• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Drusilla's Vision of Spuffy

Did Drusilla inadvertently cause Spuffy to happen?

We know Drusilla had a vision of Spike and Buffy together before Spike even knew he was in love with the slayer. However, it was Drusilla rejecting Spike that led to him returning to Sunnydale and getting the chip which then put him on the outer regions of the Scooby gang until he eventually worked his way into the inner circle and into Buffy's affections.

However, in fool for love, we see Spike and Drusilla split where she tells him she sees the slayer all around him and he says he hasn't mentioned her since they left Sunnydale and he didn't know why Drusilla was punishing him.

Did Drusilla make her vision come true because she rejected Spike instead of taking evasive action and keeping Spike close to her and away from Sunnydale?

cryptwarmer
cryptwarmer
great thread!

Athena

Belinda
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think we can safely say she's never been all there. I think she had the vision, and knowing she has the gift; that her vision will come true, that there was probably not a lot of point trying to stop eventuality. Even if she had tried to keep Spike close, his destiny was with the slayer and even with her being several fruit loops short of a full bowl, she knew that resistance was futile. Had she not rejected him, he would have found his way to the slayer regardless.

So no I don't think Dru caused Spuffy, I think Spuffy was going to happen regardless. Dru had no choice but to let him go.

Last edited:
I think that Dru had 'seen', or sensed perhaps, the extent that Spike was drawn to Buffy and felt that it was already between them because of the truce that he had forged to get her out of Sunnydale. But her rejection of him didn't lead into his continuing decisions to stick around Sunnydale after his was chipped, to not leave and try to get the chip removed, so I don't think it can be seen to have led to his awareness of his feelings and his loyalty/commitment to Buffy. It could have just been because she had seen it as inevitable, but as she returns in Crush I don't think she was perhaps completely certain of where it would eventually lead at that earlier stage, even if she did suspect it.

I don't think any evasive action would have been considered because I don't think Dru was interested in changing their relationship dynamic to look to draw his attention away from what she felt was his ongoing, even if subconscious, draw to Buffy, hoping that it waned. Her response to her belief he was too interested was to stray herself reactively and it showed that commitment wasn't something she was going to use to try and keep him close. We see in Destiny that from the start Dru wasn't offering a faithful relationship and her behaviour with Angel when Spike is in the wheelchair seemed to be a continuation of the dynamic they had likely always shared when in a group. But Spike having had a century without Angel in the mix wasn't as tolerant any longer. When Dru then returns in Crush and tries to tempt Spike away it is to look to return to the group again, to rejoin with Darla and Angel. So it is two-fold in that Spike isn't interested in what she is offering any longer, just as he wasn't way back to S2 before his feelings for Buffy really came out, and that is all that Dru is interested in offering him instead.

We see in Destiny that from the start Dru wasn't offering a faithful relationship and her behaviour with Angel when Spike is in the wheelchair seemed to be a continuation of the dynamic they had likely always shared when in a group. But Spike having had a century without Angel in the mix wasn't as tolerant any longer.
I think the whole Angelus/Drusilla thing was just Angelus asserting himself as the dominant male. Even though Darla sired Angel (which you would think would make her the leader of the group since she's the oldest), Angelus took control of the group which could suggest that Vampires are quite patriarchal like lions or gorillas. Either way, the dominant male get their pick of the females, and the non-dominant male gets what the dominant male doesn't want. In terms of the whirlwind, Spike was the non-dominant male and Angelus slept with Drusilla because he knew that Spike loved her and he was doing it just to assert his superiority over Spike.

Spike was even more riled by Angelus carrying on with Drusilla whilst he was in the wheelchair (to the point that Spike allied with the slayer) is because Spike had a century of being the dominant male, having Dru to himself, now suddenly Angelus was back and Spike was knocked off his perch.

Yes I agree, Spike tolerated a status quo as a newly risen vampire that he couldn't stomach later. But Dru was happy with the original dynamics and wanted to return to it, Spike didn't. I was only referencing the whole difference in their attitudes towards the group hierarchy as part of why Dru didn't try to do anything as evasive action, she was never as focused on Spike as he was on her and didn't want to change what she was offering and how she treated him to try and draw him to her more than his attraction to Buffy was drawing him away. As was proven in Crush when all she offered him was a return to a past that he didn't want.

white avenger

white avenger
I do think that Dru could see the dynamic that was forming between Buffy and Spike, just as she certainly saw the same thing between Buffy and Angel, and she probably knew that both "daddy" and "Willie" would eventually choose the Slayer over her. I'm not sure that she specifically new that the Slayer in question would be Buffy, or the place would be Sunnydale, but, obviously, what happened wasn't a total surprise to her. Just because Dru is crazy, it doesn't automatically make her stupid.

Even though Darla sired Angel (which you would think would make her the leader of the group since she's the oldest), Angelus took control of the group which could suggest that Vampires are quite patriarchal like lions or gorillas.
Somewhat off topic, but I always got the idea that Angelus was in charge largely because Darla was stoking his ego, not because of any actual recognition of his superiority. Remember, once he got his soul, Darla didn't have any problem kicking him out of the group, and he only was allowed to return out of her good graces. Darla was the real boss. Angelus was just the muscle and, quite likely, served as a decoy, though probably not aware of the fact himself. Any vampire hunters coming for the group would naturally assume, and initially target, the vampire they only assumed was the leader, leaving the real leader, Darla, the time to react and get safely away, even at the cost of the rest of her family.

I do think that Dru could see the dynamic that was forming between Buffy and Spike, just as she certainly saw the same thing between Buffy and Angel, and she probably knew that both "daddy" and "Willie" would eventually choose the Slayer over her. I'm not sure that she specifically new that the Slayer in question would be Buffy, or the place would be Sunnydale, but, obviously, what happened wasn't a total surprise to her. Just because Dru is crazy, it doesn't automatically make her stupid.
I think the main reason for the Dru/Spike split was so that the writers could have Spike back in Sunnydale and integrate him with the scoobies to fill the position of snarky teammate which would've been difficult with Drusilla in tow. It wasn't until season 5 that Spuffy became a thing.

I do wonder how different the show would've been if the writers had kept Spike and Dru together, back in Sunnydale, but kept Spike chipless and gave Dru the chip instead.

Somewhat off topic, but I always got the idea that Angelus was in charge largely because Darla was stoking his ego, not because of any actual recognition of his superiority. Remember, once he got his soul, Darla didn't have any problem kicking him out of the group, and he only was allowed to return out of her good graces. Darla was the real boss. Angelus was just the muscle and, quite likely, served as a decoy, though probably not aware of the fact himself. Any vampire hunters coming for the group would naturally assume, and initially target, the vampire they only assumed was the leader, leaving the real leader, Darla, the time to react and get safely away, even at the cost of the rest of her family.
I don't know. I could see Darla kicking him out because his soul made him weak and thus a liability (I don't remember that flashback and unfortunately nobody's done a video on youtube of the whirlwind's backstory in chronological order) and Angel would have to give some sort of assurance that he was capable of maintaining control. I don't see why Darla would give Angelus the reins if she was more than capable of doing it herself.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
Dru didn't cause it, clearly Buffy was Spike's destiny. He just didn't know it until he met her. ;)

I also vote that Darla wads the true boss of the fanged four but Angelus was a mighty fine prince consort.

She didn't cause it no. There could be a link drawn. I agree that she maybe sensed that there was something between the two either as early as season 2. By the time it actually happened I think the Dru-Spike relationship was beyond repair.

Top Bottom