1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Every single Pop-culture reference in 1 place.

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Sweet J, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Sweet J

Sweet J Potential

Sineya
    I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting, but I've made a list of every single pop-culture reference from each episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer(tm), and wish to share it with anyone that's interested.

If I miss any references, or you think some of the entries should be expanded upon then please let me know. Importantly, If you are reading this and asking yourself why this is being posted again, or if you've already read a list as comprehensive as this one, please let me know so I'm not wasting my time duplicating efforts.

Here's the first three episodes:

Welcome to the helmouth.

1. 'James Spader' - Movie star, notable films include 'Crash' in which Fetishes are explored, and he also played the character Daniel in 'Stargate' the movie.
    2. 'John Tesh' - Hosted entertainment tonight, and accused of being an alien.
    3. 'Sears' - a multicorporational company.
    4. 'Neiman Marcus' - A store that sells female clothes and accessories.
    5. 'Time life series' - a popular Time magazine spin off that focussed on a single subject and made an entire book out of it.
    6. 'Falling off a log' - is a cliche, meaning its not hard to do.
    7. 'Watchtower' - A book that claims that Jehovah witnesses are right and Jesus is not the son of God, but only a prophet.
    8. 'Epstein Bar' - A disease that is much like herpes virus, causing glandular fever.
    9. 'Debarge' - A 1980s family band that had a one hit wonder, never were quite as popular as the similar Jackson 5.
    10. 'Baptismal bowl' is a font.
    11. 'The Thing' - A 1982 movie set in Antartica where an alien parasite infects humans.

The Harvest
    1. Wild Bunch - A 1969 western movie, directed by Sam Peckinpah, it was the first film to feature excessive movie violence.

The Witch.
    1. Human torch - (superhero) AKA the android Jim Hammond who had the abilty to burst into flames.
    2. Benson - (inferred to be a world renowned cheerleading coach) - Appears to be ficticious.
    3. Jeepers Creepers - a very scary movie and was also the title to a song.
    4. Mommie dearest - a 1981 movie written by Christina Crawford who was abused by her mother.
    5. Farrah hair - A hair style made famous by Farrah fawcett in the 1970s.
    6. Gidget hair - made famouse by Sandree dee in the 1959 surf movie 'Gidget'.
    7. Last hurrah - a 1956 book about a man's last attempt at running for office.
    8. Garfield and Friends - a cartoon based on the orange cat 'garfield'.
    9. Hocus Pocus - a phrase often used to denote a magic trick or when someone is trying to trick someone else.

So what do you all think, is this worth continuing?

I know some sites mention a few of the pop culture references but I have been unable to find a complete list, so here it is.
    Depending on how well received this is I'll continue.

Skytteflickan88: I love you for doing this.
    Moscow Watcher: I can't believe I missed the mention of The Wild Bunch. A move which has characters "Pike" "Angel" and Gorch brothers!
    Elaienar likes this.
  2. SlayerFest

SlayerFest Wiley Dairy Gnome

Black Thorn
    Yes, I think you should continue. You can find these references for each episode when you search them on wikipedia...but it would be cool if an entire list, with every reference from every episode...could be found in one place.

3. Sweet J

Sweet J Potential

Sineya
    The buffy wikia has a lot of the references, but not them all. For example their entry for 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' lacks mention of many of the pop culture references that I noticed, I list a total of 11, they list a total of 3 and 'The Wild Bunch' is actually a pop culture reference from the next episode 'The Harvest':

* Cordelia mentions James Spader, an American actor best known for his roles in Pretty in Pink, Sex, Lies and Videotape, Mannequin, Crash and Stargate.

* John Tesh, an American television and radio presenter, is also mentioned.

* Buffy mentions DeBarge, a 1980's pop group.

* When storming the Bronze, Buffy references The Wild Bunch, a 1969 Western where all the remaining characters are killed in the final shootout.

buffy.wikia.com/wiki/Welcome_to_the_Hellmouth

4. Sweet J

Sweet J Potential

Sineya
    The complete list of pop culture references.

The remaining pop culture references from season one.

Teachers pet
    • Exorcist twist
    - The famous 360 degree head twist of Linda Blair in the movie 'The Exorcist'
    • Shwarma or Shawarma
    - A meat dish popular in the middle east, it consists of beef, chicken, goat turkey and, sometimes in a pita bread. Similar to a Doner kebab, Shawarma is made by alternately stacking strips of fat and pieces of seasoned meat (beef, lamb or marinated chicken) on a skewer stick"”an onion or tomato is sometimes placed at the top of the stack for additional flavoring. The meat is roasted slowly on all sides as the spit rotates.
    • Monster Island
    - A Pacific island where Godzilla and others are said to reside in japanese monster movies.

Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

• Here endeth the lesson
    - A famous line from the film the ''Untouchables''.
    • Soylent Green
    - the marketting name of food in the future in the Film by the same name. At the end of the film the main protagonist discovers that the food is made out of people.
    • Emily/Elizabeth Dickinson
    - American poet, her poems can be recognised as using elliptical language, emphasizing assonance(repetitious vowel sounds) and Alliteration(repetition of consonant sounds), rather than using rhyme, which is said to reflect her struggles of living a reclusive life.
    • Ben & Jerry's
    - An ice-cream, and an ice-cream bar.
    • Dangerman
    - A 1965 TV series about a secret agent known as John Drake starring Patrick Mc goohan. Unlike the later James Bond films, Danger Man strove for realism, dramatising credible Cold War tensions. Sometimes duty forces him to decisions which lead to good people suffering unfair consequences. Drake doesn't always do what his masters tell him. John Drake, unlike James Bond, never romanced on-screen with any of the women, as McGoohan was determined to create a family-friendly show.
    Alternatively Dangerman could refer to William "Sonny" Leitch, also known as the Saughton Harrier and Danger Man, The renowned safe-breaker Johnny Ramensky, told him that he had stolen a hoard of Nazi loot from the Rome area during the Allied march on Rome in 1944.
    • Charles Dickens
    - Famous 19th century author, amongst other famous works he wrote Oliver Twist.

The Pack
    • Chianti
    - a very expensive red wine made in Chianti an area in Tuscany Italy.
    • Wretched refuse
    - a 90s band famous for producing "modernized" string band music of the 70's.
    • Scully
    - a character in the 90s TV series the X-files, Scully is known for poking holes in her counterparts supernatural explanations for incidents.
    • Yanni
    - is a new age romantic Greek keyboardist.
    Winged monkey's - Servents of the wicked witch of the West in the tale Wizard of Oz.
    • Goodyear
    - a frequent sight flying over american football stadiums, Aerostats/blimps usually display the logo of the tire company Goodyear. Could also be a tire euphemism for fat people.
    • Dode patrol
    - Perhaps it is Toad or Doad patrol, either way its a play on words of the Dome patrol, a hard hitting New Orleans linebacking corps football team.

Angel

• Friar Tuck
    - A Giant, holy man and Quarter staff weilding character in Robin hood.
    • Todd Oldman
    - An eclectic designer that does motion,graphic,clothes,interior and product design.
    • Just say Yes
    - a play on the phrase 'just say no' which rose to prominence in the 1980s as the anti-drug message for the youth, coined by first lady Nancy Reagan.

I Robot... you, Jane.
    The very name of the episode is pop culture reference, a play on the famous Tarzan line ''I tarzan...you jane''. I Robot was also a coomic book series of the 1930s.
    • Bell of the ball
    The centre of attention.
    • Spider Sense
    - The Spiderman character from the comic book of the same name has the ability to sense when danger is looming.
    • Cast a Bone
    - Magic using bones of humans or animals, common in many tribes.
    • With a little help from my friends
    - Is a song by the Beatles featured on the 1967 Sgt Pepper album, the previous line is ''I get back by, with a little help from my friends''.

The Puppet Show
    • The Show must go on
    - ...or we'll have to give the money back. The phrase was made famous as it is both a title to a Pink Floyd song and a Queen song. In the Pink Floyd song of the same name one of the lines is 'Wild eyed in the spotlight, what a nightmare why!
    • Red Rum
    -is Murder spelt backwards, made famous in the movie 'The Shining' starring Jack Nicholson, the phrase was repeated by the character playing Nicholson's son.
    • Kyser Soze'd
    - Villian out of the movie 'The usual suspects' the character deceives the police and the viewers of his real identity throughout the movie.
    • Oedipus
    - A Greek tragedy by Sophocles. A myth where a son kills his father and marries his mother Jocasta, Oedipus does not do this intentionally and when he discovers the truth he pokes out his eyes. perhaps a portent of Xander's eye issue in season 7? Willow plays the high priest Zeus and Buffy plays Jocasta.
    • Duraflame log
    - A long burning machined log
    • Morgan Sé
    - maybe I'm reading into this too much but, Sé is Irish for six and morgan's death was to be the 7th the demon needed, however the demon found that Morgan's brain was inadequate, so the demon was still on his 6th body part and lacked a brain. Furthermore 'Morgan' is a demon spirit in Irish mythology. Where the Writers of this episode tipping their hat at Irish fans, giving them a clue that the demon was still on number 6?

Nightmares
    • Aldo Guiofranco forenza
    - A fictitious tenor, as far as I can tell.
    • Isaacson
    - a prolific author who wrote biographies on Benjamin Franklin and Einstein.

Out of Mind Out of Sight

The title of this episode is a play on the phrase 'Out of sight out of mind' meaning when you don't see something you don't think about it.
    • Helen Keller
    - A blind and deaf woman who learned to communicate via braille.
    • Merchant of Venice
    - A Shakespearean play about Antonio the merchant and Shylock the tax collector.
    • Laura Ashley
    - A designer and multicorporational clothes company, whose female clothes wear is said to be very sophisticated.
    • Crush Kill destroy
    - Is a famouse line from the TV show 'Lost in Space', spoken by the robot.

Prophecy Girl
    • Borg, Locutus
    - The name of Picard when turned into a Borg, the borg being emotionless cyborgs. Picard is a character from the TV show 'Star Trek the Next Generation.
    • Yen
    - Japanese currency...this doesn't explain the sentence in context? from the context it is picked up that it means that buffy is attracted to Angel but as for a direct meaning, I didn't find one.

