• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Faith should have been killed

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Are they equal to each other, Buffy has more experience than Faith, they have different methods and techniques. They're different, just because they are both slayers it doesn't mean that they are equals.
Is not the United States and the United Kingdom equal to each other as they are friends and allies to each other? Can I be equal to another woman who is shorter than I am and 30 pounds lighter than me. Do equals debate fighting each other? Yes, they are slayers. Yes, they are required to fight. There problem, they started off debating with themselves, what if it becomes slayer verses slayer. Because they are slayers, they were interested in fighting each other. When your thinking of fighting your friend, your not equals.

nightshade, your from England and I am from America. We have different laws yes. But we would never talk to each other and ask, what would happen if our countries went to war with each other. Would we be equals then?

nightshade
nightshade
Nope, the UK and USA are not equal, they have different laws for people

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
On the topic of equal I am skeptical about it in principle. As a philosophical fine point, equality only exists in the abstract. To be equal ultimately means to be the same, and no two things are the same, anywhere. At best there are indefinite approximations. In my activity in the world I discard grand, big notions like equality in favor of celebrating more gainful and useful social concepts like pluralism.

Sorry, back to topic.

Last edited:

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
It depends on how you view equal. Are you talking equal power, strength, knowledge etc?
If it is equal power and strength, then we understand the writers were going to make Buffy have that power. The only way to prove they are equal or unequal, is to role play that out. If we role play that in a PM, I think we would just being having a cold war were we never really know. I am game sister from England.

On the topic of equal I am skeptical about it in principle. As a philosophical fine point, equality only exists in the abstract. To be equal ultimately means to be the same, and no two things are the same, anywhere. At best there are indefinite approximations. In my activity in the world I discard grand, big notions like equality in favor of celebrating more gainful and useful social concepts like pluralism.

Sorry, back to topic.
Let us say someone from America and someone from England were to talk to each other. They can talk about the difference between the two countries. There are difference, but they have a long and good social bond with each other. They can accept they have the same culture and same background. If they started to talk about a war with there countries. Then your pushing away common friendship and common respect.

TriBel

Scooby
As a philosophical fine point, equality only exists in the abstract. To be equal ultimately means to be the same, and no two things are the same, anywhere.
Which is why I said "same but different". In a sense we live "in the abstract". We don't live in the Real - we live in a symbolised world. Without language (verbal or mathematical - whatever - any system that conveys meaning) everything's the same because you have no way of distinguishing - of establishing difference.
gainful and useful social concepts like pluralism.
I agree.

However slayers can have different gifts, like the dreams and the ability to sense vampires
Don't all Slayers have Slayer dreams and the ability to sense vampires? They have a psychic link to Slayers from the past (Dana shows us this).
what would happen if our countries went to war with each other. Would we be equals then?
Possibly not in terms of weapons etc (but Vietnam springs to mind). And what's "our country"? Nations aren't stable, timeless, entities. It's quite possible the UK won't exist this time next year. The land will still be here - the concept won't.

Let us say someone from America and someone from England were to talk to each other. They can talk about the difference between the two countries. There are difference, but they have a long and good social bond with each other. They can accept they have the same culture and same background. If they started to talk about a war with there countries. Then your pushing away common friendship and common respect.
D'you think? D'you really think a black woman from Mississippi or Baltimore shares the same culture as (for example) Boris Johnson? I'm from the UK - the only thing I have in common with Boris is we're both white.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
D'you think? D'you really think a black woman from Mississippi or Baltimore shares the same culture as (for example) Boris Johnson? I'm from the UK - the only thing I have in common with Boris is we're both white.
Since 50% of all native born Americans will be born and die less than 50 miles from both places. A American in Texas and a American in Vermont really does not share the same culture. They fly the same American flag, but they are do not understand that the American flag has its origin as a flag of the British East India Company. The American flag with 50 stars, its real identity is British.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
And what does this have to do with Faith, let's keep to the topic.

(Yes, I posted off topic too, so we all need to get back to faith)

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I think that Buffy and Faith cannot work as equals. It is in their nature to fight each other to the bitter end. Faith in the end decided to be the passive slayer to Buffy, even that she is taller and stronger than Buffy. Without the consent of the writers, Faith should be able to kill Buffy but it would be a long and bitter fight. Still, with the consent of the writers, Buffy should kill Faith.

TriBel

Scooby
Since 50% of all native born Americans will be born and die less than 50 miles from both places. A American in Texas and a American in Vermont really does not share the same culture. They fly the same American flag, but they are do not understand that the American flag has its origin as a flag of the British East India Company. The American flag with 50 stars, its real identity is British.
I really don't understand the point you're making. To take it back to your OP, you seem to be of the opinion that Faith should be killed in order to make Buffy "top dog". My response would be - why? Why does Buffy need to be "top dog"? Can't it be that their sameness (they're both slayers) makes them stronger together while their difference makes them more interesting? Why do they need to battle it out?
It is in their nature to fight each other to the bitter end.
Why? What are they competing over? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of natural resources - it's not as though one will starve if she doesn't kill the other. Let's presume you're right and it's "in their nature". Is it in everyone's nature? Is nature really "red in tooth and claw"? If that's the case, don't we need - more than ever - a social compact (I think Huxley made a similar point after "Origins")? Sorry...if that's the "nature" of Slayers and they can't rise above it, I'll take my chance with vampires.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I really don't understand the point you're making. To take it back to your OP, you seem to be of the opinion that Faith should be killed in order to make Buffy "top dog". My response would be - why? Why does Buffy need to be "top dog"? Can't it be that their sameness (they're both slayers) makes them stronger together while their difference makes them more interesting? Why do they need to battle it out?
Why? What are they competing over? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of natural resources - it's not as though one will starve if she doesn't kill the other. Let's presume you're right and it's "in their nature". Is it in everyone's nature? Is nature really "red in tooth and claw"? If that's the case, don't we need - more than ever - a social compact (I think Huxley made a similar point after "Origins")? Sorry...if that's the "nature" of Slayers and they can't rise above it, I'll take my chance with vampires.
It is just strange, that Buffy being a slayer, ended up fighting her sister slayers -- in real fights or verbal fights to prove she is the stronger slayer. The first one, she even bragged that she was the stronger slayer. Yes, vampires will fight each other to the death. Still, they were more working together more often then fighting. When we watch youtube of Buffy and Faith, is it not clear the primary youtube postings have them fighting. I do not see Faith wanting to fight Buffy at the start of their relationship. Faith was punched by Buffy, and Faith backed down. Buffy was the one that started the violence. Faith was just pushed more and more to be the bad girl. I think it would have been more interesting if they were always the good girls. Just my feeling, Faith had to become the bad girl so Buffy could fight her with the support of the fans.

Top Bottom