• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Fanatic of a character

sarajane

Townie
Do you know anyone who is a fanatic of a character? They will defend this character at all costs. For example Spike offers the most suitable example. In contrast with me who think Spike should have been staked. All my friends defend Spike. Aside from Spike do you know anyone who is a fanatic of a character that they will defend them at all costs?

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
That depends on a lot. It's easy to paint someone a fanatic just because they don't agree with your opinion, like the example you gave; I would defend Spike, but not for every single thing he ever did. I don't think that makes me a fanatic.

There are instances of toxic fandom, though, when someone refuses to see their favorite character in a negative light. I'll never understand that, personally, since flaws are what make me love a character more. The worst example of fanaticism in the Buffyverse I've ever seen was a Buffy fanatic (the character) who was absolutely incapable of admitting flaws in Buffy Summers; everything was someone else's fault. You can't argue with those people, because they only see their own delusions, imo.

sarajane

Townie
That depends on a lot. It's easy to paint someone a fanatic just because they don't agree with your opinion, like the example you gave; I would defend Spike, but not for every single thing he ever did. I don't think that makes me a fanatic.

There are instances of toxic fandom, though, when someone refuses to see their favorite character in a negative light. I'll never understand that, personally, since flaws are what make me love a character more. The worst example of fanaticism in the Buffyverse I've ever seen was a Buffy fanatic (the character) who was absolutely incapable of admitting flaws in Buffy Summers; everything was someone else's fault. You can't argue with those people, because they only see their own delusions, imo.

Buffy is my favorite character but this has never prevented me from remaining objective. What are their arguments to defend Buffy? Buffy is a role model most of the time but she isn't always perfect.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Buffy is my favorite character but this has never prevented me from remaining objective. What are their arguments to defend Buffy? Buffy is a role model most of the time but she isn't always perfect.
They can barely even be called arguments, but it's basically just someone who will find a way to blame someone else for things just so Buffy can remain an innocent, pure being of light that could never, ever be capable of bad. Faith manipulates her in Bad Girls, Spike is the big bad wolf who forces her into a relationship that is only abusive from his side, Angel is just a pedophile who groomed her, Joyce is a horrible mother who just wants to see the worst in her daughter, the list goes on and on; you can't imagine the number of times I've had to swallow my words just so I wouldn't get ugly with them :)

KaitKat

Potential
I’ve read some people treat Faith and Xander that way in fan fiction but on this board I honestly think the worst examples are of Buffy and Spike. Their are just some people that no matter what they do will defend them and call any character who criticizes them cruel. I personally think every single character in the Buffyverse is deeply flawed that’s part of why I love them.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I’ve read some people treat Faith and Xander that way in fan fiction.
I honestly totally understand that. Considering how the majority of the fandom treat those two (especially Xander), I can imagine that someone who loves them wishes to escape into a fanfic world where they get to be appreciated. It has created a trope within Buffy fandom, though, the 'SuperXander' stories or 'FaithSavestheDay' stories and they can get tiring after a while. But I get why some would want to write it for certain characters.

KaitKat

Potential
I honestly totally understand that. Considering how the majority of the fandom treat those two (especially Xander), I can imagine that someone who loves them wishes to escape into a fanfic world where they get to be appreciated. It has created a trope within Buffy fandom, though, the 'SuperXander' stories or 'FaithSavestheDay' stories and they can get tiring after a while. But I get why some would want to write it for certain characters.

I agree that those two characters aren’t always treated fairly in cannon but I would so much rather read a story where they get to shine or save the day with their flaws/insecurities.

Puppet
Puppet
Agreed.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I’ve read some people treat Faith and Xander that way in fan fiction but on this board I honestly think the worst examples are of Buffy and Spike. Their are just some people that no matter what they do will defend them and call any character who criticizes them cruel. I personally think every single character in the Buffyverse is deeply flawed that’s part of why I love them.
I think that's a thing for every character in fanfiction because it's ultimately wish fulfillment and that's fine because it's up to the writer. It's far more frustrating when people talk about the actual canon of the show in such a biased light.

I just think everything that tends to be said is not really 100% true for any character- like having flaws and being 'relatable' does not guarantee that a character is a good character necessarily although those things are good.

But as far as fanatics, I would have to say the ones I see most often are Spike fanatics, I just think there's a lot of passion and defensiveness and what's unique is that I've found Spike fans are not even on the same page with each other a lot of the time. Maybe not the same book. So it gets so, so messy.

KaitKat

Potential
I think that's a thing for every character in fanfiction because it's ultimately wish fulfillment and that's fine because it's up to the writer. It's far more frustrating when people talk about the actual canon of the show in such a biased light.

I just think everything that tends to be said is not really 100% true for any character- like having flaws and being 'relatable' does not guarantee that a character is a good character necessarily although those things are good.