So that's the first Season done, I'll get around to writing up season 2 in its respective section when I get time. I may have missed some pop culture references, but I challenge anyone to find a better list(it'd save me time typing!)

As ever I would appreciate corrections and comments.

Fredikins: I'm with cait, you should make this into a tumblr :D or some other type of blog
  5. brinkster130

brinkster130 Riley's BFF Staff Member

Sineya
    I enjoy reading through lists like these because I tend to miss things when watching. It's nice to see them all listed together.

6. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    I love this! I've often wondered if anybody made a list like that. I definitely think you should do it for every season. While watching, if anybody thinks of anything else, they should add them.

Sweet J: Please do, a team effort is what is needed!
  7. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Wow, this is totally awesome, I love the pop-culture reference. Quite the job you've done here, please continue if you have the time, I love it :)

8. caitaintdead

caitaintdead caiters gonna cait

Black Thorn
    It's a great list. Have you thought about maybe creating a tumblr for it? I would definitely follow that!

Fredikins: I second that!
  9. Sweet J

Sweet J Potential

Sineya
    Thanks everyone! feel free to pipe in with suggestions on some of the meanings, especially 'Yen' from Prophecy girl.
    Perhaps it is alluding to Ying and Yang? but honestly, I'm guessing.

I know there are some spelling mistakes but I'll fix them in due course.

As for continuing, well I have up to 'Graduation day' completed, all jotted down in a hardback folder. I made this list back in 2004 when I was in Secondary/high school when I had the epitome of free time on my hands. I'll get around to typing up season 2 in its entirety and add them all in the Season 2 section. I just need to type it all out is alls.

I would love help with this, if someone could start with 'The Freshman' and another person took the next episode 'Living Conditions', watched it and just scribbled down all the pop culture references they notice during the episode, that'd be great!
    As I'm also a fan of Angel, the same applies to 'city of'.
    If everyone just took 1 episode and we work together, we'll be finished in no time!

No need to find out the meaning of all the pop culture references yourself, just post them up and all us fans can take care of attaching the explanation.

It's just an idea, as I'm not going to be able to do it myself, plus it can be fun if we all work together.

''If we can stay in focus, keep our heads, and if Willow can stop stepping on everyones cues, I know this will be the best production of 'Death of a Salesman' we've ever done. Good luck everyone! Break a leg!''

Couldn't help myself :p

What motivated me to make this list is that I was finding myself lost a lot of the time, sure you can enjoy the episode without knowing what they're talking about 100% of the time, but it sure helps, and at times, gives a deeper understanding of the characters and appreciation of the writing!

True a lot of the references are no brainers, but then again, not every fan might be in the same boat as me, and vice versa, so I decided to make a complete list.

As for the tumblr suggestion, I really don't have the time to make a page and all. What I was thinking is someday adding all the pop culture references to either the Buffy wikia, or the real wikipedia.

Thanks again everyone for the support!

I'll probably write up Season 2 this coming Saturday morning.

Probably another coincidence but Graduation Day was followed by 'The Freshman'. :-O just kidding.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVOllNHSis&feature=youtube_gdata

10. EvilWillow

EvilWillow Scooby

This is really neat. Can't wait to read some more! :)

11. Sweet J

Sweet J Potential

Sineya
    Oh I missed one, it's not exactly a pop culutre reference though.

In 'the Puppet show' Giles is explaining to Marc that if Marc knew the weight of the Guillotine blade he could work out the velocity of the blade on impact.

This is essentially this: An Atwood Machine, some equations of motion jazz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwood_machine

enjoy, Season 2 is coming soon.

12. JCoatsworth

JCoatsworth UP THE IRONS!

Black Thorn
    Wow, this is cool! Must be a lot of work. Nice!
    Season 6 is gonna be awesome. All those Star Wars references! :)

Sweet J: I've only up to season 3 done, by all means if you feel up to taking an episode or two I'd greatly appreciate it!
  13. This Year's Girl

This Year's Girl Grateful grapefruit

Sineya
    What a great idea! I also think you should start a tumblr, would be great to have a place to visit with easy access to everything. :)

14. Gum Gnome33

Gum Gnome33 "Well, yeah..."

Sineya
    Great idea, thanks so much for posting these!

Re "yen:" The phrase "have a yen" for someone essentially means that you want them/have a crush on them, etc. Basically "yen" is slang for "want." You can say "I have a yen for chocolate cake," etc

15. Sweet J

Sweet J Potential

Sineya
    With your helpful suggestion I found this when I looked up 'have a yen' - it refers to Chinese opium, which was available in Britain and America in the late 1800s. "The phrase comes from the Chinese word yan, which can be translated to craving,"

Ah that makes perfect sense now! Great catch Gum Gnome! this is what I mean by it being much easier, and more fun when it's a team effort

I hope to add all the references to the buffy wikia at some stage in the future, true creating a tumblr would be neat, but I don't have the time for that.

Stay tuned for Season 2 coming soon, and as ever if anyone notices any more references or insights from Season 1, please let me know.