• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Favorite season for Xander Harris

What is your favorite season for Xander Harris?

• Season 1

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Season 2

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Season 3

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Season 4

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Season 5

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Season 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Season 7

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Season 8

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Season 9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Season 10

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I went with season 4, I think it's a season where he really finds himself, he tried the road trip and that didn't work, then he had various jobs, and was falling away from the other scoobies but in the end he found his place with them and with Anya.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Season 8.
Honestly this season Xander becomes what he's always wanted to be- pretty much an action hero. He's brave, cool in a crisis, gets witty one-liners, the only guy in a castle full of pretty, superpowered girls, half of whom have a crush on him (including Buffy at one point) and is rocking the eyepatch/turtleneck combo.

He helps Dawn out of her funk, teams up with Dracula so that old Drac-ey ends up respecting him, helps Buffy deal with her growing powers, knows romantic tragedy but also gets somewhat of a happy ending in that department.

Also it turns out he reacted to Angel/Twilight's actions the exact same way I would've- by trying to beat Angel's face in. :D

So yeah, even though some of this is undone in later seasons it's still Xander becoming his best self.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I kinda like the insecure teenager Xander in s2-3. He makes a whole bunch if mistakes, he things he's much cooler than he is, he doesn't really know his footing too well, really he's just the typical teenager. He thinks the world is his, yet doesn't realize how immature he really is. It's charming, he makes tons of mistakes, but he's really genuine, and he'd be a great friend to have. The only storyline that I don't like is the whole cheating with Willow, that whole thing was just dumb to me. But the rest, I love him in those seasons.

I agree though that he is at his peak as a character in s8. That's definitely the season he shines the most in.

SinisterPledge

Shipping Lander!
I kinda like the insecure teenager Xander in s2-3. He makes a whole bunch if mistakes, he things he's much cooler than he is, he doesn't really know his footing too well, really he's just the typical teenager. He thinks the world is his, yet doesn't realize how immature he really is. It's charming, he makes tons of mistakes, but he's really genuine, and he'd be a great friend to have. The only storyline that I don't like is the whole cheating with Willow, that whole thing was just dumb to me. But the rest, I love him in those seasons.

I agree though that he is at his peak as a character in s8. That's definitely the season he shines the most in.
Completely agree with this. Not the cheating with Willow part. I dunno it felt so right to me even though it was obviously wrong for many reasons! Their long lasting and strong friendship was sorta put on test when they both found different partners. I think it just had to happen. The tension had to get...un-tentionized...Yeah I'm just gonna make up words from now on... Anyways, I loved Xander since day one, but season 2-3 are definitely the seasons I like the most with Xander (and the show in general). Sadly the unjustified Xander-hate and neglect from the rest of the characters takes root in season 3.

Black Thorn
I've voted for Season 1 pretty much because I liked him straight away. I think his bravery is very admirable right from the start. Mostly because he's just a normal guy, he is constantly scared of things, but he steps up regardless. I mean Prophecy Girl is just a great episode for Xander. He gets rejected. Takes it hard and throws a bit of a strop. As soon as he hears Buffy is in trouble though, he snaps out of it and is desperate to help his friend. He goes banging on the door of one vampire who might kill him in the hope of dragging him along to help fight another vampire who might kill him and save his friend. Then you've got his standing up for the little guy in The Pack, saving Giles in The Puppet show and generally being amusing throughout.

The case for Season 8 is very solid as well though. He is the stand out character for that season. If it was a televised season it might have taken my vote.

Went with S2 but possibley could have picked any from the first three seasons. I still like him in the later seasons but just not as much.

Black Thorn
I voted season one.
Season two I was indifferent to him, then I grew to dislike the character.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I voted for S3 but really S2-3 I liked him the best. I'm not a huge Xander fan but he had some good episodes and moments that stood out to me the most in those 2 seasons.

UndeadAmerican

pathological idiot
Short answer: Seasons 3 and 4

Xander, while he is not my favorite character, holds a special place in my heart because he's..well he's basically me. I relate to Xander more than any other fictional character really, so I can't not love him. I'm the sidekick; not a badass or a brain, just me. And it's nice to see it on TV!

I'm the friend in the group that doesn't have any special talents (or I'm sure I would be the everyman in a fantasy Buffyverse too), I'm just me. In high school I was the dork who told stupid jokes (my best friends thought I was funny, but pretty sure most people didn't even know my name). I watched my friends get accepted into good schools and go to college, while I went into the working world and lived in my parents' basement (okay, so there's no past tense there; I'm still in this basement part of my life :p ). Failed road trips, failed relationships, stupid jokes, parent's basement, I have it all. I keep my friends laughing and I'm there for them whenever they need; I am Xander Harris. Y'know, if he was a girl.

There's a lot of things Xander says and does where I'm like, "Wow, what the hell Xander?!" and I want to not like him, I do. But I realize that it's me. I would trash talk Angel and Spike all the time too, even though it's immature. I see myself doing that. (I've fallen for a best friend too; and you can bet I had negative opinions of the losers he picked instead of me). The only thing I CANNOT see is the whole, "leaving my spouse-to-be at the wedding" thing, because I really would like to think that I would never ever do that haha.

"I don't handle rejection well. Funny, considering all the practice I've had, huh?"

"I saved the world with talking, from my mouth. My mouth saved the world"

"I'm not gonna waste the perfect comeback on you now. But don't think I don't have it. Oh yes, it's time will come!"

