• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Euro 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Quite a few racists on the Mail and Facebook who disagree with you.

Why what did they say? After the tournament England have had there shouldn't be any negativitiy towards the players not least that sort. If they want to offer constructive critcism of things we could have done better then that's their job. But if they make it about race then anybody who reads them should drop the paper straight away.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Rashford cost England the championship by pratting about when it came to taking his penalty. At least the other two were thwarted by Italy's goalie saving their shots, otherwise they would've gone in. Rashford just plain missed.
Rubbish. He wasn't pratting about, he was waiting for the keeper to move. Execution was off which is completely understandable in the circumstances. Blaming individuals in penalty shoot outs is ridiculous.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Terry Butcher and Chris Sutton very strong on England on the radio. Feel Southgate got it wrong and that England were penned back after the first half. Manchini got the best of him tonight no doubt, but then he is the more experienced manager and Southgate has got most things right this summer. I agree with Shearer that it was a strange move bringing Rashford and Sancho on with only a minute of extra time to go. Shearer made a good point that because they barely got a touch on the ball it made it tougher for them to step up and take a pen.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Not with it enough for an analysis but the game got away from England after a brilliant start. Change of shape & personnel needed to happen much earlier in the second half. Spent over an hour chasing shadows.

TriBel

Scooby
Why what did they say?
Italy won because they only have Italians playing for them; "I would not like to be Marcus Rashford on the first day of next season. I really hope he gets it big time. The useless POC" deserves it". References to taking the knee. Rashford's taking a lot of stick for feeding "obese kids". Apparently Rashford and Saka's Instagrams are quite bad. To be fair, Mail readers aren't being very kind to Southgate either. There are some supportive comments but also a lot of nasty comments in general but many are from overseas.
it was a strange move bringing Rashford and Sancho on with only a minute of extra time to go. Shearer made a good point that because they barely got a touch on the ball it made it tougher for them to step up and take a pen.
That's the general feeling on Twitter,

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
I can’t believe that! :(

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah I think against a team with a high press like Italy that three at the back is a dangerous game. Its important to learn from our mistakes. We have to learn from a side like Italy who just find a way to win no matter what. But still a great tournament for England.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
I dont wanna slag Gareth off too much after the last 2 tournaments bur I just wish he wasn't so negative all the time. Starting with 7 defensive plyers and only 2 forward players was a recipe for disaster and his substitutions are always so negative. Sterling and Kane had good tournaments but they both faded as the game went on and yet there was never a chance of Gareth having the courage to take either of them off, and was Saka really the right player to bring on tonight

I really can't do with the cheap jingoism. The Daily Mail leads with "Danes Gelded". Really...I mean really? It might be a reference to Dane's Geld - if so, it's too subtle for BTL commentators. If it's a reference to Kipling's poem it's probably a (very clever) dig at the EU.

Ha we are not the only jingoistic country. After we beat the Danes one of their papers led with the story that we may have lost but at least we don't have to wake up in England tomorrow and die from Covid

@TriBel Yeah but the game lacks true characters on and off the pitch. No matter what you think about Savage when he's on form he's entertaining

I think we are all to blame for current players playing it safe. Whenever a player expresses a halfway controversial opinion the papers slaughter them for it, so any player with a brain makes sure he says nothing in interviews

(I rarely read the DM ATL - heart condition, short fuse etc.).

True Dat :)

Mr Trick

Scooby
Just heard on the radio that a bunch of thugs beat up a couple of Italy fans in the stadum after they scored. Someone filmed it on their phone showed it to the police who did nothing. What a sham. Some England fans have let our big day down more than the result ever could. Lets not let these horrible stories get buried.

TriBel
TriBel
"Disgusting" is trending on Twitter...it's a comment on the racism. If what they've captured is true then I really do despair.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
Just heard on the radio that a bunch of thugs beat up a couple of Italy fans in the stadum after they scored. Someone filmed it on their phone showed it to the police who did nothing. What a sham. Some England fans have let our big day down more than the result ever could. Lets not let these horrible stories get buried.

I can’t really speak for other countries but I think we all know England has a culture that’s very centred on drinking so I think it’s just that mixed with football culture in general being pretty toxic at times.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Heard them on the radio. Seen some online too.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I can’t really speak for other countries but I think we all know England has a culture that’s very centred on drinking so I think it’s just that mixed with football culture in general being pretty toxic at times.

Its partly that but drinking is no excuse for stuff like that. I think Europe in general being quite liberal would have plenty of drinking. By and large people in other countries across Europe and drink know how to behave. But the sort of nasty attack that happened tonight and I'm sure there were other examples goes a bit beyond just being quite aggressive because of drink. I'm hearing more horror stories now. About stewards being abused. I'm not saying most England fans are like this. Its a minority but its terrible.

