• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Fanfic -The Great Bangel/Spuffy Fic Swap

wickedwillow

Potential
are the stories on fanfiction or Archive of our own, or some mysterious secret place which only hardcore buffy fans know about? Would love to join in, although I'll probably be weeks behind everyone else as I've got a massive pile of books I'm supposed to be reading, although none of them involve vampires so I can easily be lured away :)

Mylie

Scooby
No way I'll read a spuffy fanfic given that I don't even have time to read fics about my favorite ships, but this makes me realize that maybe it is time I read Pheonix Burning. I've heard a lot of good things about it and it seems to be the bangel classic of fanfiction.

Priceless

Scooby
Who got to pick those ? The word count of the bangle fic is ten times as large as the word count of Being Somebody Else. To make it a fair game, @Grace and @dcai0830 have to read another nine (!) Spuffy fics ;)

I thought 5 chapters was enough if you absolutely hate a ship :) I think the Bangels wanted to punish us ;)
are the stories on fanfiction or Archive of our own, or some mysterious secret place which only hardcore buffy fans know about? Would love to join in, although I'll probably be weeks behind everyone else as I've got a massive pile of books I'm supposed to be reading, although none of them involve vampires so I can easily be lured away :)

The Spuffy fic is on Elysian Fields. You can read most fics on there without joining. The Bangel fic is on Archive of Our Own. There's no time limit, we all take it at our own speed. The Bangel fic might take me weeks to read, although the chapters are quite short.

No way I'll read a spuffy fanfic given that I don't even have time to read fics about my favorite ships, but this makes me realize that maybe it is time I read Pheonix Burning. I've heard a lot of good things about it and it seems to be the bangel classic of fanfiction.

The Spuffy fic is 5 short chapters, you could probably read it in an afternoon. But you can join in with the Bangel fic; everyone says it's their favourite

Mylie

Scooby
The Spuffy fic is 5 short chapters, you could probably read it in an afternoon. But you can join in with the Bangel fic; everyone says it's their favourite

I will consider it if it's that short. I'll just feel weird about reading a spuffy fic when I have read only like 3 bangel fics in my life lol

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn

Here is "Being Somebody Else"

Here is "Phoenix Burning"

Both on AO3. Please note the ratings. Phoenix Burning is marked M for mature. I don't want to corrupt any youngsters!

I will consider it if it's that short. I'll just feel weird about reading a spuffy fic when I have read only like 3 bangel fics in my life lol
If you never ever read another fan fic in your life you must read Yahtzee's. Actually I'm going to start a thread for fan fiction discussion like we had previously discussed on our bangel section. I'll post it later tonight. :)

Priceless

Scooby
Well I've read the first two chapters and am enjoying it. I like that there weren't pages of build-up and we get straight into the story. The idea of Buffy in the future is fun and I'm looking forward to seeing how the world has changed. Yahtzee as pretty much captured Buffy's voice and it's always a big plus in any fic if Buffy sounds like herself :)

If I had to be critical I would say that Buffys reaction to her public nudity was a bit ooc, I thought she'd be more embarrassed an want to cover up. I also thought it was odd that Dawn wasn't the first person she thought of when she thought of all the people that she loved who would be dead by now. But these are minor issues and I'm enjoying it so far.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I've read the first two chapters of Being Somebody Else and it's good so far! I like the setting, since Angel being in hell makes that whole question easier to deal with. ;)

I really liked these two bits of Buffy voice:
...but as my mother would no doubt say if she saw me, “You’ve made your bed, now lie in it.” I’ve never totally understood what that means – why bother making the bed if you’re just gonna get back in it? – but I don’t think that’s the point. The point is, Mom’s not here, nobody’s here, and it was my choice, so I’m walking home alone.

Realization dawns on her face, and I can see her drawing the conclusion: ex-boyfriend. Not quite true, but “mortal enemy I once teamed up with to kill my ex-boyfriend” just doesn’t have the right ring to it, so I let her think what she wants.