But as far as fanatics, I would have to say the ones I see most often are Spike fanatics, I just think there's a lot of passion and defensiveness and what's unique is that I've found Spike fans are not even on the same page with each other a lot of the time. Maybe not the same book. So it gets so, so messy.

I agree, about the fan fiction though I’m picky enough about fan fiction that I won’t read Spike fanfics if Buffy is also a main character, he’s a better character when she’s not around. Most of the time
I love to see characters that don’t get to shine in cannon shine like Faith or Xander for example but their are a couple authors that have attempted to make them so God like that they aren’t even the characters we know and love.

I do agree that it’s far more frustrating when people treat actual cannon that way. Buffy and Spike are the worst examples I think. I get that Buffy has been through a lot and so we are protective of her but the character is flawed and not just in a depressed she needs to believe in herself kind of way she makes some really awful choices and does some awful things and there are people that will rip apart every character that mentions these flaws or bad choices and act as though they are cruel. Buffy lies someone points out she’s not trustworthy or lacks respect, suddenly they are cruel, Buffy kicks someone out of their house, but Buffy’s sad and probably just saved them. It’s almost as though they think everyone is out to get Buffy which just isn’t true. I honestly can’t figure out what the issue is with Spike but egh.

Last edited:
Bop
Bop
Yeah I think it should be known that Buffy makes mistakes and not in a way that simply makes her human/relatable but just in a way that it's an actual flaw.

Priceless

Scooby
I think there are plenty of 'fanatics' on this site, and most other fan sites I bet. We all find excuses for our favourites and can rationalise the evil they do and find ways to forgive them for it. That's what being a fan is, to love something flaws and all and protect it from those who don't love it as much.

I think Spuffy/Spike fans are mostly accused of being fanatical, but that's because we are the majority (not necessarily on this forum, but in the wider fandom) so it's understandable.

sarajane

Townie
Does being a fanatic of a character the same as being a toxic fan?

Puppet
Puppet
In my experience, yes - but there are always exceptions to every rule, of course

Faded90

Scooby
I don’t see it as a major issue, when we have a favourite we tend to see the show from their perspective and can usually at least understand why they did what they did. I don’t think that’s a bad thing mostly, when you understand a characters motivations it’s hard not to jump into a debate with a ‘actually I understood where they were coming from’ even if you don’t necessarily agree with it

I have more issue with the ‘woobifying’ of certain characters. Characters that are regarded as misunderstood and it’s therefore everyone else’s fault they do things. I have no issue with justifying someone’s actions but not completely absolving them of responsibility. We see this often in the belief that the core 4 are supposed to just accept being treat and spoken to like garbage because the person doing it is ‘Misunderstood’. I get annoyed when we see ‘the scoobies are horrible to Spike!’ When every second word Spike says to them is an insult. Because the scoobies are just supposed to be doormats to everyone regardless to how they’re being treat. That’s my main issue

sarajane

Townie
I don’t see it as a major issue, when we have a favourite we tend to see the show from their perspective and can usually at least understand why they did what they did. I don’t think that’s a bad thing mostly, when you understand a characters motivations it’s hard not to jump into a debate with a ‘actually I understood where they were coming from’ even if you don’t necessarily agree with it

I have more issue with the ‘woobifying’ of certain characters. Characters that are regarded as misunderstood and it’s therefore everyone else’s fault they do things. I have no issue with justifying someone’s actions but not completely absolving them of responsibility. We see this often in the belief that the core 4 are supposed to just accept being treat and spoken to like garbage because the person doing it is ‘Misunderstood’. I get annoyed when we see ‘the scoobies are horrible to Spike!’ When every second word Spike says to them is an insult. Because the scoobies are just supposed to be doormats to everyone regardless to how they’re being treat. That’s my main issue

All my friends are Spike's apologists. Everything he does and says? It's Buffy's fault. He is a predator who preys on the girl's depression and trauma. Outside of Spike, are there other characters who have fanatics?
Post automatically merged:

They can barely even be called arguments, but it's basically just someone who will find a way to blame someone else for things just so Buffy can remain an innocent, pure being of light that could never, ever be capable of bad. Faith manipulates her in Bad Girls, Spike is the big bad wolf who forces her into a relationship that is only abusive from his side, Angel is just a pedophile who groomed her, Joyce is a horrible mother who just wants to see the worst in her daughter, the list goes on and on; you can't imagine the number of times I've had to swallow my words just so I wouldn't get ugly with them :)

Buffy is my favorite character. I want to convince myself of my objectivity but I am of those who will always be in the team of Buffy.

Based on most of the answers here, Spike appears to the only character who has the most fanatics. How do they contradict themselves among them? Is Spike the only character who has fanatics?

