• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Faith Had A Cat?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
In the Graduation Day shared dream Faith has a cat, do you think this was a real cat or just a symbolic one?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Isn't the cat a metaphor for slayers in general? Like in Restless with the surreal shot of Miss Kitty Fantastico (foreshadowing that it is ion fact the First slayer stalking them all). And when Buffy is led by that spirit-puma to her meeting with the First slayer in 'Intervention'.

I'm not sure Faith would own a cat. Firstly she said she always wanted a puppy and secondly she couldn't trust the Mayor around cats in general. :p

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
I've also thought the cat in the dream was about slayers not Faith owning a real one. I've also thought of the weapon full of blood was about the "killer/darkness " side of slayerhood that Buffy will ask herself about later in the show.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I think the cat is supposed to be Faith and not a real cat. Faith would have a dog because they're far more affectionate than cats. Cats are independent like Faith is :)

In the dream Buffy says 'who's gonna take care of him?'
to which Faith replies 'she's a she - and don't these things take care of themselves? isn't that the point?'

Which if we read the cat as a metaphor, this exchange could be very much about Buffy wondering what will happen to Faith now and Faith essentially saying she'll look out for herself, it's what she does. And on a wider level, it also has a bit of the 'slayer isolationist crap' to it - the slayers are the 'things' in Faith's sentence, they take care of themselves - it can be read as a commentary on the condition of being a slayer: the point of them is they look out for themselves and fight until they die and that's what is expected of them. They don't get the luxury of being 'taken care of' - the people in the role of 'taking care of them' (the watchers) are the very people forcing them into this dangerous and lonely life. Faith and all slayers are ultimately alone and ultimately have to take care of themselves, the ability to do that is part of the core nature of the slayer.

The emphasis with which Faith says the cat is a girl also points to it being a slayer metaphor.

I hope she didn't have a real cat because then Buffy's question is valid in a non-metaphorical way. No the cat is not supposed to look after itself, do not abandon a domestic cat and leave it to become a stray - someone go to Faith's, take it to the animal shelter and get it rehomed!

whatdBuffyDo

Potential
Sineya
Spanky
Spanky
I love that banner!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
The cat is a sign of good will for all slayers, remember when Giles played with the Goord tee hee. The cat was there in another form but it was there, and not in an imaginary form. As noted by both slayers seeing the cat, by not showing any sense of fear to it. Even when the Senior Partners captured a cat (Panther?) it chose to help those who had been seen to be a friend to a slayer.
Folk may argue about the kitten starting its life helping friends of the slayer.

Top Bottom