Bop
Bop
Where are you getting the stories from?

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
My 2 cents is that it seems to me it may have hurt England in the long run to have achieved the lead so early. They changed their style of play after getting that lead. Then after Italy tied it England couldn't get things back into 5th gear and attack mode. That was my impression, although I admit I know far less about football than the rest of you. Sorry you guys lost

TriBel

Scooby
Buffy Summers I can’t believe that! :(

I don't want to but sadly, I can. Some of the tweets have been taken down or deleted but not before people have screen shot them. If the Insta messages left for Rashford and Saka are real then let's just say a string of banana emojis is the most inoffensive I've seen - some of them constitute hate crime. To give the Daily Mail its due, they've started moderating the later articles and more people have come out in support of the lads but elsewhere it's truly horrendous.

Btvs fan

Scooby
My late thoughts : Southgate screwed up the substitutes. He left it to late when bringing on Graelish and left Sancho on the bench (until the end) like why I just don't get it. It was obvious Italy were dominant in the second half.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Italy were the better team over the course of the match. Their 1 & 2 touch passing with the ball gave them a lot of possession inside England's half and their pressing without the ball forced a lot of mistakes.

Southgate deserves a lot of credit for this tournament but has to take some blame for this match. The initial shape worked perfectly with us causing all sorts of problems out wide. After 20 minutes though the Italians figured it out and changes were far too late. For most of the game there simply wasn't a forward pass available.

I've seen Southgates penalty from 25 years ago about a million times this week. That gives you some idea of the ridiculous amount of pressure these players come under. They were also facing a guy 9ft tall with a fantastic record. The players stepping up deserve great credit. Anyone blaming and abusing are them are vile.

The team have done us proud this tournament and have another experience to learn from. The World Cup isn't far away. Always a double edge sword with England. Gutted for the team and everyone I know who would have been so happy to win. However it does mean all the thugs, racists and boo boys lost as well. Vile scum.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Nice no-nonsense, straight to the point analysis, thanks

TriBel

Scooby
They were also facing a guy 9ft tall with a fantastic record.
Didn't he win Player of the Tournament?

It's both sick and sickening. As decent people have pointed out - these lads helped get us to the final. Rashford's mural in Withington was defaced within in an hour. This is a guy who was the youngest person to top the Sunday Times Giving List after raising £20m to tackle food poverty and even that's been held against him. "Get out of my country" to guys born in Manchester and London...do these people have a brain? Even moderated comments are blaming Southgate for "wokefulness" in his choice of penalty takers. That word should be banned. I feel so sorry for genuine fans but I'm so angry that a great tournament for England was marred in this way.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
Didn't he win Player of the Tournament?

It's both sick and sickening. As decent people have pointed out - these lads helped get us to the final. Rashford's mural in Withington was defaced within in an hour. This is a guy who was the youngest person to top the Sunday Times Giving List after raising £20m to tackle food poverty and even that's been held against him. "Get out of my country" to guys born in Manchester and London...do these people have a brain? Even moderated comments are blaming Southgate for "wokefulness" in his choice of penalty takers. That word should be banned. I feel so sorry for genuine fans but I'm so angry that a great tournament for England was marred in this way.

It's weird how racism expresses itself differently in different places. Honestly, I don't think something like that would ever happen anymore (at least nowhere near to that degree) in America in 2021. In some ways we are ahead of the curve but of course in other ways we are the worst. It seems like racism is more prominent in Europe when it comes to sporting events. I'm recalling certain animal noises and gestures I saw/heard in replays of a football game in Italy, directed at an African player. Your last post made me think back 12 years ago or so when the respect theme first became a priority for things like World Cup; when I first noticed that, at the time I thought that it meant more broader social themes but I took it for granted that a major sporting event wouldn't need to stress the message specifically at the fans for the games themselves. I know that sounds strange for me to say, because we have had our own sporting race scandals recently, but the racism takes a different form and is expressed differently, and in different ways. Here in America racism with regards to sporting events is something the majority of fans on the political left or right tend to show more respect for. I mean the fans specifically (and I did say most not all just now). In America you find racism expressed more in an institutional form. Like distribution of tax money for education, or legacies of real estate discrimination for homes that ensure the area is of a desired demographic, and so forth. Racists get loader on topics like this more often, not sports. And by that I mean they get loader in a more public fashion on stuff like that. European racism I'm beginning to appreciate might be a very different thing in some ways.

Last edited:

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Since the tournament is over now, and the thread is well over the limit I'm going to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom