilla killing Kendra was a very good moment though. Very intimidating and creepy!

I think when she's on screen with Spike they play off each other really well and have some good scenes (certainly don't see her as a sidekick), and there are some strong scenes with Angel too, and like Gwen I love the scene when she kills Kendra. I wish she had more screen time, but that is just down to how much I love the character, I don't think they wasted Dru, and she certainly made the most of the part.

Sineya
Having just watched School Hard today, I like her.
I'll see how this rewatch goes, but I've always liked her. Also loved her return in Angel & Faith... but I'm hoping they'll think about giving her a good dusting scene sometime soon. I just think it's time. And as we've seen with Darla, they can still bring her back via flashback if they want.

AubreezyBaby

Willow Groupie
Omgosh I love drusilla. She's my favorite vampire on the show. (Meaning as a bad guy. Spike and angel I put in the main crew as good guys when I say that) first of all, I think she's funny and adorable at times. I lover her style too. But the reason she's my favorite is cuz of her ability to hypnotize. The fact that she turned kendra, a very kept together type person, on constant guard and control of herself, into a limp noodle in 2 seconds is so incredibly cool. I freakin' love her.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I like Dru, especially when she and Darla appeared in season 2 of AtS :D

Drusilla:Kooky or annoying ?
While Dru was definitely kooky at times, sometimes her voice would irritate me...which would cause me to get annoyed at Dru.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Dru was great in Season 2 of Angel (as I remember) and I always enjoyed her in any of the flashbacks.

I think she's wasted in the A&F comics though. (Hah! Drunk Drusilla would be something to see.)
She needs to be used sparingly and with good reason. Think up a good storyline and then have her show up to cause havoc.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange.
I ♥ Drusilla. Look wise she's perfectly cast as a vampire. Plus the way she played Dru, just adds so much to the character. Kinda surprised haven't seen more of the actress since.

laianna

Potential
She needs to be used sparingly and with good reason. Think up a good storyline and then have her show up to cause havoc.
I agree with this. I think Juliet Landau has a great understanding of her character but I do think at times the writers didn't know what to do with her. She might be just as effective saying nothing as saying something "loony." Sometimes body language speaks for itself.

And indeed I think the airy fairy quality at times wears thin... Drusilla can definitely hold her own and clearly possesses an awareness of the world around her. Recall Kendra's death scene, or Dru's fight with Angel to ensure Darla's vamp rebirth in Ats season 2, her conversation regarding Spike's chip in "Crush," or even that time in BtVS season 2 when Spike remarked that she read about Acathla's tomb in the "morning paper."

Drusilla is loyal, perceptive, and capable of fending for herself as well as operating within a group. She's an entirely original character and I think she's great!:D

Black Thorn
I love her - and with each rewatch I love her more.She lives in her intuition - and she sees things so differently, but the more you see her the more you realize why she is using certain metaphors. Spike does this with archetypes - the goody good guys, the white hats, a kill-or-be-killed demon - and he expects certain behaviors. I wonder sometimes if Spike learned this way of thinking from constantly deciphering Dru.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I like Dru . She may have been crazy but I think that was to protect her self from what had happen & was happing to her .
Would have loved to have seen more of her & Spike together ;)

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I loved Dru. And I especially loved all the flash back stories showing Darla, Dru, Angelus/Angel & Spike. There is always one member of a family who really holds everyone together and for the whirlwind this was Dru. I loved how she called Darla grnadmother and Angelus Daddy but never referred to Spike as her son lol

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
She cared for all of them . And I think the reason she never referred to Spike that way was that was she thought of Spike as her mate for want of a better world.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
She cared for all of them . And I think the reason she never referred to Spike that way was that was she thought of Spike as her mate for want of a better world.
I know, that's what makes it so funny, Angelous is her Daddy, Darla is her Grandmother but her "baby" is her mate.....gotta love vampires lol

Top Bottom