I was a little skeptical of the idea of Spike continuing to help Buffy at this point in the timeline, but Eowyn315 did a good job of selling it, and now they're at each other's throats, so it seems like the development will be good. I was really surprised to see that Chapter 3 will be in Spike's voice, since I was expecting to stay with Buffy the whole way through. Should be interesting!

Priceless

Scooby
Finsished chapeter 6. Liked Buffy's walk through dystopian London, Yahtzee captured the atmosphere really well. Smiled at the thought of Buffy having visited London before, and spent a lot of time writing bad poetry. It was a nice touch, especially for 'action girl' Buffy :) I also thought it was totally realistic that it took Buffy a long time to actually think of Faith and admit she didn't feel badly that Faith had died. It felt totally in character, with everyting Faith had done to Buffy upto S5, for her not to care about her at all.

When I read Spuffy fanfic, if the characters haven't got together within the first few chapters, even as enemies battling each other, then I am disappointed. So far Bangel have only spoken to each other for a few moments in this fic, does that bother any of the Bangels? Do they want more Bangel?

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
First of all.

latest

I have finished the Spuffy fic! Overall I gotta say @Priceless that you took it very easy on us! The fic still respected Bangel, I liked that Buffy was able to open up to Spike and tell him that despite all Angel had done she still missed him. There were things I really disliked and really liked in the fic. I really dislike Spike on the verge of killing Buffy and then being invited in to her apt, this is Spike with no chip I feel like Buffy would know better, not a big fan of the final scene with Spike killing a girl while he kinda runs Casablanca for me lol. I did very much like the conversations between Spike and Buffy. I felt the writer got Spike right in the sense that he has always been very in tune with how people are feeling and that is no different here. He can see that Buffy has lost her will to fight and I like his "get over it" attitude. Telling her not to live the lifetime movie. Lol. Despite my Bangel affiliation I have always thought that Spike makes a good friend to both Buffy and Angel. They both need need some sense slapped into them from time to time! Thank you for the recommendation. It makes me less fearful of Spuffy fics in the future. Not like I'm going to sign up for Elysian Fields or anything but maybe I won't run away screaming if i come across a fic.

When I read Spuffy fanfic, if the characters haven't got together within the first few chapters, even as enemies battling each other, then I am disappointed. So far Bangel have only spoken to each other for a few moments in this fic, does that bother any of the Bangels? Do they want more Bangel?

It's funny but I remember my first read if that fic after a while I flipped back to the title page to verify that it was Buffy/Angel. I'm perfectly happy with the amount if Bangel because the story is about more than them but what it has leaves me very content. But at first read I just had to trust that the Bangel was coming. Glad you are enjoying it!

Last edited:

flow

Scooby
What annoys me most about Spuffy fics is, that a lot of them are bashing Angel. I have often been on the brink of throwing my laptop against the wall. I just don`t see the reason for doing it. I am obviously not a Bangel but Angel is a very complex and interesting character and he is of great importance to the Show and to Buffys decelopement. And you actually diminish Buffy if you bash someone whom she was truly and deeply in love with.

What I would like to know, is, how Bangel fics deal with Spike and/or Spuffy. Does Spike appear as a character at all ? Does he get a lot of bashing ? Is Buffys relationship with Spike ever mentioned ? Or did it never happen in Bangel fics ? Are there Bangel fics with a likeable Spike in it ? If I would know before, I might someday brace myself to read one instead of avoiding them like holy water.

flow

Priceless

Scooby
First of all.

latest

I have finished the Spuffy fic! Overall I gotta say @Priceless that you took it very easy on us! The fic still respected Bangel, I liked that Buffy was able to open up to Spike and tell him that despite all Angel had done she still missed him. There were things I really disliked and really liked in the fic. I really dislike Spike on the verge of killing Buffy and then being invited in to her apt, this is Spike with no chip I feel like Buffy would know better, not a big fan of the final scene with Spike killing a girl while he kinda runs Casablanca for me lol. I did very much like the conversations between Spike and Buffy. I felt the writer got Spike right in the sense that he has always been very in tune with how people are feeling and that is no different here. He can see that Buffy has lost her will to fight and I like his "get over it" attitude. Telling her not to live the lifetime movie. Lol. Despite my Bangel affiliation I have always thought that Spike makes a good friend to both Buffy and Angel. They both need need some sense slapped into them from time to time! Thank you for the recommendation. It makes me less fearful of Spuffy fics in the future. Not like I'm going to sign up for Elysian Fields or anything but maybe I won't run away screaming if i come across a fic.

