• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Fantasy Island: What have they done to my beloved show?

white avenger

white avenger
"My dear guests, welcome to Fantasy Island." Ricardo Montalban, elegant, handsome, immaculate in his all white suit, welcomed his guests every week to a once in a lifetime self learning experience, Now, they give us this:

It looks like they've turned it into a freaking horror story. And, to add insult to injury, this phony Rourke doesn't wear a tie or even tuck in his shirt. First, Charlie's Angels, and now this! Abomination! Blasphemy! Atrocity! There is no dignity or tradition left in the world.

Next thing you know, they'll be coming up with a female 007. The world has gone to ruin.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think the trailer looked great! A nice way to update the premise of the show. The "monkey paw" FI stories were always the best and that's what this movie reminds me of. A24 has a good track record and really interested to see where they take this.

Priceless

Scooby
I think that looks as trashy as hell. But then the original Fantasy Island wasn't high art either.

And the fantasies . . . one woman wanted her daughter back, an understandable fantasy, no idea what the guys were doing, was their fantasy just to party? One guy seemed to want to kill an alien (??) and worst of all, a girl wanted to enact revenge on a school bully, which . . . she's got a fantasy trip of a lifetime so her life is not too bad and that's her fantasy? Ridiculous. That bully didn't seem to do her any harm at all.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
"My dear guests, welcome to Fantasy Island." Ricardo Montalban, elegant, handsome, immaculate in his all white suit, welcomed his guests every week to a once in a lifetime self learning experience, Now, they give us this:

It looks like they've turned it into a freaking horror story. And, to add insult to injury, this phony Rourke doesn't wear a tie or even tuck in his shirt. First, Charlie's Angels, and now this! Abomination! Blasphemy! Atrocity! There is no dignity or tradition left in the world.

Next thing you know, they'll be coming up with a female 007. The world has gone to ruin.
It also looks like a CW production. 🤮

white avenger

white avenger
A nice way to update the premise of the show. The "monkey paw"
Unless my memory fails me, the story of the Monkey's Paw was that you got your wish, but there were always tragic consequences. One man wanted a medal for bravery in the military, and was awarded one at the cost of one arm, a woman wished for a certain sum of money, and was given that exact amount when her son died the next day, and so forth. The "Fantasy Island" TV series depicted assorted people being granted their secret wish, yes, but there was never any real tragedy or horror involved, and they always ended up being a learning experience beneficial to the person making the wish. The previews of this movie just give me the impression of being another cheap horror movie. Te original Rourke and Tattoo must be spinning in their graves...

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
TV series depicted assorted people being granted their secret wish, yes, but there was never any real tragedy or horror involved,
Hence the updated concept. Otherwise just show the old TV series all over again if you "aren't allowed" to update themes and concepts.

BaskingINBangel

"Peanut butter, preferably crunchy!"
They could never replace Mr. Corinthian Leather, or "Da plane! Da Plane!"

That being said....this trailer kind of piqued my interest a little. I might have to watch it.

white avenger

white avenger
Hence the updated concept. Otherwise just show the old TV series all over again if you "aren't allowed" to update themes and concepts.
Yeah, update, fine. I get that. But there's such a thing of being updated so much that the whole story is changed. Just imagine if Iron Man and the Black Widow died, Captain America walked away from his duty just to snuggle up with his long lost love? Then Captain Marvel becomes a woman, and the guy who really is Captain Marvel changes his name to Shazam Next thing you know, Nancy Drew will be an adult sleeping with her boyfr...

I'm gonna just go over there in the corner and sulk for awhile now. Call me when they start a new TV show about Walker, Texas Ranger, and replace Chuck Norris with some geep who probably doesn't know a wheel kick from a spinning back kick. Then I'll know that, beyond any doubt, the world as I once knew it is gone forever.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
beyond any doubt, the world as I once knew it is gone forever.
The world you knew has been gone forever for awhile now. Accept and adapt or get used to a long time hanging out in that corner lamenting when a gallon of gas cost a quarter.

white avenger

white avenger
and adapt or get used to a long time hanging out in that corner lamenting when a gallon of gas cost a quarter.
More mourning than lamenting. It's much quieter and far more dignified. And, for the record, I've seen gas sell for ten cents a gallon.

I can take consolation, of course, in knowing that, when you're my age, these will be what you remember as the "good old days."

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
When is a fantasy not a fantasy? When it is Fantasy Island.
The original name of a series was reused but it is not the same as was. It is as close as the director could make this to
what was without being called to court for plagiarism.

The 'good old days?' even as far back as 1950 what good old days are you referring to and for who?

thrasherpix

Scooby
After I read a D&D novel with comedic elements, one satirized Fantasy Island and when someone realized I hadn't even heard of it he just had to educate me about it. I've only seen a couple of episodes that I recall, and I remember that my impression is that this is the perfect show to veg out to after a hard day at work. (And no point in binge watching which can also be relaxing.)

Of course I wanted to know the the whys and hows which he couldn't say much about, but someone else later told me that there was far more to Rourke than normally shown. And though I'm still unclear on what kind of entity Rourke was (I got the impression he was practically immortal, a supernatural figure of some kind that preferred to help humanity than prey on them) I do recall this scene, of Mr. Rourke arguing with Satan (or Mephistopheles anyway):

Mephistopheles lasts words in this scene is, "Thanks for the game, Rourke. We will play again. We have all eternity before us. And, sooner or later, I'm bound to win." (I wonder if "game" should be capitalized?)

Going by the movie trailer, I guess Mephistopheles finally won... :(

Top Bottom