Last edited by a moderator:
KaitKat
KaitKat
It’s both of their fault. This is coming from someone who doesn’t like Spike in Season 6/7. Buffy’s not a victim but his poor choices aren’t her fault nor is the reverse true.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
All my friends are Spike's apologists. Everything he does and says? It's Buffy's fault. He is a predator who preys on the girl's depression and trauma. Outside of Spike, are there other characters who have fanatics?
Well I am definitely someone who likes to defend Buffy's choices in season 6.
While I'll accept Buffy chose to be with Spike, and for very wrong reasons, I think acknowledging her depression - which obviously impairs her decision making skills- is completely fair. Not to mention at least Buffy engaged with Spike knowing that Spike was into her, or even in love with her. She did take advantage of that in a sense but it's better than Spike in season 5 who chained Buffy up, antagonised her boyfriend and made a sex doll replica of her when Spike had no real proof or reason to think Buffy was into him romantically/sexually. I think the first arguable 'proof' Spike had that Buffy could potentially be into him is her thank you kiss at the end of Intervention- again that's after the sexbot and other things that Spike did without real indication that Buffy could be into him.
And even to say Buffy took advantage of Spike is kind of only half true. Buffy never made out that she loved Spike or that she was going to treat him like a real boyfriend in season 6, she was pretty open about their relationship being very sex based. So it's not really taking advantage of someone when you clearly lay out your intentions like Buffy did with Spike. At the same time, of course having sex with a soulless demon who you know claims to be in love with you is playing with fire and a bad decision. But overall again factoring in the depression I can't really blame Buffy too much for the bad decision, she's really messed up and traumatised. We can't really expect good decisions. But that's what I think because I get why Buffy acted how she did in season 6.

sarajane

Townie

Why does everyone loves Spike? Is Spike the only character who has fanatics?

Characters with no faults are bland. I choose my favorite characters based on how I can relate to them. For example I relate much with Buffy. It surprises me that Spike has fanatics outside of my group of friends.

I think there are plenty of 'fanatics' on this site, and most other fan sites I bet. We all find excuses for our favourites and can rationalise the evil they do and find ways to forgive them for it. That's what being a fan is, to love something flaws and all and protect it from those who don't love it as much.

I think Spuffy/Spike fans are mostly accused of being fanatical, but that's because we are the majority (not necessarily on this forum, but in the wider fandom) so it's understandable.

How are Spike's fans the majority when the series is about Buffy the character?

KaitKat
KaitKat
I think it’s the bad boy who’s only good for one girl trope. I personally think Spike was more interesting before he fell in love with Buffy. He was likable the same way Crowley on Supernatural was.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
Why does everyone loves Spike? Is Spike the only character who has fanatics?

A lot of other characters are popular but Spike's fans fit the fanatic title more.

Like Angel and Willow have a lot of fans but their fans seem to mind their own business a lot more from what I've experienced.

Then again I am an Angel fan. Willow's in my top ten but I don't talk about her a lot so wouldn't call myself a big fan.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I think this is unfair. Spike fans aren't any more fanatical than any other fan, it's just that you are not a Spike fan. I've found the Fuffy fans on this board to be highly fanatical. It's all about perspective.

Well I would say there are certain characters like Spike, Buffy and Faith who do tend to have more fanatical fans than others. And I would say mostly Spike.

It may be because I love Buffy and Faith and I don't love Spike, but then again I love Angel and I still wouldn't say his fans are fanatical. So I do think certain characters create more fanatical fans.

I mean, I've never seen a fanatical Giles fan in all my time in this fandom.

Priceless

Scooby
Well I would say there are certain characters like Spike, Buffy and Faith who do tend to have more fanatical fans than others. And I would say mostly Spike.

It may be because I love Buffy and Faith and I don't love Spike, but then again I love Angel and I still wouldn't say his fans are fanatical. So I do think certain characters create more fanatical fans.

I mean, I've never seen a fanatical Giles fan in all my time in this fandom.
So you love Buffy, Faith and Angel and in your view their fans aren't fanatical. To me this is bias.

Giles is beloved by most fans, there is little difference between Faith, Angel or Spike fans as to their level of love for Giles.

Faded90

Scooby
I think a lot of why it SEEMS like certain characters have more ‘fanatical’ fans is mostly because they’re the most discussed characters. I’d say Buffy, Faith and Spike are the ones getting the most threads, they’re the ones with the most noticeable flaws and are highly fallible characters. I don’t think it’s wrong to justify your favourites actions. I wholeheartedly admit I could I could probably justify 99.9% of Buffy’s actions but I wouldn’t call myself fanatical, I just find it difficult to not see her POV 😂 it’s just how I watch the show. I acknowledge she’s got some major flaws - I just feel like I can understand them that’s all

Like I said in another post I don’t see anything wrong with justifying or defending your characters more ‘wrong’ actions if you feel you can understand it. I just don’t like the woobifying. On another board I’ve actually noticed a Xander fan who does this and considers Anya to be the one in the wrong in Hells Bells and that she broke up the relationship because she cheated on him with Spike. So I imagine all characters have a couple of fanatical fans. It’s mostly just relative to how much the character gets discussed

Top Bottom