It's funny but I remember my first read if that fic after a while I flipped back to the title page to verify that it was Buffy/Angel. I'm perfectly happy with the amount if Bangel because the story is about more than them but what it has leaves me very content. But at first read I just had to trust that the Bangel was coming. Glad you are enjoying it!

Glad you finished it and didn't find it too horrific :) I picked it because there's no actual Spuffy love in it, but Spike does help Buffy work through her feelings and there is a definite connection there. I could have recommend some with a lot more Spuffy content, but I'm not sure you'd have finished it.

I am enjoying Phoenix Rising. I liked Angel trying to remember what happened to Dawn and the scoobies. It's been an easy read so far becasue there's very little Bangel . . . not sure how I'll feel when it happens

What I would like to know, is, how Bangel fics deal with Spike and/or Spuffy. Does Spike appear as a character at all ? Does he get a lot of bashing ? Is Buffys relationship with Spike ever mentioned ? Or did it never happen in Bangel fics ? Are there Bangel fics with a likeable Spike in it ? If I would know before, I might someday brace myself to read one instead of avoiding them like holy water.

I'm upto Chapter 8 in Phoenix Rising and so far Spike has been mentioned twice in passing, nothing either negative or positive has been said about him.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn

As you might imagine - it varies greatly across the board. As @Priceless says I don't remember Spike being mentioned too much in Phoenix Burning the reason is that this fic assumes that Buffy dies in Season 5 and isn't resurrected that means the Spuffy Season 6/7 stuff never happened. So if a fic is set in Season 4/5 then Spuffy is largely not present. I have probably read close to a hundred fics (or maybe more who knows) and I will say that generally speaking I come across a LOT of Riley bashing and Cordy bashing but I don't see as much Spuffy bashing (not to say it doesn't exist).

As you would imagine Spuffy issues are addressed to a greater extent in post NFA fics. The good fic writers give respect to the feelings that Buffy had for Spike but because they are Bangel centric fics the feelings are explained away as not reaching the level of intensity of the feelings she has for Angel. Sometimes Spike is the one who tells Buffy that regardless of how she feels for him her heart is still with Angel and he steps aside so she can be happy.

And then some other fics have Spike paired up with other people to avoid the awkwardness.

Phoenix Burning is not your typical Bangel fic. Most Bangel fics focus greatly on the relationship of Buffy/Angel and the story is molded around that. I am writing a fic right now where the focus is the relationship and the plot is secondary to moving the story along. Yahtzee doesn't do that. She has a great story and the story happens to have some great Bangel. So I guess I do want you guys to know to know that this is not typical.

If you like Yahtzee's writing, I recommend "As Time Goes By." This is the fic I was telling you @Priceless is Cangel and made me want to pull my hair out because it was so tough to read as a Bangel but it was so wonderfully written. Spike is not in the story, its all about Angel and Cordy and Buffy and mostly Angel characters. Its the Casablanca story, told through the Bangel/Cangel love triangle. Just throwing it out there. I'll never read it again because I can't handle that again LOL.

Priceless

Scooby
If you like Yahtzee's writing, I recommend "As Time Goes By." This is the fic I was telling you @Priceless is Cangel and made me want to pull my hair out because it was so tough to read as a Bangel but it was so wonderfully written. Spike is not in the story, its all about Angel and Cordy and Buffy and mostly Angel characters. Its the Casablanca story, told through the Bangel/Cangel love triangle. Just throwing it out there. I'll never read it again because I can't handle that again LOL.

