• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Faith should have been killed

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
The more I think about it. The more it becomes rational that Buffy should have killed Faith. I do not see a problem of one slayer killing another slayer. In fact, Faith was not that important, and it would have made Buffy a more interesting character if she just killed Faith. Anyway, they could have time to develop a new slayer for Buffy to train to be a good slayer. Faith, really, she is just a dime a dozen.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
I'm of two minds on this one. Faith was never a favorite character of mine, but I have to admit they used her wisely and she was at the center of some of the best episodes on both Buffy and Angel. I think I'd rather she not have been killed. I don't worship at the altar of Faith though.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I'm of two minds on this one. Faith was never a favorite character of mine, but I have to admit they used her wisely and she was at the center of some of the best episodes on both Buffy and Angel. I think I'd rather she not have been killed. I don't worship at the altar of Faith though.
I was of two minds for some time. She became less important when she became a good slayer. If there was a good slayer, and they used her for the full series. it would have worked better.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Since I am drinking again. The more I dislike Faith. I really think it would have been better to have killed her off.

L

Living Dead Boy

Faith is an angel sent from above. 😁🙌

No seriously folks I'm a huge fan of Faith, largely because of her redemption arc. If Faith's arc ended in Graduation Day 2, I would still think she was a great, but very troubled character. But its her appearances afterwards, especially on Angel, that really struck a nerve with me growing up. It showed me that no person is above redemption, and if you really truly try, you could atone and set things on the right course again. But you have to put in time and work, and its a forever kinda deal. I love that message so much, so I'm definitely glad they kept her around.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Faith was a character who was more interesting as a bad girl. True, they reformed her, but Buffy never trusted her fully as a reformed slayer. Buffy almost killed Faith, and no matter how reformed Faith became -- you really cannot fully trust someone you almost killed and was willing to kill. Buffy never told Faith, I am glad we did not kill each other. NO, Buffy should have killed Faith and we would still have time to bring in a different slayer.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I think there's merit in that view. Faith, the Junior Slayer was a fairly valuable piece of real estate, plot wise, the actress clearly had more valuable work elsewhere, and when she was brought back, eh? My guess is, both the Network and the Producers saw spin-off potential, and wanted to keep her alive for that purpose. So, knowing what we know now, kill Faith off instead of dropping her off in jail? I think that whatever new stories that would generate would be worth doing that. But, I can see why the producers would want to keep her alive.

Dora

Scooby
Never really disliked the character of faith , but I just saw her used as another thing to beat Buffy with

TriBel

Scooby
I do not see a problem of one slayer killing another slayer.
Do you see a problem with - I dunno - one person killing another person?
Faith was not that important
I'm not that important (are any of us in the wider scheme of things?). I'm not sure that justifies my murder. My sons may dispute this.
it would have made Buffy a more interesting character
Because Buffy was boring? I'll be honest, she's not my favourite character but I'd hardly call her boring.
they could have time to develop a new slayer for Buffy to train to be a good slayer.
Let me get this straight. You think killing a sister slayer qualifies Buffy to be a trainer of slayers? I see...
Faith, really, she is just a dime a dozen
Technically, no. Technically she's one of two.
you really cannot fully trust someone you almost killed and was willing to kill.
...and I give you Angel and Spike...
The more it becomes rational
Nah...not really.
Since I am drinking again.
Ahh...

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I don't see the reasoning. Faith was a character who was used sparingly and intelligently (26 episodes out of 250+) to illustrate important stories involving both Buffy and Angel. Her character also happens to provide some damn good scenes/episodes on both shows.
So having Buffy just kill her off? To what, show that vengeance is justified? That's never a message that the shows sent (over and over in fact) and would've ultimately been pointless. Faith is there (like Kendra) to show how remarkable Buffy is as a slayer but then developed into a worthwhile character on her own. Having Buffy murder her would've been a waste. I also happen to think that Buffy development as a character is fine enough as it is.

Faith has one of the best arcs in either series, like many other characters who were brought in for one purpose that then evolved into something else; like Cordelia or Wesley or Angel himself. So she's in good company.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
So having Buffy just kill her off? To what, show that vengeance is justified?
Before Faith went super bad, Buffy did use violent against Faith with a simple punch and left it at that. Is that not vengeance and was that not justified when Faith just did nothing. It is clear, the first act of violence between the sister slayers, was done by Buffy. True, I like Faith the most of the series as she is very interesting. It is just that, even when the series came to an end. It just felt natural they would fight again, because both slayers cannot be equal to each other.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Before Faith went super bad, Buffy did use violent against Faith with a simple punch and left it at that.
Before Graduation Day Buffy was content to 'stop' Faith, not kill her. But after Angel she went at her cold-blooded. That's vengeance, and if Buffy had succeeded then one of the basic underpinnings of the shows philosophy is undone. 'Vengeance is bad when Anya or Holtz or Willow or Wood do it but its totz okay when I do it.' says Buffy.

Is that not vengeance and was that not justified when Faith just did nothing.
But the time where Buffy acts violently towards Faith in S3 (and 7) are depicted as wrong-bad, so I don't see the problem. We're not supposed to cheer when Buffy behaves badly, we're meant to see that, for example, Faith hit a nerve or that Buffy is acting out of character. Generally that makes it okay/dramatically interesting rather than problematic.

It just felt natural they would fight again, because both slayers cannot be equal to each other.
The reason why Buffy and Faith didn't get along was nothing to do with them intrinsically being slayers, not really. It was how they both reacted to and used the power they were given; their stuff was deeper and more personal than just 'there's only supposed to be one, maybe we're not supposed to exist together'. Their slayerness was actually the thing that brought them together.

TriBel

Scooby
It just felt natural they would fight again, because both slayers cannot be equal to each other
Why? In what way is it "natural" (and - if it is "natural" - we don't live in nature, we live in culture)? Why would you want to pit two women against each other (arguably, this is what patriarchy does: divide and conquer)? Why can't they be "same but different"? I can understand you not liking Faith but I really don't understand your reasoning.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Are they equal to each other, Buffy has more experience than Faith, they have different methods and techniques. They're different, just because they are both slayers it doesn't mean that they are equals.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
But the time where Buffy acts violently towards Faith in S3 (and 7) are depicted as wrong-bad, so I don't see the problem. We're not supposed to cheer when Buffy behaves badly, we're meant to see that, for example, Faith hit a nerve or that Buffy is acting out of character. Generally that makes it okay/dramatically interesting rather than problematic.

The reason why Buffy and Faith didn't get along was nothing to do with them intrinsically being slayers, not really. It was how they both reacted to and used the power they were given; their stuff was deeper and more personal than just 'there's only supposed to be one, maybe we're not supposed to exist together'. Their slayerness was actually the thing that brought them together.
Sister, is it not clear that Buffy always was fighting her friends from time to time. She was even fighting her sister. Since she was fighting her friends, who were not slayers -- is it not a given that she would have to fight Faith. They both could not be both good, and both being good and fighting to the bitter end. Just me, it would have been more interesting if Faith did win a fight with Buffy. Since that is the way of the university, a fight to the death -- Faith would have to die. They maybe sister slayers, but in this family there can only be one daughter.

TriBel

Scooby
Are they equal to each other, Buffy has more experience than Faith, they have different methods and techniques. They're different, just because they are both slayers it doesn't mean that they are equals.
They're equal in the sense they're both slayers. Their difference is cultural - not biological.

Top Bottom