^These are all things I can literally hear myself saying. :p

When I watch s3 I really remember myself in highschool and feel nostalgic, so before I would have picked s3. But these days I think I'm leaning more toward s4, because that's kind of where I am in life right now. Sort of in this limbo of trying to figure stuff out while my longtime friends are doing their own thing. Road trips, job hopping, and trying to find my place. I think I'm starting to get a clue though, so maybe by this time next year I'll be able to relate to s5 Xander the most :D

In the midst of all this rambling there's an answer somewhere about how s4 Xander is my favorite cause he's me. Again, yknow, in man form. :p

Last edited:
Xander is brilliant in Season 7. He has finally grown up, he is happy in his own skin and is the confident and mature man he was meant to be. He has some of the best lines in the whole show in this season, including;

"They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie. To be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it. But I know. I see more than anybody realizes because...nobody's watching me. I saw you last night. I see you working here today. You're not special. You're extraordinary."

He shares responsibility for Dawn with Buffy, he's become a carer and father figure, partly replacing Giles. He is incredibly non-judgemental, a trait we've never seen from him before, and he tends to keep out of any controversial discussions this season. He can finally talk about his feelings with Anya in a mature way, and stands by his decision to not marry her, but is always loving and caring with her. Losing an eye only helps to make him more mature and compelling and highlights the incredible bravery he's shown over 7 season. I just love Xander in this season more than I ever have before.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Yeah, I'm with @Priceless on this one, I voted for S7. Granted, I've only read S8 of the comics, and only once so I don't think I can include that, but I really think that Xander is at his best in this season. At his most supportive, his most mature, and his most...everything.

I really don't understand how the majority of this fandom can call S7 the Spike season...

This thread existed since 2015 and I did not post anything??? But I did vote apparently.

My answer in 2015 was S8 as Xander's best season, and yeah, I can see why I'd pick S8. Xander continues his character growth from S7 in S8, but unlike S7, Xander is very central in S8. He's got an important job: Buffy's second in command and leader of the Scotland base. He's Buffy's eyes and ears. He's confident. He's in good shape.

Another important character development: He stopped jumping into a fight bigger than him and prefers assigning more capable people to do the task. Like when Willow was captured by the government. Buffy expected that Xander would accompany her on the Save Willow mission, but Xander asked her to pick her best Slayer. He thinks with his mind rather than his emotions.

Then there's the Xander/Renee relationship which I enjoyed, and Buffy's conflicted romantic feelings for Xander which I also liked, especially the issue where he lets Buffy down easy.

I also loved how the season continues Xander's most undeveloped/forgotten flaw: him bottling his sadness and grief inside. When Renee was killed, Xander didn't wanna talk about it and went on like nothing happened, but then the tragedy of Giles' death was the last straw. After ignoring several traumas and heartbreaks: Jesse, Insect Teacher, Hyena possession, Faith's attempted rape, Buffy, the loss of his eye, Anya, Renee.... Giles' death was when he finally snapped which will lead to Xander's best storyline IMO.

So.... I change my vote to S10. Xander's best season IMO.

Finally, Xander gets to have an arc. Finally Xander's inner demons are being challenged. Finally Xander does something about it. I loved Xander's arc from the end of S9 and all of S10.

I love how Xander's infamous hot-tempered anger returns in S9 with Xander beating Angel up and later barking at Dawn. I love it because it was present on the show but it was never dealt with on screen. Xander just grows up in S7 in the background. We didn't see it. Signs of Xander's anger issues show up in: Becoming, Revelations, Entropy and more episodes. S9 and S10 bring it back and address it. Xander acknowledges that he has a problem and goes to therapy. S10 shows how Xander benefited from therapy and how he could use his carpentry skills to help out demons in a hell dimension which was incredibly cool.

Plus, S10 has Spander friendship, them living together and raising kittens.

So, yep, my vote goes to S10.

Puppet
Puppet
I really need to read beyond S8 soon :D
P
Priceless
Xander has a great arc in S10 definitely

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Well despite the fact that I love Xander and appreciate his character throughout, he has that quality where he does a lot of stuff to piss me off. But he does barely any of that in season 7. He's more mature and consistent, and he doesn't make some huge mistake that ruins everything. So I voted season 7 by default.

Xander is brilliant in Season 7. He has finally grown up, he is happy in his own skin and is the confident and mature man he was meant to be. He has some of the best lines in the whole show in this season, including;

"They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie. To be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it. But I know. I see more than anybody realizes because...nobody's watching me. I saw you last night. I see you working here today. You're not special. You're extraordinary."
I hate this speech because it's based on the stupid premise that Xander has never saved the day. Before this quote, Xander also idiotically praises Oz for his incredibly useless, in fact, dangerous, superpowers, which is complete non-sense. They will never know how tough it is... who are they, exactly? Willow who spent years helping the good fight without any combat useful magic? Anya, who didn't have any powers after losing her demonic powers? Giles, whose magic is useful in a fight about once every three seasons?

For me, it's clearly S2 when Xander gets to be flawed but heroic, when he plays an important role as befitting a main character (as opposed to S7 where you can literally remove him and the main plot won't change at all), saves Buffy sometimes, gets saved by her even more times, makes important decisions, etc. Instead of assuming his friendship with Willow and Buffy is great and all, we are actually shown that, in every episode, many times, something that is sorely missing from the latter seasons which have plenty of telling us that but very little showing.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Instead of assuming his friendship with Willow and Buffy is great and all, we are actually shown that, in every episode, many times, something that is sorely missing from the latter seasons which have plenty of telling us that but very little showing.
Pffff! Buffy and Xander in early season 7 is the best!

Top Bottom