• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Eternity: Happy Pill = Angelus?!

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I never thought it was Angelus. I thought it was all psychosomatic. He felt like he had a happy and expected Angelus to manifest, so he 'became' Angelus.
But would it have made a difference? All they needed was to get the info about the Beast from Angelus. It's what I don't like about that storyline. If the Beast was blocking memories of himself from Angel's brain then Angelus should've been able to access them either - it's the same brain!

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
If the Beast was blocking memories of himself from Angel's brain then Angelus should've been able to access them either - it's the same brain!
Not necessarily. The brain could be different. Not the literal brain mind you, but the way the synapses fire, etc. If you have a dissociative disorder you have the same brain but there are parts of it that are closed off... could easily have been the same way with Angel + Angelus.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Not necessarily. The brain could be different. Not the literal brain mind you, but the way the synapses fire, etc. If you have a dissociative disorder you have the same brain but there are parts of it that are closed off... could easily have been the same way with Angel + Angelus.
But Angel says he remembers everything he did when he was evil, down to the last child he murdered, so if the beast is blocking that particular memory, why should he be expected to suddenly remember it just because he doesn't have his soul anymore? Obviously it was all a manipulation by the Beast to bring forth Angelus, but the gang could've smarter about it, and the writers could've written it better.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
But Angel says he remembers everything he did when he was evil, down to the last child he murdered,
Because he's a little drama-queen. Same way Spike is a little drama-queen. Something about being a vampire I think makes them talk about poetically about crap. He doesn't remember everything Angelus did and said- especially when being compelled by a higher power not to remember. Hell. In Spin The Bottle he didn't remember he was a vampire, so is it really that much of a stretch? I mean, in context to everything else that happened, to believe that the same higher powers that brought him back from a hell dimension where he was for hundreds of years didn't block that, and other, memories? How many times during the course of the show was logic lost.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Because he's a little drama-queen. Same way Spike is a little drama-queen. Something about being a vampire I think makes them talk about poetically about crap.
The guy has an eidedic memory.

In Spin The Bottle he didn't remember he was a vampire, so is it really that much of a stretch?
But that's because they were all reverted back to their 17-year-old selves. His memories were actively removed. If he had lost his soul in that episode the Angelus personality should have also been based on his teenage self.

I mean, in context to everything else that happened, to believe that the same higher powers that brought him back from a hell dimension where he was for hundreds of years didn't block that, and other, memories?
How does that relate to the question of Angelus' access to his memories? If they're blocked, they're blocked. I can understand if Angel himself were to psychologically repress memories that may be too painful or traumatic for him, which would then re-emerge when he has no conscience.But the Beast memory clearly meant nothing to him, so he has no reason to block it out. Besides the memory block was something done to him, so I'm not sure if the dissociative disorder analogy works (not that I know much about psychological disorders)

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
How does that relate to the question of Angelus' access to his memories? If they're blocked, they're blocked.
They were blocked from Angel. Not from Angelus. Angel was the one the PTB brought back, not Angelus. As Angelus was not 'active' they couldn't block it from both halves, only the one half that was active- Angel.

Edit:
This is assuming that Jasmine was the one that sent Angel back to Buffy as the story suggests, so that he may in turn move to LA, impregnant Darla, start a love affair with Cordy only to have Cordy become the love interest of his son so that Jasmine can be born.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
They were blocked from Angel. Not from Angelus. Angel was the one the PTB brought back, not Angelus. As Angelus was not 'active' they couldn't block it from both halves, only the one half that was active- Angel.
That presumes that Angelus is an entirely separate entity just sharing a body with Angel. He is not. Angelus is a combination of the demonic essence, which then works off Liam/Angel's memories and personality and amplifies his negative traits with added murderous drive. Angel is a human soul added back into that mix - his capacity to care, to make moral choices and feel remorse is restored. So their memories are one and the same.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I vote with the Angel acts like a demon when on drugs, just like Men act like beasts when drunk. Of course, transforming actresses into souled Vampires could solve both Angel and Willow's money problems. But Giles would probably frown upon that. Anya and Spike would be on board, of course.

telperion66

Townie
Yeah, to be fair that gets me every time I rewatch this episode - that Angelus was brought out due to "synthetic bliss"..... not really believable and shows a lack of genuine continuity with his true curse in my opinion. The idea that he "performs" as Angelus is not really the thing as I think the writers were trying to say this really is Angelus we are seeing after she spikes his drink. A good episode nonetheless. Worth a rewatch.

Top Bottom