I would probably read a straight Cangel fic, but one that includes Buffy just doesn't feel right to me. I don't want to pit Cordy and Buffy, my two favourite female characters, against each other in that way and I think I can understand why you wanted to pull your hair out lol :)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn

Ha, yes, the first time I read Phoenix Burning I just may have started skimming a bit to make sure that Angel really showed up. Which is bad because it's the kind of story that doesn't lend itself to skimming! I enjoyed it more on my second read! :)

Overall I gotta say @Priceless that you took it very easy on us! The fic still respected Bangel, I liked that Buffy was able to open up to Spike and tell him that despite all Angel had done she still missed him.

I've finished, too, and I definitely agree with this. The story was well-done and I enjoyed it!

not a big fan of the final scene with Spike killing a girl while he kinda runs Casablanca for me lol.

This was the only thing I didn't like! I mean, it did remind me of the kind of thing that Spike would do in S2, and it is humorous, but it felt kinda too icky after the rest of the fic. But only minor points subtracted.

I have probably read close to a hundred fics (or maybe more who knows) and I will say that generally speaking I come across a LOT of Riley bashing and Cordy bashing but I don't see as much Spuffy bashing (not to say it doesn't exist).

As you would imagine Spuffy issues are addressed to a greater extent in post NFA fics. The good fic writers give respect to the feelings that Buffy had for Spike but because they are Bangel centric fics the feelings are explained away as not reaching the level of intensity of the feelings she has for Angel. Sometimes Spike is the one who tells Buffy that regardless of how she feels for him her heart is still with Angel and he steps aside so she can be happy.

I agree that Riley and Cordelia get bashed more than Spike. I feel like a good chunk of post-NFA fics kill Spike off in the final alley battle, leaving Angel as the lone survivor (often Shanshu'd). It also seems pretty popular to pair Spike off with Illyria or Faith.

I would probably read a straight Cangel fic, but one that includes Buffy just doesn't feel right to me. I don't want to pit Cordy and Buffy, my two favourite female characters, against each other in that way and I think I can understand why you wanted to pull your hair out lol :)

I'm a pretty diehard Bangel and I actually didn't want to pull my hair out. There were a few parts that were a bit uncomfortable, but the story handles both parts of the love triangle so well that I could go with it. I've read it two or three times now, in fact. I love Casablanca, too, and I think it's so clever how Yahtzee mapped the characters onto that setup. It never feels forced, and even though I know the entire plot, I was continually impressed with her twists. If I were forced to choose a favorite of Yahtzee's, I would actually pick that one over Phoenix Burning. (Don't kick me out of the club, @dcai0830!)

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I'm a pretty diehard Bangel and I actually didn't want to pull my hair out. There were a few parts that were a bit uncomfortable, but the story handles both parts of the love triangle so well that I could go with it. I've read it two or three times now, in fact. I love Casablanca, too, and I think it's so clever how Yahtzee mapped the characters onto that setup. It never feels forced, and even though I know the entire plot, I was continually impressed with her twists. If I were forced to choose a favorite of Yahtzee's, I would actually pick that one over Phoenix Burning. (Don't kick me out of the club, @dcai0830!)

If anything this shows you are a better person than me to be able to appreciate the beautiful story and writing despite the Cangel. It's a mental roadblock for me. I can't evolve past it. But I was proud of myself that I pushed through to the end. I just had lots of emotions.... I remember that fic made me cry plenty.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Just headed into the second chapter, and it's good, though I am taken out of it a bit by the grammar flaws. Hopefully I can power through them and hopefully they won't be as obvious later on. I am liking the set up so far.

Priceless

Scooby
Finished Chapter 10 and finally found out how Spike died and it wasn't very pleasant or quick. That made me sad. I did like that Angel and Spike would talk about Buffy and both of them forgot the colour of her eyes :( Maybe it's just because that was a sad chapter, but I'm missing the humour that Spike often brings to Spuffy fics. He can always be relied on for the snarky comment and I love it when the banter between him and Buffy is well written.

Top Bottom