• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Favorite Musical Number In "Once More With Feeling"?

I took a short vacation recently and ended up listening to the soundtrack of OMWF while on the road. After some thought on the episode's storyline and its amazing execution, I wanted to ask, what is your favorite musical number from Once More With Feeling, and why?

NokLyf

Give me something to sing about...
I love them all but for me it's Walk Through The Fire.

It's so momentous, the build up of each of the different verses. The way it brings it all together. It just feels epic even after all these years.

And that shot of the fire engines as they walk through is sublime.

vznspike

Potential
Black Thorn
It's a hard pick. Walk Through The Fire is great, and it fits the story perfectly and like @NokLyf said, feels epic, but as a JM fan I could make a case for Rest In Peace, plus it has my favourite line in the entire series and it's the sort of music I'd listen to day to day anyway.
Then I find I'll Never Tell so entertaining and well written and funny that I could also vote for on them

Priceless

Scooby
My favourite is Where Do We Go From Here. The tune is great and the lyrics are so fitting for the situation they find themselves and it leads into the Spuffy kiss, which is always a good thing to me.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
"That's What It's All About", the song sung by Sweet that starts off:

"Why'd you run away?
Don't you like my... style?"

Hinton Battle shows his versatility in this episode - he can sing, dance and talk with perfect comedic timing. He carries this episode more than any other actor.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
I would second Hinton Battle. Followed by closely by "Standing" by Anthony Steward Head, very beautiful introspective for Giles.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Definitely the Standing Reprise with Anthony Steward Head and Amber Benson; their voices go so great together and it's the only other song, besides Something to Sing About, that makes me cry thanks to the emotion they both sing with. I just love that one so much. All the songs are great, though :)

thrasherpix

Scooby
Hard for me. I think Walk Through the Fire, at least today. I can't remember what I've had chosen when I first saw it.

I do think that early one has some fun moments, and also a dire omen for the rest of the season of "if we're together" and then they almost immediately start falling apart from each other after that episode.

The ballet with Dawn in it, plus the tap dancing of ever so charismatic Sweet is a show stealer, though.

Wesxfred

You know what they say about payback...
Haha, me and my friends were at a disco once and convinced the DJ to play I'll never tell on the speaker. There were about five of us screaming the song out and everyone else was so confused because they had no idea what the song was from. What's weird is that the DJ seemed to recognize the song and started singing along with us. 😂 😂

So to answer your question. - I'll never tell is my favorite 😀

Moggin

Tasty Townie
Walk Through the Fire works really well because it has all the best singers really working together in one song, and the stakes are higher in this one than almost any other song. ASH gets to display some of his best vocals, aside from Where Do We go from Here? JM gets some nice harmony with Hinton Battle, and he gets to show off a range of emotions in a few short bars of music. Amber Benson's high notes are simply angelic, and this coupled with the focus on Tara's face in shadow seems to foreshadow Tara's demise on the show. Battle of course, is essential, as it is his voice that ties everyone together and he has the difficult task of making everyone sound better by simply harmonizing with the others. Still, Battle gets a few of his best notes here. Even Alyson's "I think this line is mostly filler" is unexpectedly hilarious.

All this being said, Rest in Peace was unexpectedly good! The first time I realized I was in for a musical episode, I held my breath when the music started on this one, because I liked the character a lot, and realized the actor's singing could really kill the role if done poorly. I was absolutely delighted to find he was one of the best singers in the show, and perfectly matched to the rocker sound one would expect from Spike! Spike absolutely had to have a rocker sound. No other would have worked for the character, and it's still one of the songs I keep returning to as a soundtrack.

Poor old Hinton Battle I fear gets forgotten about largely because he is so good, and no one else was expected to be so. Everyone gets hung up talking about the others because they were a delightful surprise, whereas Battle was expected to be superb.

Top Bottom