1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Eddie from 'The Freshman' should have been Buffy's boyfriend for the season

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Mr Trick, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I won't go into another Riley bashing session (too easy a target for starters;)), but to me if Buffy was looking for a regular but cool guy to date then I think Eddie could have been it. Based on what we see of him, he seems shy and sensitive, has a good sense of humour, has a bit of a nerd factor but not too nerdy, and seemed to have many hidden depths which could have been explored over the season. I certainly think it was a waste to kill his character off after one episode.

Thoughts?

Fuffy Baith: You just like him cause he reminds you of you. lol
    brittles likes this.
  2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I think that it would have been nice, at least for a little while, if Buffy had had some sort of serious relationship with someone who wasn't any sort of a hero/demon fighter type, and this guy could have been fine for the part. Just whether or not everyone tried to keep him unaware of Buffy being the Slayer could have presented some interesting stories. Should he know, or shouldn't he? How would he adjust to having a girlfriend who was basically a superhero?

Of course, the relationship would have had to end badly. We're talking about Joss here, after all, but it could have still been fun for awhile.

Mr Trick likes this.
  3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Maybe it would've been good to have a guy in Buffy's life who didn't instantly find her attractive (Oz and Giles being the odd exception), and could grow to be her friend/buddy first and then something else could develop naturally.
    Eddie had that vibe to him. A normal college guy, a bit nerdy/awkward, but good looking and kinda nice. I actually thought he was funny and clicked with Buffy more than Riley did.
    I would've liked to see that develop, like 'Never Kill A Boy On A First Date' done with a sharper script/story line.

The writers had that, somewhat, with Riley until they blew it by making him secret agent man...but I've come to realize that some people barely noticed Riley until he turned into 'cool military monster fighter' so I could be wrong.

GoSpuffy, Fuffy Baith and Mr Trick like this.
  4. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Well if she knew he would grow up to be Oberyn Martell, she sure as heckfire would have snatched him right up.

:D

Mr. Pole: You are Rain Man! Now I have to go back and watch... but in my mind yeah, I think I remember.
    Blaze: Woah, I never knew it was the same guy, my mind has been blown. Well, someone got kind of hot with age.
    InsectDirigible, Athena, Guy and 4 others like this.
  5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yeah see that is just what I was thinking with Eddie. You've just about nailed it.

That's true about Riley, because its not like they couldn't still have done the initative storyline without him being a member. I think there are bigger problems to his character and relationship with Buffy than that though. The casting just doesn't work in the same way as casting James Van Der beek didn't in DC. Man I seem to be mentioning that show a lot lately!:D

6. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Until he decided to go Mountain climbing.

Blaze: LOL
    thetopher likes this.
  7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Someone needs to fill me in here, having a bit of a dim moment:D I did actually look on IMDB and noticed that the actor has gone on to some pretty big things though.

Buffy Summers: He was on Game of Thrones :)
  8. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I was just about to comment on how I didn't really like Eddie, and then Buffy Summers kindly pointed out that he's one badass mofo.

Buffy Summers: Aw, yeah!
    Mr Trick: Didn't like him? He only had five minutes of screen time the poor bloke, man you're harsh! lol.
    Buffy Summers likes this.
  9. brittles

brittles Scooby

Sineya
    I loved Eddie's character as short lived as it was. I wish we could have gotten to know him more. It seems that he and Buffy got along and could have potentially had some interesting chemistry had it been able to grow at all. Too bad. : (

Mr Trick: Spot-on. But don't worry my fanfic will put that right! ha!
    DeadlyDuo, Mr Trick and GwenRaiden like this.
  10. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I think that actually was supposed to be what happened with Riley. Because at first he was more interested in Willow and didn't really care about Buffy. But yeah, I like Eddie better than Riley from what we saw. He seemed more intellectual.

thetopher and DeadlyDuo like this.
  11. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Eddie was such a sweetheart, and to be honest until recently I had no idea he was the hotness of a young Oberyn Martell.....

Dayum Buffy, you lost out there girl! :D:p

thetopher likes this.
  12. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I dunno, the character seemed a bit clich├ęd, in that 'I'm only going to last one episode' way. Like Sunday. One-shots who need to have their character condensed into a few traits because there's not enough time.

Also, yes, he got better with age. :D

13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Think its always hard to tell when a character only has one episode. To me he did a good job in that episode and there seemed to be enough to suggest a longer run would be possible. But yeah hard to say.

14. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I don't think it's always hard to tell, sometimes it can be blindingly obvious, if it's badly written.

15. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    From the one episode Eddie is in, I can tell he would've been a better boyfriend than mope head Riley (who isn't as bad as I remembered) :p

DeadlyDuo and Mr Trick like this.
  16. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Excatley what I was thinking. Or at the very least he could have been used as season long character like maybe a friend to the Scoobies or something like that.

Fuffy Baith and Smile Time like this.
  17. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Well, personally, I'd rather have Riley. Eddie looked like Owen or Scott or Ford or that asshole from Reptile boy. I mean, Eddie even had a book he couldn't live without like Owen. Riley looked less like the douchebags Buffy usually dates. He was more athletic, boyish and intelligent without being a pseudo-intellectual. Plus, Riley wasn't immediately interested in Buffy. But, idk, it's been a while since I watched S4.

Priceless likes this.
  18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But the difference was Eddie wasn't some pretty boy who happened to have those odd nerdy aspects about him Owen did. He just came off to me like a down to earth and gentle nerd;)

19. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I wouldn't have minded seeing Eddie and Buffy develop a friendship. His death would have been emotional for Buffy if she'd actually spent a few episodes getting to know him rather than one conversation.

Mr Trick and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  20. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

This. It felt like he was used just as part of a MOTW plot just because they needed to shoe horn one into the opening episode. Like you suggest he could have been part of a min-arc at least.