• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Faith Lehane / Alan Finch Murder: Did She Deserve Jail Time?

fauxindigo

Scooby
Does anyone else think that Faith was guilty and should've gone to jail for the murder of Alan Finch? I mean she's obviously guilty but does she really deserve jail time? What if she was remorseful from the start but unwilling to go to jail for it (understandable imo)? Would your opinion change if you knew for sure that Alan was involved in evil doings while working for the mayor? If he was completely innocent, unaware of how evil his boss was and was trying to warn the slayers (doubtful), then Faith would totally be in the wrong.. but what WAS he doing back in that alley? I'd dare say he was more likely up to something evil than good.. Not saying he deserved a stake to the heart and a slow agonizing death but I don't really feel like Faith should've had to go to jail for accidentally staking him, no matter how reckless she may have been..

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Should Faith have gone to jail for Finch? No. Should she have gone to jail for her subsequent actions post-killing? Yes.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I think since we know the context- that Faith was a slayer and in the middle of slaying vampires when the accident happened, she didn't deserve jail for it. The police would see it definitely and wouldn't give her allowance for being a slayer.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Involuntary manslaughter is the worse there. And cops typically get away with innocents caught in their crossfire (though there will at least be the appearance of an inquiry--and just to be clear, sometimes I think they should be, as in if someone jumps at one while they're fighting for their lives against thugs), and in some nations, the people being shot at by police get charged for any collateral damage and friendly fire as well (that is, the vampires would be considered the guilty one in this case rather than Faith). The "heat of moment" when the adrenaline pumping is generally taken into account (which may range from extenuating circumstances to not being charged or convicted.)

Alan Finch kinda leaping out of the shadows while 2 Slayers are killing vampires all around them could also be described as a Darwin Award. That's why in this case I'm all for chalking it up to an unfortunate accident. It's what Faith did later that took her down a dark path (* disposing of a body would be something I'd say she should be charged for rather than an accidental killing under those circumstances). I should add that I did not yet see Faith as a murderer at this point (and I don't think she "deserved" jail at that point).

Many people see a difference between Law (laws and justice system) and Justice (what someone deserves) as others do between Sex and Love, btw. Great when they go together, but more often than not, they don't. Justice ethics has many schools of thought based on very different standards.

Naturally, the fact that the law doesn't even recognize vampires or the shenanigans of the Mayor as even existing complicated the issue mightily. Her age might also be a factor.

Last edited:

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
No, not for the accidental death of Alan Finch. Faith mistook him for a vampire and there was no pre-meditation. Buffy was a more experienced slayer than Faith at that point and realized Alan Finch was not a vampire. Getting rid of the body was a crime though, and everything Faith did then on was too. Faith should have been charged, tried, and if convicted sent to prison for the rest.

Reason: Wanted to change something.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
No. It was clearly an accident that occurred during a combat situation. He was collateral damage. If they did, the Watchers were right to use their connections to cover the crime up.

Top Bottom